MoDaCo Custom r6 discussion archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest jellywobbles
This is an update on my Windows 7 USB drivers saga discussed in posts 543, 545 and 558.

I have finally solved my problem and am recording my solution here in case it helps others.

I downloaded and ran (in Administrator mode) a very useful free windows program called USBDeView from NirSoft. This appears to show all current and past devices (in glorious detail) that have been connected via USB.

With the Vega connected in USB debug mode, in USBDeview find all drivers associated with VendorID 0955 and ProductID 7100 (i.e. the Vega) and select them. Then use USBDeview (still with Vega connected) to "Uninstall Selected Devices". Now unplug the Vega. At this point I opened the device manager and expanded the "Disk Drives" and "Universal Serial Bus controllers" lines so that I could watch what was happening. With the Vega on and in USB debug mode plug the Vega into the computer and watch the device manager. Things should happen quite quickly with the device manager screen refreshing itself a couple of times whilst it is automatically installing drivers. During these refreshes I noticed "NVidia Harmony" appear briefly under "Other Devices" then vanish. Unlike my previous experience, this time as well as the usual new entries of:-

Under Disk Drives:

NVIDIA Tegra2 USB Device

Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers:

USB Composite Device

USB Mass Storage Device

I now had another new entry under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" of "Android Debug Bridge Interface". I updated the driver for this device using Pauls ROM USB driver and hey presto Device Manager showed a new device under "Android Phone" called "Android Composite ADB Interface".

All is now working well.

For the record when I connected the Vega (in debug mode) to two other computers, one XP and one Windows 7 Home, the device manager showed everything correctly including "Nvidia Harmony", so I can only conclude that at some point I must have had something connected to my PC which interefered with the detection of the Vega. Interestingly USBDeview showed two old instances of my HTC Desire being connected (HTC Android Phone USB Device) so I am wondering whether this had something to do with the problems I experienced.

I hope my explanation is comprehendable and helpful to others having problems.

Thanks Paul from the ROM. Makes the Vega much more desirable. I will be signing up very soon.

What a brilliant post! I am sure many will benefit from this! :)

Guest Mogedwards

I have now been struggling for hours and I have read through the whole thread and tried what other people have said has fixed their device, so please can someone try to help me.

I have tried on a Desktop and Laptop, both running Windows XP. I am pretty sure my problem relates to the following instruction

"If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)"

I have to admit, I haven't figured our how to do this. The furthest I get is my PC showing the following:

*daemon not running. starting it now on port5037*

*daemon started succesfully*

and then nothing.

Please can anyone help.

Guest rvdgeer
thank you, i have the official drivers and the guide but the one i have got doesn't show the last two pictures. now i can say that my POV didn't get into debug mode so there is something wrong in the procedure when i do it. well i will keep trying .....

thanx again.

Have you tried my update guide?

Guest Toxophilite
Toxo

Duly noted.

Could I ask what is a forced stop for and why are some lit and others not?

Tony

Tony - I haven't yet had to use a 'Forced Stop'.

It can be used to stop an app which becomes unresponsive and cannot be closed using a normal app 'Exit' button.

If you don't exit an app before starting another, the first one can keep running in the background, thereby using memory and system resources.

To stop running apps you can stop them individually in settings/applications/manage applications/running applications.

If you have several programs running without having exited from them, the 'running application' will have the 'Force Stop' lit up for each program.

There are various 'task manager' apps available in the market, which can be used to Kill (force stop) apps or system programs.

Toxo

Guest rvdgeer
Tony - I haven't yet had to use a 'Forced Stop'.

It can be used to stop an app which becomes unresponsive and cannot be closed using a normal app 'Exit' button.

If you don't exit an app before starting another, the first one can keep running in the background, thereby using memory and system resources.

To stop running apps you can stop them individually in settings/applications/manage applications/running applications.

If you have several programs running without having exited from them, the 'running application' will have the 'Force Stop' lit up for each program.

