Performance Pack information + feedback topic

Guest PaulOBrien

I've had v1.04 and performance pack installed for few days now. All seem well, no issues to report other then sluggish wifi reconnection but no idea if that's from software, router issuing IP address or hardware.

Guest unholyimp

A work mate and I got our advent Vega's on the first release. He signed up straight away and had r2 then r4 running. I was a little slower on the uptake still running stock rom right until we got them both into work. Well the difference was clear to see. I signed up and now running r4.

Worth every penny.

Huge thanks to Paul.

;)

Guest vertico

not sure if it is the performance pack or the hardware itself. Once I have updated to 1.04 and applied r4 + performance pack. Wifi dropped when screen is not active. and it requires going into wifi settings again to reactivate the wifi connection.

Guest dagrim1
not sure if it is the performance pack or the hardware itself. Once I have updated to 1.04 and applied r4 + performance pack. Wifi dropped when screen is not active. and it requires going into wifi settings again to reactivate the wifi connection.

For me Wifi always 'disabled' or went to sleep when the screen goes off... Waking the screen was enough to get wifi working though (could take a few secs, but it autoconnected), also with r4 and the performance pack.

Guest boboskins

Still waiting for my vega to arrive, but I suspect you need to play with the wifi sleep policy if you want the wifi to remain active when the screen is off.

On other android devices this is usually found by going to the wireless menu, going into wifi setting, pressing menu and accessing the advanced menu. You can then use the wifi sleep policy to keep wifi powered.

Hope this helps...

B

Just uploaded the performance pack having had the Vega from the second batch. Must say a big improvement, does not seem as sluggish as before. The live wallpaper i noticed runs more smoothly! Will feedback more as i use it ... but first impressions are very good. Big thanks Paul!

Guest Pantaloonie
sorry guys, probably it is a stupid answer

I've installed the modaco's rom for vega, to add this performance pack what I have to do?

thanks

You'll need to be a paying member of Modaco.

£9.99 gets you access to all the goodies.

Guest ashbash
You'll need to be a paying member of Modaco.

£9.99 gets you access to all the goodies.

Hi, not wanting to hijack the thread... but similar question to the above.

I have recently got my Advent Vega which I am presuming is on 1.04 as that is the version string shown in the "About" area of settings?

So what options do I have for custom ROM's, I'm not a complete dumbo but I am confused between what is offered here as r4:

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...online-kitchen/

..and what others are talking about on the this forum being referred to as the Performance Pack.

Could someone lay out for me the different options I have to upgrading my Vega please? Please include any paid options such as "Plus" as of course I am quite happy to pay for good software.

Thanks

Ash

Guest swarrans
Hi, not wanting to hijack the thread... but similar question to the above.

I have recently got my Advent Vega which I am presuming is on 1.04 as that is the version string shown in the "About" area of settings?

So what options do I have for custom ROM's, I'm not a complete dumbo but I am confused between what is offered here as r4:

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...online-kitchen/

..and what others are talking about on the this forum being referred to as the Performance Pack.

Could someone lay out for me the different options I have to upgrading my Vega please? Please include any paid options such as "Plus" as of course I am quite happy to pay for good software.

Thanks

Ash

I would just cough up the £10 to support Paul's work if I were you which means that you can then tick the boxes for the Performance Pack and smaller notification bar and of course all the future improvements. You can get most of the stuff Paul has done for free (ex PP and small bar) but it's worth paying it for that and the moral aspect IMHO

Guest ashbash
I would just cough up the £10 to support Paul's work if I were you which means that you can then tick the boxes for the Performance Pack and smaller notification bar and of course all the future improvements. You can get most of the stuff Paul has done for free (ex PP and small bar) but it's worth paying it for that and the moral aspect IMHO

Hi thanks for the reply, Ive got no issues with paying for what I can see has been a lot of hard graft ...

.. I would just like to know what all the options are .. whats the difference between all these ROMs/Addons/Performance Packs?

Cheers

Ash

Hi thanks for the reply, Ive got no issues with paying for what I can see has been a lot of hard graft ...

.. I would just like to know what all the options are .. whats the difference between all these ROMs/Addons/Performance Packs?

Cheers

Ash

There are five options:

• Stock firmware (currently 1.06.5). This does not have access to google market or any of the nicer apps installed. It is also missing FLASH player but you can add this manually if you like.
  • Stock firmware + MoDaCo R5. This is free and adds some nice apps including google market.
  • Stock firmware + MoDaCo R5 + Performance pack. Paid for and improves speed by adding newer drivers.
  • Stock firmware + MoDaCo R5 + Small Notification Bar. Paid for and shrinks the size of the top notification bar.
  • Stock firmware + MoDaCo R5 + Performance pack + Small Notification Bar. Paid for and includes the options above.

You can generate any of these downloads in "the kitchen". That is available in this post http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1488152. Just select in/out what you want - for example, I don't include the Car Home app in my builds.

