MoDaCo Custom r6 discussion archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest deadite66

vmware player is a free virtual machine, you can run a different OS within another one.

so i can flash the modaco firmware from that without having to mess around with windows drivers.

Guest deadite66

easier is subjective.

1. install vmware player

2. download and unzip this

3. double click TinyCoreLinux.vmx to start up the VM.

4. connect up the vega to the pc with the usb cable

5. connect the vega to the VM.

vmware_harmony.jpg

6. startup the browser

vmware_harmony_browser.jpg

7. download the new firmware

8. start up aterm

vmware_harmony_aterm.jpg

9. type mkdir firmware1 (can be any name)

10. type unzip firmware-file-name.zip (you can press tab to auto complete the filename) -d firmware1

11. type cd firmware1

12. check adb can see the vega, type ./adb-linux devices

hopefully you'll see the vega listed.

vmware_harmony_adb-devices.jpg

13. type ./install-linux and hopefully it will start uploading the new firmware.

Guest griff_dai
easier is subjective.

1. install vmware player

2. download and unzip this

3. double click TinyCoreLinux.vmx to start up the VM.

4. connect up the vega to the pc with the usb cable

5. connect the vega to the VM.

vmware_harmony.jpg

6. startup the browser

vmware_harmony_browser.jpg

7. download the new firmware

8. start up aterm

vmware_harmony_aterm.jpg

9. type mkdir firmware1 (can be any name)

10. type unzip firmware-file-name.zip (you can press tab to auto complete the filename) -d firmware1

11. type cd firmware1

12. check adb can see the vega, type ./adb-linux devices

hopefully you'll see the vega listed.

vmware_harmony_adb-devices.jpg

13. type ./install-linux and hopefully it will start uploading the new firmware.

well, if your correct and this works you will be elevated to demi god status

however, I still cannot get my hands on my Vega as the GF is defending it with her life (and has hidden it well) to the 25th :'(

Guest warriorscot

I was wondering if someone could help me with some quick questions about the adb and accessing it in a command line. Most of the guides I've found online about it are fairly old and while probably accurate I don't wan't to rely on something over a year old when it comes to new hardware especially considering that android as an OS is still fairly new.

Most tell you to get the android SDK from google however I though there was a copy inside the r4-customrom and I want to know if that is all I need to get the adb running and letting me run commands from my PC. I actually tried what to me seemed the easiest thing and just putting the adb windows files(exe and dll) in the system32 folder so that I could run it from anywhere but I still can't get it to show up as a valid command.

I also don't want to start messing with things that might screw up installing a modaco rom updates in the future or just when I want to upgrade the firmware and have to reapply it anyway. The r4 driver is apparently custom so I don't want to install anything from google that will reset anything like that.

I quite want to be able to easily access the adb in the command line and install programs and make changes from my PC along with other things like taking screen shots. I actually tried looking on here for a tutorial on adb or something along those lines but couldn't find it either browsing or searching even the beginners forum is sparce with hard info.

sorry double post

from windows i created a folder called advent and unzip all of those r4 files into that c:/Advent folder.

from there i would open a cmd prompt to c:/Advent

then issue adb commands like this

c:/Advent/adb-windows start-server

or

c:/Advent/adb-windows push

etc.

hope this was helpful.

swarrens,

Again thanks for the help.

I am indeed missing the Android Developer Bridge in Device Manager. It says NVIDIA TEGRA 2 USB Device.

I'm on windows 7 32bit, i right clicked on the NVIDIA TEGRA 2 USB Device, and did the update driver on that using the usb driver mentioned. That sorted everything out and Pauls pack went on fine. Hope this helps

Guest andyh1877

im having probs to in device manager mine says nvidia android composite device is that incorrect ?

i am also having probs putting the correct command promt in ,,,,,,,,, ive unzipped al the files into a folder on c drive ---- c:advent vega ...... but when i try to open a coomand promp it comes up like this c:\users\pcname> what am i doing wrong ? have i not install driver correctly,, i get this error adb-windows .exe is not reconised as an internal or external command

Guest Pantaloonie
im having probs to in device manager mine says nvidia android composite device is that incorrect ?

i am also having probs putting the correct command promt in ,,,,,,,,, ive unzipped al the files into a folder on c drive ---- c:advent vega ...... but when i try to open a coomand promp it comes up like this c:\users\pcname> what am i doing wrong ? have i not install driver correctly,, i get this error adb-windows .exe is not reconised as an internal or external command

You need to change directory within the command prompt. See below.

CHDIR (CD) Change Directory Command

Once you have located the directory you want, you may move from directory to directory using the CD command (change directory)

Example:

* C> cd furniture

* Moves you to the directory called 'FURNITURE'

* C> cd \furniture\chairs

* Moves you to the directory called 'CHAIRS' under the directory called 'FURNITURE'.

* C> cd ..

* Moves you up one level in the path.

* C> cd \

* Takes you back to the root directory (c: in this case).

So you'd want "CD \" to change to the root (c:) then CD \advent vega

then run the adb commands.

However you don't seem to have the correct driver installed, "nvidia android composite device" is wrong, you need to remove the drivers and reinstall the ones Paul provided.

Edited by Pantaloonie

Guest Pantaloonie

When you unzip Pauls file, one of the folders it contains is called usbdriver. In there is a zip file which has the correct driver. So unzip it, then use device manager to install it.

