Dell not bricked..but stuck!

Guest batman_man

Guest batman_man

Hello guys, just wanted to know if anybody would be willing to help me.

I have an O2 locked streak which I upgraded to the leaked 2.1 build successfully. Now I wanted to get on the Dj_Steve froyo bangwagon and I though if i followed the instructions like i did to update to 2.1 i would bo good. Wrong it did not work.

I know that to get on the latest build of Dj_steves froyo build (i.e 1.4.5) u first need to have v 1.1.1... so i tried to update to that... and now my phone is stuck B)... i see the Dell logo and the animation after that but nothing happens after that... i have Clockwork Recovery as well... i dont know what to do...

after which i thought that maybe u need to flash the amss.mbn file so i did...using this command

fastboot flash amss amss.mbn

but still no result

any help is appreciated

cheers

Hello guys, just wanted to know if anybody would be willing to help me.

I have an O2 locked streak which I upgraded to the leaked 2.1 build successfully. Now I wanted to get on the Dj_Steve froyo bangwagon and I though if i followed the instructions like i did to update to 2.1 i would bo good. Wrong it did not work.

I know that to get on the latest build of Dj_steves froyo build (i.e 1.4.5) u first need to have v 1.1.1... so i tried to update to that... and now my phone is stuck :P... i see the Dell logo and the animation after that but nothing happens after that... i have Clockwork Recovery as well... i dont know what to do...

after which i thought that maybe u need to flash the amss.mbn file so i did...using this command

fastboot flash amss amss.mbn

but still no result

any help is appreciated

cheers

Wrong command... check instructions on 1st page of Stephen's thread 1.4.5

Guest batman_man
Wrong command... check instructions on 1st page of Stephen's thread 1.4.5

Your right mate, i typed in the wrong code in the post the actual code i typed in was

"fastboot -i 0x413c flash amss amss.mbn"

but still it only boots up to the dell logo

What i did exactly was that

1)I downloaded the v1.1.1..renamed it to update.zip... moved it into the SD card

2)Started clockwork recovery and installed update.pkg

3)and then it rebooted..i see the dell logo..then the animated dell logo..and then th static dell logo and it stops there...

please help :P

Guest adzman808

try going into clockwork & selecting factory reset

if that fails try re-flashing

the steps are SOMETHING like

turn on phone whilst holding vol = & - buttons

select install update.zip

chose with zip file to install

select the 'update.zip' (you can renames these for use with CWork btw...) you want to flash

you only need to change the amss to go from v1.1.1, so don't worry about that yet!

be warned i'm f-ing new to this myself, so read round the subject a little more

good luck

PS many of us feel (well ok me & about 2 other ppl) that v1.1.1 offers the best blend of speed & stability... but you you'll have a green line in some vids & no wifi tethering & no front camera

go for the later builds & you'll almost ceratinly have a browser FC issue, no USB tethering & MAYBE a market issue, plus some of us feel that gprs data speed is poor...

but right now you need to focus on gettign the phoen to boot

please do read the guides pined on the front page of the forum, they're were invaluable to me & anyone reading any of my posts can see i know nothing :P

Guest batman_man
try going into clockwork & selecting factory reset

if that fails try re-flashing

the steps are SOMETHING like

turn on phone whilst holding vol = & - buttons

select install update.zip

chose with zip file to install

select the 'update.zip' (you can renames these for use with CWork btw...) you want to flash

you only need to change the amss to go from v1.1.1, so don't worry about that yet!

be warned i'm f-ing new to this myself, so read round the subject a little more

good luck

PS many of us feel (well ok me & about 2 other ppl) that v1.1.1 offers the best blend of speed & stability... but you you'll have a green line in some vids & no wifi tethering & no front camera

go for the later builds & you'll almost ceratinly have a browser FC issue, no USB tethering & MAYBE a market issue, plus some of us feel that gprs data speed is poor...

but right now you need to focus on gettign the phoen to boot

please do read the guides pined on the front page of the forum, they're were invaluable to me & anyone reading any of my posts can see i know nothing :P

Yea mate i did it all..i did all the steps again except remove clockwork recovery.... i need my streak to work or im gnna be in bigg trouble.... i wanted to try using v1.1.1 before steppin up to 1.4.5...

any help would be much appreciated guy..

cheers

Yea mate i did it all..i did all the steps again except remove clockwork recovery.... i need my streak to work or im gnna be in bigg trouble.... i wanted to try using v1.1.1 before steppin up to 1.4.5...

any help would be much appreciated guy..

cheers

without reading everything fully since we're all writing novels on this thread for some reason... :P

Currently you're on leaked O2 2.1... what you do next is...

-Flash the 1.1.1 ROM. Baseband is the same as 2.1

-Then flash the baseband found here: http://build.streakdroid.com/amss.mbn

-(personally I'd flash 1.2 first, but) Then you can flash 1.4.5 because it uses the same baseband as 1.2 and anything after that.

EDIT:

To flash the official 2.1 (leaked) is different from flashing Stephen's ROM.