There are various 'task manager' apps available in the market, which can be used to Kill (force stop) apps or system programs.

Toxo

Actually it's better not to stop processes manually!

Please read this article to understand why...

A small outtake:

"Not only does Android 2.1 not need task killers, they often do more harm than good by killing essential processes without respecting dependencies. This leads to bug reports about how Android is broken, when in fact all that's broken is that the system has granted too much power to applications, enabling one to kill another. In Android 2.2, that privilege will be reserved to the system, as I understand it."

I believe the same counts for manually stopping processes...

Guest danympp81
Have you tried my update guide?

no, i haven't but i will when i get home. the problem is that POV's RMA have confirmed that their usb divers are not compatible with x64 OS. so i will try again with my laptop with XP. the problem is that i uninstall the drivers but when i chose to install Paul's rom ubs drivers it doesn't recognize them..... well anyway thank you. i will give it a try this afternoon and then i will see......

thanx again.

no, i haven't but i will when i get home. the problem is that POV's RMA have confirmed that their usb divers are not compatible with x64 OS. so i will try again with my laptop with XP. the problem is that i uninstall the drivers but when i chose to install Paul's rom ubs drivers it doesn't recognize them..... well anyway thank you. i will give it a try this afternoon and then i will see......

thanx again.

Try the guide here: http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...-wrong-win7-64/

If you can't install ANY drivers, try the ones from myadvent.co.uk for the flashing the device first.

Guest wobblydoggy

my keyboard is absolutely shocking on the vega, it was the same pre and post R5, (prebaked so no performance pack) does the PP rectify this??? I genuinely believe it to be unusable at the moment... is everyone else's really as bad as mine???

took me 10 mins to type my email address due to wrong letters or recurring. Can anyone confirm a software fix for this or is it hardware fault??

my keyboard is absolutely shocking on the vega, it was the same pre and post R5, (prebaked so no performance pack) does the PP rectify this??? I genuinely believe it to be unusable at the moment... is everyone else's really as bad as mine???

took me 10 mins to type my email address due to wrong letters or recurring. Can anyone confirm a software fix for this or is it hardware fault??

I am still using the stock keyboard and must say that i have never really had a problem with it. it may have double keyed once or twice but that is really it and i can not remember the last time it did it and thats the same on both of the ones which i have got.

In all fairness they may not get used as much as others peoples yet becuase they are presents but i am on them every night setting things up and installing apps etc. Maybe things will change after Christmas but i hope not.

Guest wobblydoggy
I am still using the stock keyboard and must say that i have never really had a problem with it. it may have double keyed once or twice but that is really it and i can not remember the last time it did it and thats the same on both of the ones which i have got.

In all fairness they may not get used as much as others peoples yet becuase they are presents but i am on them every night setting things up and installing apps etc. Maybe things will change after Christmas but i hope not.

do you have the performance pack on them though? I'm sure i read somewhere that Paul had managed to fix this, mine's under the tree so I can't even test using a touch sensing app.

do you have the performance pack on them though? I'm sure i read somewhere that Paul had managed to fix this, mine's under the tree so I can't even test using a touch sensing app.

Yes I am running the performance pack which I installed from the outset which maybe why I have never had a problem although other people have and still do complain about this problem even with the performance pack installed, so I wonder if it’s a hit and miss thing. Sorry that probably does not help you much but I would recommend installing the performance pack when Santa has been and hopefully cure your problem

Guest What If

It is normally better if the vega isn't plugged into the power and just running from the battery.........

Guest Toxophilite
Actually it's better not to stop processes manually!

Please read this article to understand why...

A small outtake:

"Not only does Android 2.1 not need task killers, they often do more harm than good by killing essential processes without respecting dependencies. This leads to bug reports about how Android is broken, when in fact all that's broken is that the system has granted too much power to applications, enabling one to kill another. In Android 2.2, that privilege will be reserved to the system, as I understand it."

