A Few Neat Ways of Trying New Files

Guest Harness

Guest Harness

These are things I came up with yesterday trying to get my phone to boot. These are all based out of linux because that's what I'm using to work on my stuff. Make sure before anything you switch to root (Ubuntu: sudo -s, other flavors of linux vary between su, su root, su root pw, etc.)

When you make a nandroid update, back it up to your computer and edit the files (boot/recovery/etc) on your SD card. Replace md5 values in nandroid.md5 and restore update (Just an idea if you can't get to fastboot/stuck in recovery). To find md5 values, open terminal and run

md5sum $fileyouneedmd5forhere.img > $fileyouneedmd5forhere.img.md5
The other (I used this one to test my boot after I could get back into fastboot), and I'm pretty sure this is written right, I don't remember 3:30am last night all that well, but:
./fastboot-linux -i 0x0502 boot $bootimghere.img

It TESTS the boot.img before it actually boots your phone with it. Saved me a lot of time after I thought about this. I didn't have to wait for my phone to boot loop, it just said 'booting... FAIL!'

Some neat things for noobies like me.

Harness.

Guest snootched
It will always say booting fail =)

It will work only if you flash it. (you can try with working one, it will fail too if you just boot it.)

Yes - would be nice if it worked to cut down time testing. I've just used the update.zip method and replace boot.img with the one I am testing - doesn't take too long with that approach.

Guest Harness
It will always say booting fail =)

It will work only if you flash it. (you can try with working one, it will fail too if you just boot it.)

My second boot.img worked via the fastboot command, then I flashed it.

Appreciate if you took a look at my update-script thread though :P

Guest xaueious

Actually sometimes it doesn't say fastboot fail.

fastboot boot is no indication of whether or not it will boot. I found out after all 3 possible deployments wouldn't boot.

Guest Harness

fastboot boot is no indication of whether or not it will boot. I found out after all 3 possible deployments wouldn't boot.

When I reached an img that worked, it says Booting... OKAY! and the booted my phone o.o

well, if boot with fastboot boot and then you flash it without errors, it will boot.

if the boot.img doesn't boot with fastboot boot, it may work if flashed.

Edited by eumate

Guest Harness
well, if boot with fastboot boot and then you flash it without errors, it will boot.

if the boot.img doesn't boot with fastboot boot, it may work if flashed.

Oh. Well, it worked on fastboot, so. All things well. Just ideas. It went well for me because without a working boot.img I can't get back into fastboot (button combinations don't work, no battery/cable out tricks have worked, etc)