Official Dell is flashed via Stock Recovery and the file is called update.pkg.

Custom ROMs are flashed using Custom Clockwork Recovery. After selecting Option 2 in Stock recovery, you will then be redirected to the Custom Recovery. From there you select the option (something like) "zip from sd card" and then the option "Choose zip". That point you point to the 1.X.X.zip file.

Edited by Cue_32

Guest batman_man
without reading everything fully since we're all writing novels on this thread for some reason... :P

Currently you're on leaked O2 2.1... what you do next is...

-Flash the 1.1.1 ROM. Baseband is the same as 2.1

-Then flash the baseband found here: http://build.streakdroid.com/amss.mbn

-(personally I'd flash 1.2 first, but) Then you can flash 1.4.5 because it uses the same baseband as 1.2 and anything after that.

EDIT:

To flash the official 2.1 (leaked) is different from flashing Stephen's ROM.

Official Dell is flashed via Stock Recovery and the file is called update.pkg.

Custom ROMs are flashed using Custom Clockwork Recovery. After selecting Option 2 in Stock recovery, you will then be redirected to the Custom Recovery. From there you select the option (something like) "zip from sd card" and then the option "Choose zip". That point you point to the 1.X.X.zip file.

Sorry for the late reply been having exams and what not so did not have time to fix my phone. I tried flashing 1.2.0 like you said and I followed everything exactly that was said on the link:

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...1-2-0-released/

I flashed the baseband first , then i flashed the 1.2.0 update on my SD card, rebooted the phone did a factory reset, and then switched it on again, but still it wont work, i have been waiting for the past 30 minutes now for it to work but all i get is the Dell Logo, the flash animation, and then the static dell logo again... how long am i supposed to wait?

Guest Stephen Hyde
Sorry for the late reply been having exams and what not so did not have time to fix my phone. I tried flashing 1.2.0 like you said and I followed everything exactly that was said on the link:

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...1-2-0-released/

I flashed the baseband first , then i flashed the 1.2.0 update on my SD card, rebooted the phone did a factory reset, and then switched it on again, but still it wont work, i have been waiting for the past 30 minutes now for it to work but all i get is the Dell Logo, the flash animation, and then the static dell logo again... how long am i supposed to wait?

Factory reset BEFORE flashing 1.2 u now need flash 1.1.1 and reboot then lett it boot and flash 1.4.6 without a resert

Guest batman_man
Factory reset BEFORE flashing 1.2 u now need flash 1.1.1 and reboot then lett it boot and flash 1.4.6 without a resert

wow :P a message from the creator himself..

okay so NOW i do a factory reset (i.e option 1, after holding down the volume keys and switching it on)

then i flash 1.1.1 (not 1.2.0 ?) via clockwork.. then flash the baseband (the amss.mbn file)... then i flash 1.4.6?

is this correct?

thanks Steve and everyone for trying to help me..much appreciated

cheers

Edit- Also i noticed that when i go into clockwork recovery it shows that E: cant find MISC, not sure if thats relevant its there almost after each action in recovery mode screen like select menu, wipe, flashing and all of that

Edited by batman_man

Guest batman_man

Okay so I have officially exhausted all hope of getting 1.4.6, 1.2.0 and 1.1.1... I downloaded all three files two times incase it did not download properly (yes I ran out of ideas on what could be wrong) and I tried every combination available..

I tried Flashing V1.1.1, factory reset, flashing the base band, alternatively i tried factory reset, flash V1.1.1 and then baseband flash..still no dice

I tried flashing V1.2.0, factory reset, flshing the baseband, alternatively i tried factory reset , flash 1.2.0 and then baseband flash.. phone stops after the dell animation..

looks like im not going to get Froyo :P

The factory reset was done via the clockwork receovery interface not option 1 after holding both the volume keys down.

I could PM anyone my MSN ID or wouldnt mind coming on IRC if anyone would help..please..im getting desperate now its been 2 weeks that my dtreak has been out of commission.

feel like a complete noob

2 weeks?? Dude get it up and running on 1.6 UK or 2.1 first... once your there it'll be easy for anyone helping to have a good starting point in assisting you. Stephen will be uploading 1.5 anytime soon so you need to get up and running.

Edited by Cue_32

Guest batman_man
2 weeks?? Dude get it up and running on 1.6 UK or 2.1 first... once your there it'll be easy for anyone helping to have a good starting point in assisting you. Stephen will be uploading 1.5 anytime soon so you need to get up and running.

I thought you should be able to do it fom the leaked O2 update.

I hope I havent messed my phone too bad with all the flashing and stuff..

I was on leaked 2.1.. so you are saying i should go onto the official 2.1 (build 8105) first and then move into Stephens Froyo?

Guest batman_man

Okay so out of sheer frustration I reverted back to leaked O2 2.1 (build 6941)-> Then i moved on to official 2.1 (Build 8105) [ i did this because most of the guides are wriiten from that point onwards]..

