Dell 2.2 Help required

Guest Earthcoder

Guest Earthcoder

Hello all

I got a dell streak last week and loving it, i updated to official 2.2 from dell, and i am not pleased with it as cant seem to play pocket legends or get my wifi working on bt hub, i been reading that DJ_steves rom works with pocket legends, and there some root access fixes for wifi.

but the problem i have is that i cant find any guides on how to root my 2.2 build 11548 streak.

im not sure where to start ive search and search forums and google and cant seem to find anything to help me, has anyone got any guides to change my dell 2.2 to steves version

any help would be great as im totally stuck.

z4root

Hello all

I got a dell streak last week and loving it, i updated to official 2.2 from dell, and i am not pleased with it as cant seem to play pocket legends or get my wifi working on bt hub, i been reading that DJ_steves rom works with pocket legends, and there some root access fixes for wifi.

but the problem i have is that i cant find any guides on how to root my 2.2 build 11548 streak.

im not sure where to start ive search and search forums and google and cant seem to find anything to help me, has anyone got any guides to change my dell 2.2 to steves version

any help would be great as im totally stuck.

Guest Earthcoder
z4root

downloaded z4root and got root access wifi still not working but not major issue.

but would really like to know how i can do dj_steves rom from official 2.2 build 11548 streak. as cant see any guides about how to do it, there all from 2.1 and 1.6

Guest Stephen Hyde
downloaded z4root and got root access wifi still not working but not major issue.

but would really like to know how i can do dj_steves rom from official 2.2 build 11548 streak. as cant see any guides about how to do it, there all from 2.1 and 1.6

you *should* be able to just flash clockwork and then my 1.4.5 and it wshould work

Guest Earthcoder
you *should* be able to just flash clockwork and then my 1.4.5 and it wshould work

done z4root so device is rooted even if reboot

installed rom manger

got clockworkmod recovery

it says current recovery clockworkmod 2.5.0.1

I have tried Install rom from SD card

and phone reboots, dell logo comes up then animi then loads phone up to lock screen

tried the boot into recovery mode does same as above

tried the vol/down power on, and goes into the recovery mode by dell

any ideas!?

Guest topshelf95
done z4root so device is rooted even if reboot

installed rom manger

got clockworkmod recovery

it says current recovery clockworkmod 2.5.0.1

I have tried Install rom from SD card

and phone reboots, dell logo comes up then animi then loads phone up to lock screen

tried the boot into recovery mode does same as above

tried the vol/down power on, and goes into the recovery mode by dell

any ideas!?

Cant use rom manager, have to flash clockwork via fastboot. Then when you boot into recovery it will still be the dell recovery, but you then select the second option with the camera button, someting about "install blah blah blah update pkg" that will take you to clockwork recovery where you can choose to install zip from sd card, then select zip from sd card, and then confirm install. May need to flash the amss file via fastboot as well for this to work. You can find links to all these files by searching the forum.) Search for a thread titled "guide to upgrading and downgrading the dell streak" (or something like that) it has all the links to the files I just mentioned. One thing confusing about flashing this phone is that there are different recovery images for both clockwork and stock. If you have an issue, its likely that you will just need to flash a different clockwork via fastboot.

Edited by topshelf95

Guest Earthcoder

Confusing.. I managed to get Fastboot working done the Clockmod file batch file said on phone it was done rebooted, and then i tried to do recovery again and still get default Dell recovery ;/ ("install blah blah blah update pkg")

i checked in rom manager too and it didnt work.

Edit: I tried a factory reset on phone, then installed superuser and terminal to test if still had root access which i did, so installed rom manager again, it showed that i still had clockworkmod installed, rebooted tried recovery still no luck..

maybe official 2.2 android is not compatible with clockworkmod..