As to installing, I'd use the drivers that are in the download available from the kitchen when installing the Vega on your PC and NOT the ones from the Advent site. They will work fine for the stock firmware uploads, but the ones that come from the Advent site won't support the method needed to flash the mods from this site.

Guest ashbash
Just install the latest versions for the best possible Vega experience!

Ok sorry I might have not been clear :) what I want to know ... if you can help it would appreciated..

1. Is there any difference between the ROM and Performance Pack

2. Is there any difference between public available ROM and what is provided to plus members

?

Cheers

Ash

EDIT: Ignore this now ... answered above ^

Edited by ashbash

Guest ashbash
There are five options:
  • Stock firmware (currently 1.06.5). This does not have access to google market or any of the nicer apps installed. It is also missing FLASH player but you can add this manually if you like.
  • Stock firmware + MoDaCo R5. This is free and adds some nice apps including google market.
  • Stock firmware + MoDaCo R5 + Performance pack. Paid for and improves speed by adding newer drivers.
  • Stock firmware + MoDaCo R5 + Small Notification Bar. Paid for and shrinks the size of the top notification bar.
  • Stock firmware + MoDaCo R5 + Performance pack + Small Notification Bar. Paid for and includes the options above.

You can generate any of these downloads in "the kitchen". That is available in this post http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1488152. Just select in/out what you want - for example, I don't include the Car Home app in my builds.

As to installing, I'd use the drivers that are in the download available from the kitchen when installing the Vega on your PC and NOT the ones from the Advent site. They will work fine for the stock firmware uploads, but the ones that come from the Advent site won't support the method needed to flash the mods from this site.

Perfect, just what I was after, thanks!!! :) (ignore my previous post, it must have crossed yours in the ether)

Guest ashbash

Just 1 point to clarify, if i sign up as a paid member for a tenner, I get the MOD, PP, Small Notif Bar and access to the Kitchen to cook my ROM, is that right? :)

Guest deadite66
Just 1 point to clarify, if i sign up as a paid member for a tenner, I get the MOD, PP, Small Notif Bar and access to the Kitchen to cook my ROM, is that right? :)

yes

Guest marcosdamian
Yes it does.

I've installed all of my favourite apps (just like my ZTE Blade), most of the apps I use work great on the larger screen. Also, it is a lot faster and smoother.

I absolutely love my Vega now, but to put it in perspective...

Stock 1.04: 5 out of 10

MCR + PP: 9 out of 10

It has almost doubled my enjoyment of the device.

Install it now!

I guys

I am news on Android world:)

I just got my Advent Vega and I'm not to sure about to keep it or not.I just realise that it's not comming with android market and google stuff:(

I read somes forums about to upgrade and adding new apps.

I follow the instructions how to add a custom ROM and the performance pack.....but i think I am not doing everithing i should.

If anyone can help me how to do it whrigt, I will appreciate.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Had my vega a cuple of days now and really enjoying it with the v5 update from Paul (great work thanks man!). I was thinking about paying the tenner for the performance pack but wondered if it was really worth it? It it a huge speed increase? Could annyone who has already bought it let me know please it wiuld be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Newbe5

Edit: Just read through this wihole thread and there are a lot of people saying how good it is, so I think i am going to take the plunge! Thanks guys!

Edit 2: Christ on a bike... Just upgraded to premium membership and installed the performance pack... This thing is flying along now! Really noticable difference after using the vega without it for a couple of days! Just turning on the water ripple live wallpaper is the easiest way to see the immediate difference! No more lag! Also, whipping away on the on screen keyboard writing this post and there are MUCH fewer missed keys or double-taps than before. If you are going to spend any mooney on the vega, buy this!

Edited by newbe5

Guest carl rose

Yes but that's just you? Right? Why should he be forced to give £10 when he is asking what he gets and no one was answering? I know the devs do a lot for our devices but they do it because they want to no one is forcing them. For me a Tenner in the times we are facing is quite a lot. Can you imagine a tenner a person times 500 - 600 people? A lot of money! I don't mind donating 2 or 3 quid without even getting the performance pack but to say just cough up £10 without knowing what you are buying is just insane. What I find funny is that people in another thread are saying that £30 is too much money for a case for their tablet. Just my opinion.

Edited by carl rose

Guest swarrans
Yes but that's just you? Right? Why should he be forced to give £10 when he is asking what he gets and no one was answering? I know the devs do a lot for our devices but they do it because they want to no one is forcing them. For me a Tenner in the times we are facing is quite a lot. Can you imagine a tenner a person times 500 - 600 people? A lot of money! I don't mind donating 2 or 3 quid without even getting the performance pack but to say just cough up £10 without knowing what you are buying is just insane. What I find funny is that people in another thread are saying that £30 is too much money for a case for their tablet. Just my opinion.

Well, I was responding to Ashbash and as you can see from his posts he's very pleased having subscribed.

Entirely up to you if you want to subscribe or not of course, but I think if you can cough up £250 for the tablet it's a bit hard to believe that £10 would break the bank. If you have read the other threads you'll also see that the performance pack makes quite a difference - smoother and faster.

Enjoy your Vega and Happy New Year!