I believe the same counts for manually stopping processes...

Hi rvdgeer

Thanks for your input.

Yes, using task killers is a contentious issue - there are many reviews which are pro and con.

Obviously no-one should try to stop a system process unless they know what they are doing.

An app in a loop or a hang can be stopped manually.

Maybe we should leave this at the moment for some new topic and not use up space here. :)

btw I like your step by step upgrade guide - http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...p-update-guide/

It should help a lot of new Vega users.

Edited by Toxophilite

Guest payneardo

hey all just got my vegaand attempting this but on my virtual xp PC ( as got win 7 64 bit and things dont often play very well with it) I have changed the driver but it is picking it up as android phone - Android composite ADB Interface, i sthis correct ??

and then do I have to run the batch file as administrator ??

Cheers

Dave

Ran install-windows.bat and just getting

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 **

* daemon started succesfully *

*** daemon still not runningerror:cannot connect to daemon

Just about to create a new virtual machine as looking thru the posts its a driver issue and my xp vm was setup for my dell streak, wil update when created :)

Edited by payneardo

Guest tech_fox
I have now been struggling for hours and I have read through the whole thread and tried what other people have said has fixed their device, so please can someone try to help me.

I have tried on a Desktop and Laptop, both running Windows XP. I am pretty sure my problem relates to the following instruction

"If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)"

I have to admit, I haven't figured our how to do this. The furthest I get is my PC showing the following:

*daemon not running. starting it now on port5037*

*daemon started succesfully*

and then nothing.

Please can anyone help.

You definitely don't have the "Android Phone - Android Composite ADB Interface" driver installed.

Open your Device Mangager and expand the "Disk Drive" and "Universal Serial Bus controllers" lines. With your Vega connected, turned on and in USB debug mode you should see the following:-

New entry under "Disk Drives"

NVIDIA Tegra 2 USB Device

New Entries under"Universal Serial Bus controllers"

USB Composite Device

USB Mass Storage Device

You might have more than one USB Mass Storage Device showing but only one of these should be the Vega. You can identify it by opening its properties, selecting details Tab and then selecting Hardware IDs in the Property drop down box. The Vega entry will have two lines that read:-

"USB\VID_0955&PID_7100REV_9999&MI_00"

"USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_00"

Assuming you have the two new entries under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" you need to check for a third entry which will either be:-

under "Other Devices"

"NVIDIA Harmony"

and will have a yellow question mark and excalmation mark

OR

under "Universal Serial Bus controllers"

"Android Debug Bridge Interface"

and have no warning symbols thereby seemingly OK!

Which ever entry you have you need to udate its driver with Pauls USB driver. Don't forget that to get to Pauls driver you have to unzip once and then in the unzipped version drill down the directory structure via "usbdriver" to "r1-tegrausbdrivers-modaco" and unzip that folder.

If you have neither of these third entries then follow the procedure in my post number 580 on page 29.

Good luck.

Let us know if it worked.

Guest tech_fox
hey all just got my vegaand attempting this but on my virtual xp PC ( as got win 7 64 bit and things dont often play very well with it) I have changed the driver but it is picking it up as android phone - Android composite ADB Interface, i sthis correct ??

and then do I have to run the batch file as administrator ??

Cheers

Dave

Ran install-windows.bat and just getting

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 **

* daemon started succesfully *

*** daemon still not runningerror:cannot connect to daemon

Just about to create a new virtual machine as looking thru the posts its a driver issue and my xp vm was setup for my dell streak, wil update when created :)

See my reply in post 617 above. This should give you enough information to solve your problem.

In principle you have the right driver but might be missing the other drivers. USBDeview might be a useful tool to help solve your problem - detailed in my post number 580 on page 29.

I ran the batch file in administrator mode as a matter of course although I don't think it is necessary.

Good luck.

Guest payneardo
See my reply in post 617 above. This should give you enough information to solve your problem.