Cant use rom manager, have to flash clockwork via fastboot. Then when you boot into recovery it will still be the dell recovery, but you then select the second option with the camera button, someting about "install blah blah blah update pkg" that will take you to clockwork recovery where you can choose to install zip from sd card, then select zip from sd card, and then confirm install. May need to flash the amss file via fastboot as well for this to work. You can find links to all these files by searching the forum.) Search for a thread titled "guide to upgrading and downgrading the dell streak" (or something like that) it has all the links to the files I just mentioned. One thing confusing about flashing this phone is that there are different recovery images for both clockwork and stock. If you have an issue, its likely that you will just need to flash a different clockwork via fastboot.
Edited by Earthcoder

Confusing.. I managed to get Fastboot working done the Clockmod file batch file said on phone it was done rebooted, and then i tried to do recovery again and still get default Dell recovery ;/ ("install blah blah blah update pkg")

i checked in rom manager too and it didnt work.

Edit: I tried a factory reset on phone, then installed superuser and terminal to test if still had root access which i did, so installed rom manager again, it showed that i still had clockworkmod installed, rebooted tried recovery still no luck..

maybe official 2.2 android is not compatible with clockworkmod..

dont use scripts don't use batches..

clockwork 2.5.0.1 works fine on stock 2,2 I used it several times..

Guest Earthcoder
dont use scripts don't use batches..

clockwork 2.5.0.1 works fine on stock 2,2 I used it several times..

done again this time

C:\recov>fastboot-windows.exe -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.img

sending 'recovery' (3280 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... OKAY

C:\recov>fastboot-windows.exe -i 0x413c reboot

rebooting...

C:\recov>

Then tried recovery again still not working.

If you done on your stock several times, did you use z4root to give it root access, and did you use rom manager.

All i keep getting is

Android system recovery utility - GAUSB1A130900

Edited by Earthcoder

done again this time

C:\recov>fastboot-windows.exe -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.img

sending 'recovery' (3280 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... OKAY

C:\recov>fastboot-windows.exe -i 0x413c reboot

rebooting...

C:\recov>

Then tried recovery again still not working.

If you done on your stock several times, did you use z4root to give it root access, and did you use rom manager.

All i keep getting is

what happens when you press 2 in recovery ?

I never use rom manager

I always root every rom I have as soon as I can, I like to control *my* device :P

make sure you're flashing the correct recovery, but try root first

you can also try mistadaman recovery that's on xda dell streak forum.

Edited by fards

Guest Earthcoder
what happens when you press 2 in recovery ?

I never use rom manager

I always root every rom I have as soon as I can, I like to control *my* device :P

make sure you're flashing the correct recovery, but try root first

you can also try mistadaman recovery that's on xda dell streak forum.

after i press 2 i get

saying i need to download from dell support for restore.

when you say you root every rom do you mean installing from fastboot?

after i press 2 i get

saying i need to download from dell support for restore.

when you say you root every rom do you mean installing from fastboot?

no

when I get a rom, I work out what it needs to get root access and do it..

fastboot is a pre-loader to allow you to flash various images to your device.. it has nothing to do with root.

it maybe that the version of fastboot program on your pc isn't playing properly (there are others)

if you can get on irc then irc.freenode.net channel #dellstreak as its easier to sort these things out in realtime..

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, to hear you have this problem, but I am happy to find someone with the same issue. I have a Dell Streak which I upgraded to 2.2 before putting clockworkmod on it. I now cannot install clockworkmod. I do think that the stardard 2.2 upgrade also made the default recovery incompatible for an upgrade to clockworkmod. I have rooted via Zroot. Fastboot works Ie fastboot devices and fastboot reboot work, but fastboot install of clockworkmod looks like it works but I always get the default recovery when I boot using the hold down volume and power, option 2 is the default recovery. Rom Manager shows clockworkmod install but I cannot get it to load when powering on via the volume/power option.

Guest Stephen Hyde

just wondering are you booting back into android after flashing recovery - if so its likely jsut overwriting clockwork on boot - your better off rebooting from fastboot and keeping both vol keys held then heading straight to recovery - ie DO NOT boot into the os inbetween

Success, I am not sure what actually fixed this. I did a reset to factory defaults, then reflashed clockworkmod, this time I took you advice and didn't boot android, but took the battery out after the flash, then started up in recovery mod. Clockworkmod started and I flashed smokku performance fixed for 309. Quadrant score now 1483 compared to 800 before the update. Thanks for your help.