Vega accessories

Guest removed-14

Guest andrewdolphin

vegaaccs - any news on the discount codes for the official case?

Have just ordered a Vega and was looking for a case - at £20 I'd go for the official one but at £30 I think I'd take the chance with one of the Chinese "Epad" cases.

Thanks

Guest Thresherinc
Also, there is a 10" tablet neoprene sleeve now available on Currys/PCWorld. This was designed to fit the Advent Vega perfectly.

Available here

My brother bought me one of these for Xmas, it's perfect for my needs, not an awful lot of drop protection though, be careful.

Guest danielj58

Has anyone tried a Kindle DX silicone skin? Seem to be similar dimensions to the vega...

If not, I've ordered one and will let you all know how I get on with it!

Guest mrmiyagi
Got the same case delivered from these guys for about £6.50

Case link

Took about 2 weeks.

Have ordered a 10" screen protector as well for about £2. Got them to measure it and it should fit fine.

I think accessories for the zt-180 epad should fit the vega as it's similar size

Well the case looks great! How does the Vega fit inside? Also can use this case/stand put the Vega at a good angle to type on at a desk? That would be awesome if so!

Edited by mrmiyagi

Guest TylerDurdenK

Following Bobblers lead I have had a go at the carbon fibre effect wrapping.

It's not perfect as I have a few small bubbles I can't seem to get our, but overall I'm quite happy. Only cost me £1.98 including postage!

IMG_20110112_221019.jpg

IMG_20110112_221052.jpg

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest Bobbler

Nice one Tyler. Bubbles should go down of their own accord in a day or so, if you still have them then a sharp small pin to the EDGE of the bubble should take care of it and leave nothing visible too

Guest warriorscot

How easy is it to apply the carbon fiber wrapping. I've never done anything like that before really is there anything specific you need to do to use it? Does anyone fancy writing a little tutorial/How to on doing it so that we can give it a go with less risk of making a complete ass of it.

Guest Bobbler

And even easier with 3M Di Noc or Hexis based carbon films. The cheap stuff I got from ebay for 99p a piece (A4 sized) is not difficult but those other ones go on a lot easier. This stuff is a little fragile by comparison and doesn't cope well with being taken off and re-set as well leaving marks in the decorative finish - it can be warmed and they will vanish though.

3m and Hexis both have a sort of air release system too, means bubbles are easy to push out and don't get trapped.

The basic thing is, take your time as said. When rubbing the film down, either use a soft piece of rubber (I have a 3M gold card applicator I got ages ago) or wrap a cloth over the edge of a credit card. You can scratch the film finish if you use a hard edge on it.

Take the back off your Vega will make it really easy, position the film centrally allowing some over hang all round, trim to approx size with sharp scissors or knife, tuck over edges and trim to final size. Leave excess on corner areas. Trim round the little plastic snap clips so that it will fit together nice. A little extra trimming is needed around some of the sockets - headphone and SD card area for example to make sure it doesn't get blocked.

Finally the corners, warm the film a little and pull them over to get a nice finish with no folds etc

Screw holes I warmed a little and pushed in with a bic pen lid, made sure they sort of go in properly and look neat even without the rubber bungs (which will get lost no doubt!)

Warm speaker areas push down film quite firmly with your finger to get the profile and then trim to size. I used a plectrum to push it in nice and neat while the film was warm here.

Reassemble your Vega and admire your work.

Plenty of other options too instead of carbon, Hexis and 3M both do a whole rainbow of colours and finishes in vinyl film, Hexis have a real nice paint flip effect one out too which I may see if I can get a sample of :D

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en.../DinocSelector/

http://www.hexis.co.uk/whatsnew/HX/HX30000...p;%20Prices.pdf - Warning PDF link - about 1.2 meg

If any one is after a car charger, brought one of these today.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=228639

The larger of the two yellow tipped ends works fine and for 9 quid a bit of a bargain.

Don't intend to use the Vega as a gps but it may keep my passengers entertained on long trips.

HTH

Just picked mine up tonight, but wanted to check what setting you have the slider on??

The plug on the Vega says it's output is 12v @ 1A, so was going to have the slider all the way to the right (12V @ MAX of 3000mA), or is this likely to turn my Vega into a pool of melted plastic?

For anyone else, other options are 1.5V / 3V / 4.5V / 5V / 6V / 9V / 12V.

If this works i'm in heaven!! When my £5 bluetooth GPS unit arrives - I have the best in car entertainment system ever! (and prob the largest GPS screen anyone has ever seen ;)

Guest Dart Maul
And even easier with 3M Di Noc or Hexis based carbon films. The cheap stuff I got from ebay for 99p a piece (A4 sized) is not difficult but those other ones go on a lot easier. This stuff is a little fragile by comparison and doesn't cope well with being taken off and re-set as well leaving marks in the decorative finish - it can be warmed and they will vanish though.

3m and Hexis both have a sort of air release system too, means bubbles are easy to push out and don't get trapped.