Guest andyh1877

ok i think i got the driver sorted now to install the rom ,,, im a total noob i need simple instructions lol

i dont understand this -> •At a command prompt / terminal, ensure you are in the directory you extracted the files, and run 'install-windows.bat', './install-linux.sh' or './install-mac.sh' as

i need simple for dummies instructions lol

ps im still getting c:\users\pcname> when i open a command promp ,, is that wrong do i need to change as suggested here

"You need to change directory within the command prompt. See below.

CHDIR (CD) Change Directory Command

Once you have located the directory you want, you may move from directory to directory using the CD command (change directory)

if i do need to change how do i do that ?

sorry to be a pain but im useless on pcs lol

Guest warriorscot
from windows i created a folder called advent and unzip all of those r4 files into that c:/Advent folder.

from there i would open a cmd prompt to c:/Advent

then issue adb commands like this

c:/Advent/adb-windows start-server

or

c:/Advent/adb-windows push

etc.

hope this was helpful.

Still no working adb but you helped in at least letting me know it wasn't me doing it wrong as thats what I was doing pretty much. I was worried it was just me being overly rusty with a command line however my computer in general just seems to have problems with it even after install the SDK its not working properly. Going to continue working on it however I finally reinstalled VMware workstation so I will give it a go on one of my virtual machines.

Guest flyingscotno1

Certainly for me the solution to my install woes was good ole XP. Installed drivers from folder, command prompt the files over, job done 5 minutes. Now the 1 hour and a bit spent farting around until I got my old XP machine out.....

Tried Linux Mint first but got the error on Daemon not running- Starting it now on port 5037 and then Daemon running successfully but it just hung. No idea how to fix that driver error (presumably). Anyone else got Linux to work?

Windows 7 on this laptop was a pain in the groin. Just kept automatically installing the driver and when I went into the system and stopped it doing that by permission, when I manually installed it it would tell me there was no 32 Windows Driver in the USB drivers folder. Aye right. Is there a detailed step by step guide to W7 and this error or at least a few steps to fix it as nothing I could see made a difference. Ho Hum. Only thing I didn't try was disconnecting from internet but still would think I'd end up with an error in no drivers found.

If you have an XP machine it is a doddle however. My steps were unzip both files to advent folder, click new hardware wizard, pick the location of the drivers in advent folder manually and let it install. Open command prompt and type the command it and we were done.

The additions Paul has made are superb and along with the performance pack are well worth £9.99. :)

Certainly for me the solution to my install woes was good ole XP. Installed drivers from folder, command prompt the files over, job done 5 minutes. Now the 1 hour and a bit spent farting around until I got my old XP machine out.....

Tried Linux Mint first but got the error on Daemon not running- Starting it now on port 5037 and then Daemon running successfully but it just hung. No idea how to fix that driver error (presumably). Anyone else got Linux to work?

Windows 7 on this laptop was a pain in the groin. Just kept automatically installing the driver and when I went into the system and stopped it doing that by permission, when I manually installed it it would tell me there was no 32 Windows Driver in the USB drivers folder. Aye right. Is there a detailed step by step guide to W7 and this error or at least a few steps to fix it as nothing I could see made a difference. Ho Hum. Only thing I didn't try was disconnecting from internet but still would think I'd end up with an error in no drivers found.

If you have an XP machine it is a doddle however. My steps were unzip both files to advent folder, click new hardware wizard, pick the location of the drivers in advent folder manually and let it install. Open command prompt and type the command it and we were done.

The additions Paul has made are superb and along with the performance pack are well worth £9.99. :)

Sdk. And drivers. Was all. Set up on win 7 64bit, I never had any trouble.

Guest monkeydrufy

Hi guys,

I've received the vega and flash the modaco's rom but I have a issue

touch screen is a little imprecise, there is a way to calibrate it?

thanks

Guest boffboff

I was having trouble installing the drivers in Win7 (32bit), make sure you pick the parent directory ('USB Driver'? Sorry can't remember off the top of my head) and not the 'x86' directory when specifying the location of the driver. Worked for me anyway (after removing 'USB Mass Storage' from the device list and plugging the Vega into a different USB port on the laptop.)

Hope this helps anyway!

Boff

Edited by boffboff

Guest hicksmat

sorry to ask, but is there somewhere to add proxy settings on this? the option to set proxy (under wifi) appears to be missing, but I have seen it present on other android devices (running 2.2).

cheers

Guest flyingscotno1
I was having trouble installing the drivers in Win7 (32bit), make sure you pick the parent directory ('USB Driver'? Sorry can't remember off the top of my head) and not the 'x86' directory when specifying the location of the driver. Worked for me anyway (after removing 'USB Mass Storage' from the device list and plugging the Vega into a different USB port on the laptop.)

Hope this helps anyway!

Boff

Yeah thanks- don't like being beaten but can be a little impatient and Linux Mint then Windows 7 liked to annoy me- frustrating when you have a new device you want to play with (before I get it in 11 days time!) :) . In the end the XP machine at home was straightforward compared to Win7. I tried a number of the W7 solutions listed here but it would consistently install the wrong driver and then tell me it was better than the one I wanted to install or tell me it didn't like the drivers! I know a lot of folk got it to work, so maybe just a setting or something I was doing wrong but in the end I did it so no matter.

My San Fran by comparison had no problems in rooting and putting a custom ROM on when I used W7 however!