Advice on flashing a Rogers Dell Streak

Guest MOmega

Hey everyone! I was wondering if there are any special instructions for those of us in Canada with Rogers Dell Streaks on how to flash it with custom builds of Android. Many of the instructions apply to O2 Streaks and some U.S. ones, but I wanted to confirm that these instructions also apply to me before giving things a shot.

After updating the OS to say a vanilla 2.2, is the phone effectively unlocked?

Any help or guidance, specifically as it relates to Rogers-originated models would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hey everyone! I was wondering if there are any special instructions for those of us in Canada with Rogers Dell Streaks on how to flash it with custom builds of Android. Many of the instructions apply to O2 Streaks and some U.S. ones, but I wanted to confirm that these instructions also apply to me before giving things a shot.

After updating the OS to say a vanilla 2.2, is the phone effectively unlocked?

Any help or guidance, specifically as it relates to Rogers-originated models would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

should be no problem to update to 2.2, but will not be unlocked.

Guest Johnny82

I have a Rogers locked Dell Streak as well.

From what I gather, its a matter of switching our version to the O2's stock 1.6 Android (4399 iirc). Then you can use the official update from there, or start going to one of Steves.

I haven't done it yet because I am wary of losing my original 1.6 (build 7921). I've gone ahead and rooted, installed clockwork, tried it once, had some problems and then unrooted. I was really hoping to try Steve's Froyo after seeing the results everyone got.

Also, I came across issues using Windows 7 regarding drivers. I am at work and don't have the link with me, but I found a site that details on how to get them installed properly. I don't appear to have the issues on my one Windows 7 PC as when I used 'adb device' in CMD it detects it.

If I do get adventurous and it turns out succesful, I promise to post a full, right from the beginning tutorial with images on how to accomplish this. Otherwise, on the Froyo thread from Dell I read (on page 3-4 or something), that Rogers is expected in mid December. Who knows though.....

So if anyone has any advice or help, please do so!

At the very least, if someone can provide me with a way to backup my Rogers build, and a way to re-install it then I will try it on my own. So far I am either not getting it, or the info isn't there. I am assuming its me.

I'm using mine with Rogers but I have one of the unlocked ones.

Since Rogers' version is very new, it might help us (especially Stephen) if you provide the following information on your phone.

Baseband:

Kernel:

OEM Version:

My guess would be the same as Johnny82s... flash the UK version of 1.6. After that, your build number has changed already so then go here to get the 2.1.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...ght=Greenarcher

From there, I would honestly suggest flashing Froyo 1.1.1, then ---> 1.2 (with the supplied baseband and ROM)----> 1.4.5 (ROM only). I suspect others are having weird problems when they went straight to 1.4.5.

Johnny, if you want to keep your build, Root your phone again and load the Clockwork Custom Recovery and do a Full Nandroid backup from the Custom Recovery screen.

Guest Johnny82
I'm using mine with Rogers but I have one of the unlocked ones.

Since Rogers' version is very new, it might help us (especially Stephen) if you provide the following information on your phone.

Baseband:

Kernel:

OEM Version:

My guess would be the same as Johnny82s... flash the UK version of 1.6. After that, your build number has changed already so then go here to get the 2.1.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...ght=Greenarcher

From there, I would honestly suggest flashing Froyo 1.1.1, then ---> 1.2 (with the supplied baseband and ROM)----> 1.4.5 (ROM only). I suspect others are having weird problems when they went straight to 1.4.5.

Johnny, if you want to keep your build, Root your phone again and load the Clockwork Custom Recovery and do a Full Nandroid backup from the Custom Recovery screen.

Ok here we go, seems to be similar to the AT&T phones.

Baseband: GAUSB1A111732=32

Kernel: 2.6.29-perf

OEM Version: GAUSB1A111732

Now, to get to the custom recovery screen, I hold the volume buttons when boosting, select recovery, and then choose to create a full nandroid backup? If so, and it works, I will be experimenting on Sunday to see if I can get it working. Will the backup be placed on my SD card which I can then save to my Desktop? I believe I read it will be stored in a folder named Nandroid.

Sorry for the silly questions, I've read so many postings at this point. It's literally just the backup portion that I am not 100% confident on, otherwise everything else seems to be straightforward.

Guest Jay Slasher
Ok here we go, seems to be similar to the AT&T phones.

Baseband: GAUSB1A111732=32

Kernel: 2.6.29-perf

OEM Version: GAUSB1A111732

Now, to get to the custom recovery screen, I hold the volume buttons when boosting, select recovery, and then choose to create a full nandroid backup? If so, and it works, I will be experimenting on Sunday to see if I can get it working. Will the backup be placed on my SD card which I can then save to my Desktop? I believe I read it will be stored in a folder named Nandroid.

Sorry for the silly questions, I've read so many postings at this point. It's literally just the backup portion that I am not 100% confident on, otherwise everything else seems to be straightforward.

I bought my rogers locked Streak last week, I've updated to Stephen's Froyo 2.2 (1.4.5) without issue. Originally you do need to go from our OS to o2' 1.6 then work your way up to the latest 2.2 release. Its not difficult and you won't have any issues. Just remember that if you get stuck on a dell logo that you have to mount all your partitions in clockwork recovery in order to boot properly this can be done right after flashing the update.zip package. (you'll know what i'm talking about when you get to that step).

Stephen's tutorial assumes you are already at version 2.1 or 2.2 (1.1.1) so you'll have to find the guides that explain the steps from 1.6.