In principle you have the right driver but might be missing the other drivers. USBDeview might be a useful tool to help solve your problem - detailed in my post number 580 on page 29.

I ran the batch file in administrator mode as a matter of course although I don't think it is necessary.

Good luck.

cheers not sure what was wrong but did exactly the same on a xp laptop I had for repair and now its worked ??? didn't like my vm xp machines or win 7 64 bit. Gona put xp back on my netbook me thinks :)

Guest EHtiger1966

Got my vega today, Finally got it to work. but got a few errors see below mainly on bussybox

failed to copy 'files/system/lib/libspeech.so' to '/system/lib/libspeech.so': No

space left on device

Setting permissions

busybox: /system/xbin/zcip:'''''''''''''''''''''''

busybox: /system/xbin/zcip: Cannot allocate memory

Error: Could not access the Package Manager. Is the system running?

Done, rebooting

are these serious errors or can i just ignore them?

Guest EHtiger1966
Got my vega today, Finally got it to work. but got a few errors see below mainly on bussybox

failed to copy 'files/system/lib/libspeech.so' to '/system/lib/libspeech.so': No

space left on device

Setting permissions

busybox: /system/xbin/zcip:'''''''''''''''''''''''

busybox: /system/xbin/zcip: Cannot allocate memory

Error: Could not access the Package Manager. Is the system running?

Done, rebooting

are these serious errors or can i just ignore them?

Cant install anything from the market as well

Guest ukracer
Cant install anything from the market as well

I have not read the hole thread butI a smll snippent that might help some users.

When you plug a brand new Vega into the PC you get the option to install drivers. I just ppinted it to the USB folder in PAuls downlaod and the rom installed a treat after that.

One thing I cant suss out is where all the other files included in the 29 quid subscription can be downloaded from??

Anyone give me a clue please??

Guest blackbaby
<snip>

[Edit by Paul: Abusive language / behaviour on the forum will not be tolerated.]

i do apologize for swearing was taking my fustration out because i could not load the rom which is no one's fault but my own. and i cant belive that after hours trying to get it load without success went home read guide and it went on easy as 1 2 3

if anyone is having problems followed http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...-wrong-win7-64/ just make sure your click have disk at the the right point should work for you as easy as it did for me

if still allowed will deff pay for this mod well worth it

sorry thats the wrong link, page you want is at the top of this page and followed that

Edited by blackbaby

Guest rpmccormick

I just installed this. Went easy and worked well. It is awesome having all of my GoogleApps... Nice work!

I am having 2 issues:

1) I installed the small-bar version, but my bar is big. I verified I got the correct zip. How do I get the small bar now?

2) I don't have root. How do I get root? Superuser is installed and I even tried using it to update 'su' which it said it did successfully, but still AdFree, Titanium, ADBWireless, etc don't work.

Other issues with device:

Some things play small-screen even with compatibility mode turned off (that fixes a lot though).

Google Sky map does not work well with the motion sensor (Haven't tried "Game Mode").

Google Earth, Yelp, and Flixter crash on startup. :)

WiFi works fairly well, but if far from router will sometimes disconnect and then will not find it again even after turning it on/off repeatedly.

Other questions:

I would love a USB-GPS. I see people got BT ones working, but what about USB? I have 3 of them laying around.

Is there a way to keep WiFi on when sleeping? That is an option in WiFi Settings -> (menu) Advanced on my phone, but not on this tablet.

Has anyone been able to improve WiFi reception (antenna mod)? It is as good as my phone, but both are much worse then any of the 5 very different laptops I have used in my house.

Something you may not know:

I am using it as a free phone and it works well! I got a free SIP at antisip.com, an incoming-free number for the SIP at IpKalll.com, then I installed "SIPdroid" from the market. My tablet now rings at the same time as my cell phone, and I can dial-out for free (US+Canada) too by using the "GoogleVoice Callback Free" app from the market.

Edited by rpmccormick