Vega accessories

Guest removed-14

Guest steveo7653

Hi, I've been lurking here ever since I got my Vega a few weeks ago. My son Daniel designed this stand for me out of his Knexx and I've been using it quite successfully until I can get a proper dock. It's extremely strong and very lightweight and more importantly gives me a good viewing angle on the Vega screen. Anyway I hope it might provide inspiration to you fellow DIY'ers. Just on another subject I found the Currys screen protector to be a complete waste of 19 euro. Its very unforgiving to work with and your chances of lining it up correctly first time are next to nil given the size of the screen. Subsequent attempts just make matters worse. Anyway I've ordered 2 Exim ones on ebay for a tenner so hopefully I'll make a better job of it next time.

Regards

Steveo

PS - Just to let you know that the 2x Exim anti-glare protectors eventually arrived from Hong Kong. They are absolutely ideal. No problems applying and they really cut down that crazy piano black shine you get from a Vega. Even seem to improve the viewing angle slightly.

post-875395-1304593186_thumb.jpg

post-875395-1304593212_thumb.jpg

post-875395-1304593234_thumb.jpg

Edited by steveo7653

Guest Blujaq

Agreed about the stock protection film, very matt and horrible to use. The Exim one is much better.

Love the diy stand but I do recommend the dock for the vega. Very useful and have used it like a laptop with a keyboard and mouse and have some portable speakers in it which are usb powered from usb too.

Guest MarkBR

Just a comment on the official Advent Vega Folio case ...

I think it's really good! I have seen lots of negative comments here, but I wonder if partly that's because it's not totally clear at first how it should be used:

* the long strap with the popper connects to the bottom of the case to form a stand. When not in use connects back to the inside of the case.

* the extra bit of "leather" tucks under the Vega

* the elasticated strap on the inside cover should be pulled over the lower cover to hold the whole thing tight and closed, It also neatly covers the popper hole so makes the case look neat.

I can't see how the Vega can fall out when properly secured in this way.

The only issue is durability that some people mentioned; time will tell but so far I'm happy - especially as I didn't pay the full £29.99 but just £20 on Ebay!

Cheers

M.

Guest sipart
New release Foldable Stand Leather Case For 10" Android Viewsonic Viewpad 10S / Advent Vega Tablet

http://witglobal.com/goods-3588-New+releas...+Shipping+.html

This is virtually the same and much cheaper.

http://www.nowsupplier.com/10-tablet-pc-ex...ase-p-1556.html

I have had mine pretty much as long as I have had my Vega (5 months) and quality is excellent and fit is near perfect (it does cover the camera and the ports on the right - but all buttons are accessible/pressable).

Mentioned a couple of times in this very thread:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1527756

Guest sipart

Thought I'd share this as it's perfect for the Vega.

To access more files from the many spare microSD cards I have is a bit of a pain, I have a card reader that I can plug the card into but when it's on your lap or in the car/bus/plane etc it's a bit messy with a cable and card reader dangling out.

What I really needed was a small microSD reader. Ebay was my first port of call which lead me to 7dayshop:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_in...ducts_id=110310

It's actually a little better if you remove the circular cover that the 'stick' slots into (easily pried off and back on) - then you only have a small protrusion out the side of the Vega.

And it's only £1.49! Works fine with microSD HC cards. It has a small plastic door which lifts to expose the microSD slot, slot the card in and then the cover shuts back down.

As long as you have the Vega booted into slave mode you can easily hold/carry the Vega with extra storage and minimal protrusions.

Edited by sipart

Guest premieral
Just a comment on the official Advent Vega Folio case ...

I think it's really good! I have seen lots of negative comments here, but I wonder if partly that's because it's not totally clear at first how it should be used:

* the long strap with the popper connects to the bottom of the case to form a stand. When not in use connects back to the inside of the case.

* the extra bit of "leather" tucks under the Vega

* the elasticated strap on the inside cover should be pulled over the lower cover to hold the whole thing tight and closed, It also neatly covers the popper hole so makes the case look neat.

I can't see how the Vega can fall out when properly secured in this way.

The only issue is durability that some people mentioned; time will tell but so far I'm happy - especially as I didn't pay the full £29.99 but just £20 on Ebay!

Cheers

M.

Any chance you can show with pics as I can't find the elasticated strap on the inside cover to hold it in tight :unsure: cheers

Guest MarkBR
Any chance you can show with pics as I can't find the elasticated strap on the inside cover to hold it in tight :unsure: cheers

Ok no prob, will upload later today.

M.

Guest MarkBR

Here are some pics which hopefully make it clearer!

M.

post-214461-1305015200_thumb.jpg

post-214461-1305015233_thumb.jpg

post-214461-1305015262_thumb.jpg

post-214461-1305015281_thumb.jpg

Guest mitchb23
This is virtually the same and much cheaper.

http://www.nowsupplier.com/10-tablet-pc-ex...ase-p-1556.html

I have had mine pretty much as long as I have had my Vega (5 months) and quality is excellent and fit is near perfect (it does cover the camera and the ports on the right - but all buttons are accessible/pressable).

Mentioned a couple of times in this very thread:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1527756

How long did it take to come?

Every now supplier review I have seen says they are con artists, however for a $10 case id take a shot

Guest premieral
Here are some pics which hopefully make it clearer!