The basic thing is, take your time as said. When rubbing the film down, either use a soft piece of rubber (I have a 3M gold card applicator I got ages ago) or wrap a cloth over the edge of a credit card. You can scratch the film finish if you use a hard edge on it.

Take the back off your Vega will make it really easy, position the film centrally allowing some over hang all round, trim to approx size with sharp scissors or knife, tuck over edges and trim to final size. Leave excess on corner areas. Trim round the little plastic snap clips so that it will fit together nice. A little extra trimming is needed around some of the sockets - headphone and SD card area for example to make sure it doesn't get blocked.

Finally the corners, warm the film a little and pull them over to get a nice finish with no folds etc

Screw holes I warmed a little and pushed in with a bic pen lid, made sure they sort of go in properly and look neat even without the rubber bungs (which will get lost no doubt!)

Warm speaker areas push down film quite firmly with your finger to get the profile and then trim to size. I used a plectrum to push it in nice and neat while the film was warm here.

Reassemble your Vega and admire your work.

Plenty of other options too instead of carbon, Hexis and 3M both do a whole rainbow of colours and finishes in vinyl film, Hexis have a real nice paint flip effect one out too which I may see if I can get a sample of ;)

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en.../DinocSelector/

http://www.hexis.co.uk/whatsnew/HX/HX30000...p;%20Prices.pdf - Warning PDF link - about 1.2 meg

How do you take the back off the tab?

Are there screws under the rubber feet?

Thanks in advance

How do you take the back off the tab?

Are there screws under the rubber feet?

Thanks in advance

Yes - Unscrew them and a light pull will get you past the clips. Just don't rip it out and you'll be fine...

Guest Squire_Au
Just picked mine up tonight, but wanted to check what setting you have the slider on??

The plug on the Vega says it's output is 12v @ 1A, so was going to have the slider all the way to the right (12V @ MAX of 3000mA), or is this likely to turn my Vega into a pool of melted plastic?

For anyone else, other options are 1.5V / 3V / 4.5V / 5V / 6V / 9V / 12V.

If this works i'm in heaven!! When my £5 bluetooth GPS unit arrives - I have the best in car entertainment system ever! (and prob the largest GPS screen anyone has ever seen ;)

The Vega needs 12V... as long as the current capacity of the charger is sufficient, it will NOT blow your Vega. The Vega will simply take whatever current it needs, up to 1A. I was told by my vendor that connecting to a car battery directly will dramatically reduce the Vega battery life, because the output of a car battery is anything from 12.6 to 14V, maybe more if it's getting a heavy charge from the car alternator. Anything higher than 12V is a problem.

I'm thinking of buying a car adaptor as well. I go camping, and use a big 100Ah deep cycle battery to power my tent lights, my mobile phone charger, my dreambook, etc. and I currently plug the Vega AC adaptor into a little 100W 240VAC inverter that connects to my battery. So it converts 13VDC from the battery to 240VAC at the inverter to 12VDC at the Vega power input. And the inverter or the power adaptor causes a hell of a lot of noise through my headphones when I'm listening to music. Would be nice to eliminate this.

Squire

The Vega needs 12V... as long as the current capacity of the charger is sufficient, it will NOT blow your Vega. The Vega will simply take whatever current it needs, up to 1A. I was told by my vendor that connecting to a car battery directly will dramatically reduce the Vega battery life, because the output of a car battery is anything from 12.6 to 14V, maybe more if it's getting a heavy charge from the car alternator. Anything higher than 12V is a problem.

I'm thinking of buying a car adaptor as well. I go camping, and use a big 100Ah deep cycle battery to power my tent lights, my mobile phone charger, my dreambook, etc. and I currently plug the Vega AC adaptor into a little 100W 240VAC inverter that connects to my battery. So it converts 13VDC from the battery to 240VAC at the inverter to 12VDC at the Vega power input. And the inverter or the power adaptor causes a hell of a lot of noise through my headphones when I'm listening to music. Would be nice to eliminate this.

Squire

Well you can'r do any better than the car charger I bought, (linked above). It has 6 different tips, so other gadgets can be swapped in simply by changing the tip, and the variable Voltage from 1.5v - 12v will help with that also.

Well chuffed - Shame the old £5 Gps hasn't turned up yet - the company got rave reports on here as well!

Try this stand its for the ipad but will fit the Vega and its so cheap,

http://www.memorybits.co.uk/shop/clearance...-(black)-/19878

Thanks David but it's more a case/cover im after. I find the advent one overpriced tbh.

EDIT,, Going to try this one from the link at the top of the page http://www.nowsupplier.com/10-tablet-pc-ex...ml?currency=GBP

Edited by Ste_B

Guest andrewdolphin

I'll hold on a day or two then ;)

Thanks mate

I've just ordered one of those ZT180 cases from a UK seller (needed it quickly for a holiday) - should be here this week so I'll post a "review" when it gets here.