Guest Johnny82

I cant get clockwork to work for me. I rooted using universal androot, installed rom manager, flashed clockwork, gave it access, it says it intstalled. Then I select reboot into recovery. It restarts and boots into android like normal. so I repeat but hold down the volume buttons and get into the regular recovery screen and not the clockwork one. Just the regular 4 options.

So far I have:

flashed clockwork multiple times

flashed a couple older versions

deleted clockwork from the sd and re-installed

Restored to factory and then tried it all over again.

Am I mising something silly?

Thanks for any help.

Guest Jay Slasher
I cant get clockwork to work for me. I rooted using universal androot, installed rom manager, flashed clockwork, gave it access, it says it intstalled. Then I select reboot into recovery. It restarts and boots into android like normal. so I repeat but hold down the volume buttons and get into the regular recovery screen and not the clockwork one. Just the regular 4 options.

So far I have:

flashed clockwork multiple times

flashed a couple older versions

deleted clockwork from the sd and re-installed

Restored to factory and then tried it all over again.

Am I mising something silly?

Thanks for any help.

You were almost there, reboot, Hold the volume keys, then select the second option, (install from package or whatever). That will load you into clockwork. From there select the option to install from update.zip and then apply, afterwords before rebooting, go into the partition menu and mount the system/SDcard/Data etc.. and thats it reboot and your done.

Guest Johnny82
You were almost there, reboot, Hold the volume keys, then select the second option, (install from package or whatever). That will load you into clockwork. From there select the option to install from update.zip and then apply, afterwords before rebooting, go into the partition menu and mount the system/SDcard/Data etc.. and thats it reboot and your done.

Thank you! Will try today. I did tht once before (option 2) but it went to a black screen for a min or 2. will try again today and give it more time.

Thank you! Will try today. I did tht once before (option 2) but it went to a black screen for a min or 2. will try again today and give it more time.

i think there is an alternative version of clockwork mod if you have the blackscreen problem

Don't use the one from the market... flash this one..

http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...ywfaoj2aiywe1ah

Download the recovery image zip file above and extract to a directory

Put your device in bootloader mode - Unplug the device from your PC, remove the device battery, then replace it and turn device on with the camera button pressed. Select the 'fastboot' text on the top right, wait around 10 seconds then plug the device into your PC. The screen display should change to 'FASTBOOT MODE'. If it doesn't, repeat and retry (it's a bit temperamental!)

WINDOWS - double click 'install-recovery-windows.bat'

MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-mac.sh' followed by './install-recovery-mac.sh'

LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-linux.sh' followed by './install-recovery-linux.sh'

That's it, you're done!

Guest Johnny82

Will use that method on sunday maybe, helping people move today and tomorrow. cant wait to try it out! Thanks for all the help. Pardon typos typing on streak.

Guest Johnny82

Will use that method on sunday maybe, helping people move today and tomorrow. cant wait to try it out! Thanks for all the help. Pardon typos typing on streak.

Guest Johnny82

Sorry for the double posts previously.

Anyway, looks like I cannot get Clockworkmod to work. I used the advice mentioned earlier, flash said it was successful, rebooted right into recovery mode, chose to install, went to a black screen. Downloaded an alternate version, tried it again, still just a black screen. I've even watched a video on how to do it and followed it exactly and regardless, it just goes to a black screen. Sadly, no Froyo goodness until Dell gets off their butts and pushes it out, and then rogers approves it. I don't want to upgrade and not have a nandroid backup. :P

Thanks for all the assistance guys, I haven't given up just yet! I will keep an eye open for any other methods.

FYI, tried Rom Manager, tried the advice mentioned above, tried an alternate version meant for people who deal with the black screen problem and even tried a factory reset before doing the above. I am surprised that people with the same software, same hardware, and starting from factory resets are getting different results.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered my Dell Streak from rogers, got tired of my samsung galaxy, couldnt go to a phone with a smaller screen so i went WAAAAY bigger lol!

Anyways, i could care less if the phone was unlocked, the info for that will come out sooner or later, but I do want to have froyo on my phone. I know when I went to the att froyo build on my galaxy, it badword up a lot of gps settings, and signal settings, and name display and voicemail indicators, You guys really think its worth it to flash? Root for sure to get whatever you please on the phone because thats a no brainer, but can anyone confirm no gps, signal issues after flashing?

Give it 3-4 weeks and you will see rogers release froyo for this beast, cause they know if they dont the phone will get left in the dust with all the new phones coming out.

Guest jesseiscanadian
I bought my rogers locked Streak last week, I've updated to Stephen's Froyo 2.2 (1.4.5) without issue. Originally you do need to go from our OS to o2' 1.6 then work your way up to the latest 2.2 release. Its not difficult and you won't have any issues. Just remember that if you get stuck on a dell logo that you have to mount all your partitions in clockwork recovery in order to boot properly this can be done right after flashing the update.zip package. (you'll know what i'm talking about when you get to that step).

Stephen's tutorial assumes you are already at version 2.1 or 2.2 (1.1.1) so you'll have to find the guides that explain the steps from 1.6.

Hey Jay

So i got clockwork going on my Rogers Streak, did a full backup without issue, flashed over to the 02 1.6 build, and now i am stuck, doing the 318.12821.00 package it fails, im betting because im using a package for 02 ending in 21.

How did you get your streak to the 00 oem version?

Cheers!