M.

much clearer thanks Mark, unfortunately they have changed the design since i bought mine as the older versions dont have the inside elasticated strap we have a pocket :unsure: yours looks so much better

regards

al

Guest MarkBR
much clearer thanks Mark, unfortunately they have changed the design since i bought mine as the older versions dont have the inside elasticated strap we have a pocket :unsure: yours looks so much better

regards

al

Ahh that explains a lot, didin't realise there were different designs! I guess I was lucky to get the newer version on Ebay.

M.

Guest sipart
How long did it take to come?

Every now supplier review I have seen says they are con artists, however for a $10 case id take a shot

Arrived after about 2 weeks. You use paypal to pay so no credit card details going to them. Got 5 emails, order confirmation, paypal payment, order received after payment email, invoice email and then shipping email confirmation. Seemed as professional as any other Chinese/ebay seller.

It comes direct from China so you have to expect to wait a while.

Order details below - have never used the screen protector as the Vega doesn't really get the abuse a smartphone gets and the case protects it when not in use.

Description Unit price Qty Amount

10" Tablet PC Exquisite Leather Case

Item Number IA001556 6.29 GBP 1 £6.29 GBP

Super Clear Screen Protector Film for 10" Android Tablet

Item Number SP001572 1.90 GBP 1 £1.90 GBP

Subtotal £8.19 GBP

Total £8.19 GBP

Payment £8.19 GBP

Charge will appear on your credit card statement as 'PAYPAL *GOODSALE200'

Edited by sipart

Guest comicbookguy
The case online now can be a stand.

Here is an image.

mkdqb.jpg

had the case since i bought my vega 8 weeks ago. how the f did i miss that? lol

Guest beepo666
had the case since i bought my vega 8 weeks ago. how the f did i miss that? lol

OMG just pulled the strap on my case (on the sleeve inside) to realise it's held in place with a pop button, now my Vega stands properly :-)

Almost as good as Honeycomb on Vega, thanks a lot :-)

Guest jimmy191
OMG just pulled the strap on my case (on the sleeve inside) to realise it's held in place with a pop button, now my Vega stands properly :-)

I did exactly the same too.

I bought the case from currys with my vega as I got them to discount it and give me 2 months free breakdown cover. When I got home I was fuming since it said "stand functionality" and all I could figure out was using the leather strap on the front to connect and make a weak stand, I even said "they could've made this longer and it'd work properly.... a couple of days later I noticed the long fabric strap on the inside had a popper!

One thing I was looking for was a book stand so I could stand it vertically instead of horizontally to read ebooks. I couldn't find anything in town then went to my local market to check. Stumbling accross a pottery shop I had an idea and asked them for a large plate stand, it works perfectly for £1!

post-881418-1305060381_thumb.jpg

Not sure where you can buy them online, but something foldable would be nice. Getting a book or plate stand saves a ton on buying one "made for tablets".

Guest comicbookguy
Agreed about the stock protection film, very matt and horrible to use. The Exim one is much better.

Love the diy stand but I do recommend the dock for the vega. Very useful and have used it like a laptop with a keyboard and mouse and have some portable speakers in it which are usb powered from usb too.

just to confirm- you have usb speakers running both power and audio thru a usb port on the dock? i currently have an old pair of mains pc speakers running thru the dock 3.5 jack, but was looking to only use 1 mains plug for the whole setup....

Guest comicbookguy

even worse, i realised weeks ago that it popped off, but not where else it would pop to.....

Guest comicbookguy

just had another thought- the only real complaint i have with the "official" folio case is that the top corner of the open end of the main pocket (where the volume/ back keys are) is lifting up, making the fit of the vega a little loose. so....

i propose a small mod- the pocket on the inside is next to useless (i have a very big cleaning cloth which is stowed either behind the vega or on top of the screen) but it is made from the same PU stuff as the outside :unsure:

think i might remove the pocket and make a velcro strap to wrap over the usb door between the front and back of the case. (don't think i'll be carrying it around too much with the usb door open). should make the case more secure.

there may even be enough left to mirror it at the other end with a fake patch, but now that i think about it it's a major fail from the manufacturer- they could have just extended the bevel surround in that area

. and put another popper on the back for my £20.....

will post pics if i have the guts to take a knife to it :/

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest Snowdan
Finally decided to ditch the slip case I made from a cut-down padded bag and several yards of parcel tape on the day my Vega arrived, and the one mentioned here seemed to fit the bill. If there is anybody else out there who likes this style of case I can confirm that it is a very good fit. If you have kept the white foam sheet that came in the Vega box you can put that in the case and leave it there (it's an EXACT fit). Slide the Vega into the case with its screen side to the foam and you have a very nicely padded tablet (see photos). For the price (£4.49) I found it a good buy. As it happens it's also a good fit for my Acer Aspire One netbook, so I'll be buying a second one.

post-797214-1295383957_thumb.jpg

post-797214-1295383983_thumb.jpg

Just to add to this very long thread a thanks to xathras for the photos and padding suggestion. I got one of these cases for £3 on ebay all the black/red ones seem to be the same just search for "10.2 neoprene" and a million will come up.

I have double sided taped the foam padding that come in the Vegas box into the back of the case so it does not pop out when I put the Vega in and out. If anything is is ever so slightly tight but as I just wanted a bit of scratch/bump protection when its in my bag its fantastic and again £3 :unsure: .

Snowdan.

Edited by Snowdan