Then i flashed the recovery to Clockwork mod 2.5.x.x

Now it goes downhill

after flashing recovery, I flashed the baseband file...then I tried to update to V1.1.1...its still not working :P... all I get is the static Del logo and then the animated one and then it stops..I am all out of ideas...

I am thinking maybe I should revert to O2 2.1 (Build 8105) again->then move on to the official version->and then finally Dj_steve..

please guys im really despereate here..please help...

PS- Also the E: Can't find MISC error shows up when i load clockwork recovery.. is thar normal?

Edited by batman_man

Ok as long as you're on 2.1 you're ok...things to remember. Baseband only changed after 1.1.1 version of Stephens Rom. So anything from 1.2 you need to flash the new baseband.

SO....From a working 2.1 Rom....(doesn't mattress what)

- FLASH Koush's recovery (custom recovery). If that gets you the blackscreen after selecting option 2 from stock recovery, try The alternate custom recovery. If that fails, try adsman's custom recovery from XDA. ONE OF THEM HAS TO WORK. (NOTE: Adsman's custom recovery will only get you as far as 1.1.1, after that you need to flash another custom recovery.)

Once you get the custom recovery to load after selecting option 2 from stock recovery, then proceed...

-GET a copy of 1.1.1.... flash the ROM and wait until it loads.( approx. 15 mins after reboot.) Beyond that, try factory reset, or flash the ROM again.

- NOW get a copy of 1.4.6 and flash the baseband, then the ROM. (1.4.6) it should work, but if you ask me, id flash 1.2, then 1.4.6. But that's me.

FYI...DON'T WORRY ABOUT THOSE MESSAGES FROM CUSTOM RECOVERY. As long as you have all the other options, just carry on. Only if you get weird errors during the loading of the ROM, then that'd different.

Edited by Cue_32

Guest batman_man

OKAY OKAY OKAY....

an important part that was not in ANY of the guides..which im pretty sure was an important part... i went to clockwork recovery and under partitions i mounted everything that was unmounted I.e SD card, system, data..

After that Voila it was fine... but after I got into Froyo..my network settings could not be loaded for some reason

ill get back to u guys on how i get through this

Edit:-

It always seems like I have one problem after the other!.. So i got onto 1.4.6 realized that my internet does not work. I put in the APN's still no results..i Flashed the baseband just to be sure still no results..

Then i thought maybe i messed it up somehow (I have a knack for that)..so i flashed the official 2.2 update and recovery.. i still have no internet access.. again i loaded the APN's but nothing...

i thnk it could be hardware related because when i reverted to the leaked 2.1 earlier I did not have internet access then again but I did not bother with it because i thought it wasnt important as i was going to flash into 2.2 anyways..any thoughts?

Edited by batman_man

Guest Wee Thomas

What do you mean by you didn't have internet?

There is wifi and there is the cell data connection.

Are both not working or just one?

Edited by Wee Thomas

Okay so out of sheer frustration I reverted back to leaked O2 2.1 (build 6941)-> Then i moved on to official 2.1 (Build 8105) [ i did this because most of the guides are wriiten from that point onwards]..

Then i flashed the recovery to Clockwork mod 2.5.x.x

Now it goes downhill

after flashing recovery, I flashed the baseband file...then I tried to update to V1.1.1...its still not working ;)... all I get is the static Del logo and then the animated one and then it stops..I am all out of ideas...

I am thinking maybe I should revert to O2 2.1 (Build 8105) again->then move on to the official version->and then finally Dj_steve..

please guys im really despereate here..please help...

PS- Also the E: Can't find MISC error shows up when i load clockwork recovery.. is thar normal?

I encountered the exact same problem. First from 1.6 to 2.1(8105), then Steve's 1.2. The device was just stuck at the boot(DELL logo flash once, and nothing happen). I went back to 2.1, and follow the Steven's "Official 2.2 Froyo Untouched" http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...royo-untouched/.

Now my device is up running, but I don't like the theme. I would like to move to Steven's 1.5 when it's ready. I am wondering if there

is a simple way to upgrade from Dell official 2.2 to Steve's one.

Guest batman_man
I encountered the exact same problem. First from 1.6 to 2.1(8105), then Steve's 1.2. The device was just stuck at the boot(DELL logo flash once, and nothing happen). I went back to 2.1, and follow the Steven's "Official 2.2 Froyo Untouched" http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...royo-untouched/.

Now my device is up running, but I don't like the theme. I would like to move to Steven's 1.5 when it's ready. I am wondering if there

is a simple way to upgrade from Dell official 2.2 to Steve's one.

Yea there is.. all you have to do is get clockworkmod and flash which ever version you want...

my streak is finally up and running in full swing..

And for some reason when i went to ths partitions bit in clockwork.. the mount option for my SD card and data were set to off (i.e. not to be mounted) I read in the pocketables forum that sometimes it causes the phone not to boot up... when i set it to mount..

it worked!

so yea that maybe important i guess..

thanks everyone for helping you guys have been awesome...