Advent Vega: Games that work full-screen

Guest 5c00ter

Guest zzleezz

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like using your Vega DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT install Splode.... I did, showed it to my wife and that's the last I've seen of it :-(

Guest Pombolo

Hawx is working perfectly, in fact a lot of Gameloft games a running full screen, but there s a lot of graphics problems with them, like Brothers in arms 2 with a lot of missings textures,

Guest zerocool2025
Hawx is working perfectly, in fact a lot of Gameloft games a running full screen, but there s a lot of graphics problems with them, like Brothers in arms 2 with a lot of missings textures,

What device (Tab,HTC etc) are you guys selecting when downloading a gameloft published game?

Guest Lennyuk

Those of you who are running emulators on the vega fine, how are you controlling them? if by the 'virtual' on screen controls does the lack of perfected multitouch damage gameplay?

Guest Sanddancer75
Those of you who are running emulators on the vega fine, how are you controlling them? if by the 'virtual' on screen controls does the lack of perfected multitouch damage gameplay?

I tried a Classic Controller via a Wiimote connected over bluetooth but wasn't impressed with it. There was a bluetooth joypad that came out a couple of years ago which should work too, but I don't think they're made anymore & they go for silly money. Something else will have to come along soon!?

Guest warriorscot

I've never really had a problem with the multi-touch on my vega in real use. For games it works fine however I do have a wiimote I use on occasion for sega games. I don't use it for Play-station games because its shy four buttons but thats also a problem with the emulator as well because you can't reach the shoulder buttons.

Guest Logseman

Could a PS3 gamepad be used taking advantage of the USB host mode? I've tried to connect it but had no luck. It wasn't recognised as a source of input.

Guest thedicemaster

PS3 controllers don't behave like standard controllers, and the vega can't even handle a normal USB gamepad unless it cheats by actually being a keyboard.

Guest Squire_Au

Sudoku Challenge version 1.02 works great in full screen. The touch screen makes the '7' on the onscreen keypad a little difficult in landscape, as it's at the bottom right hand of the screen. And my touch screen is not perfect at the screen corners. I've tried a lot of Sudoku apps, this one is the best. Pity you can't enter your own numbers on a blank grid.

Twisty version 0.82 (z machine emulator) which plays old text based adventures (remember "Adventure", "Zork", "Starcross", "Planetfall" etc?). Although the text size is fixed, and sometimes a little too small. Those old text games are collosal time wasters, and a whole lot of fun.

FreeCell version 1.3.0 works well. Although I'd love someone to port the Windows 7 version of freecell.

I've tried GensOid, only works in portrait, which shrinks the image a bit. Using Landscape you lose the onscreen d-pad. A pity, because it runs well, graphics and audio perfect. I'm a huge fan of Sonic the Hedgehog, the original. And part 2, and part 3, and Sonic and Knuckles, ... I would ABSO-freaking-LUTELY pay extra for gensoid if I could use a USB joypad with it. And get it into true full-screen.

Squire.

Guest Sir Gash

There is a new app that just hit the Android Market which might work with the Vega and make gaming a bit better (especially for emulators):

http://www.appbrain.com/app/gamepad-ime/de.killig.gamepadime

It allows USB game controllers to work on Android (USB host mode required) and as it is an IME, in theory it will work with any game that has keyboard support. I have not tested it yet as I cannot find my old USB PC gamepads, if anyone else has one handy and they would like to give it a try then let us know how you get on!

Guest Sanddancer75
There is a new app that just hit the Android Market which might work with the Vega and make gaming a bit better (especially for emulators):

http://www.appbrain.com/app/gamepad-ime/de.killig.gamepadime

It allows USB game controllers to work on Android (USB host mode required) and as it is an IME, in theory it will work with any game that has keyboard support. I have not tested it yet as I cannot find my old USB PC gamepads, if anyone else has one handy and they would like to give it a try then let us know how you get on!

Maybe it's just me, but I've tried this with a wired 360 controller & got nothing out of it. It's good to see someone's working on it though.

Guest thedicemaster

unfortunately it won't work on a lot of tablets(including ours)

at least not at this time.

how will you be opening a virtual keyboard in a game/emulator? only way to open it is to tap a text-entry area(none of those in emulators while a rom is loaded) or to long-press menu(no long presses possible with the unusual button set-up on the vega)

aside from that, it doesn't seem to detect the vega's usb port anyway.

someone should just make some universal USB gamepad that uses keyboard-hardware.

... reminds me, i should try my DDR dance mat, mine uses keyboard output so it should work ;)

Edited by thedicemaster

Guest Bobbler

how will you be opening a virtual keyboard in a game/emulator? only way to open it is to tap a text-entry area(none of those in emulators while a rom is loaded) or to long-press menu(no long presses possible with the unusual button set-up on the vega)

someone should just make some universal USB gamepad that uses keyboard-hardware.

... reminds me, i should try my DDR dance mat, mine uses keyboard output so it should work ;)

A keyboard hack is relatively easy thing to accomplish. Was using one for years inside my arcade machine before I bought a proper dedicated interface.

Only thing you have to be careful of is the number of keys that they recognise at the same time, a lot are limited to 2 or 3 keypresses. While this may sound "ok" it's not going to work very well on things like say Street Fighter etc - diagonal up right is 2 keys, plus up to 3 fire buttons to initiate a special move for example. If you dream of two player Mario Kart running over the HDMI lead to a 46" screen then you are running low on options without going full hardware interface such as an IPAC. http://www.ultimarc.com/minipac.html - was what I used to use

Starting to wish I hadn't sold my arcade bits now, could have had a good go at making a controller interface using it.

Guest David.m

Can you not use button saviour for that.

Guest thedicemaster

button saviour can't send long-press signals to android.

the closest it can do is replicating the responses(for example: it doesn't use the native android recently-used screen for long-press on home)

and it can't replicate long-press menu yet.

Guest Bobbler
A keyboard hack is relatively easy thing to accomplish. Was using one for years inside my arcade machine before I bought a proper dedicated interface.

Only thing you have to be careful of is the number of keys that they recognise at the same time, a lot are limited to 2 or 3 keypresses. While this may sound "ok" it's not going to work very well on things like say Street Fighter etc - diagonal up right is 2 keys, plus up to 3 fire buttons to initiate a special move for example. If you dream of two player Mario Kart running over the HDMI lead to a 46" screen then you are running low on options without going full hardware interface such as an IPAC. http://www.ultimarc.com/minipac.html - was what I used to use

Starting to wish I hadn't sold my arcade bits now, could have had a good go at making a controller interface using it.

So a quick update, so far not one USB based controller I have works with the Vega - all of them power up, but I suspect this is just result of the USB power feeds in the connection being switched to on.

I have attempted to use the GamepadIME driver from the market but it makes no odds.

Attempted to get the following to work:

Xbox 360 Wired Controller - lights up, never stops flashing the light quadrants

Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, with the Microsoft Wireless PC adapter - syncs with the wireless dongle, never stops flashing the light quadrants

Xbox 360 Hori Fighting Stick EX2 - lights up, never stops flashing the light quadrants

Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad Pro - nothing, but it has no lights or anything to it.

Saitek Cyborg 3d Gold - nothing, again no lights though on this device

Play.com Playstation to USB adapter - lights up as do the "analogue" button on the PS1 joypad, tried with a original one and a Dual Shock analogue.

I really need to start figuring how to mess about with the Vega at a different level if I want to see what is going on with this.

Guest Sir Gash
So a quick update, so far not one USB based controller I have works with the Vega - all of them power up, but I suspect this is just result of the USB power feeds in the connection being switched to on.

I have attempted to use the GamepadIME driver from the market but it makes no odds.

Attempted to get the following to work:

Xbox 360 Wired Controller - lights up, never stops flashing the light quadrants

Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, with the Microsoft Wireless PC adapter - syncs with the wireless dongle, never stops flashing the light quadrants

Xbox 360 Hori Fighting Stick EX2 - lights up, never stops flashing the light quadrants

Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad Pro - nothing, but it has no lights or anything to it.

Saitek Cyborg 3d Gold - nothing, again no lights though on this device

Play.com Playstation to USB adapter - lights up as do the "analogue" button on the PS1 joypad, tried with a original one and a Dual Shock analogue.

I really need to start figuring how to mess about with the Vega at a different level if I want to see what is going on with this.

I have been using this app to use a Wiimote controller and it works very well:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/wiimote-contro...d.WiiUseAndroid

I have only tried it with Tiger SNES Emulator but, looking at the options, it also supports the Nunchuck and the Classic Controller too.

Guest thedicemaster

worms works great, other than the 1 issue that it couldn't download the additional sdcard data for me but that wasn't a big problem because i could just grab that from my phone.

it looks almost as if it was made with tablets in mind, and runs very smooth when powered by the tegra2.