USB host mode

Guest Sven Killig

Guest Sven Killig

Update:

I made it :P Details for USB host mode on my website.

Original posting:

Hello!

A friend of mine brought the ZTE Blade to my attention. Quite an interesting phone! I'd be interested to enable USB host mode on it like I did for the Nexus One. So if someone from UK is interested and sell me one and ship it to Germany, I'd give it a try.

Edited by Sven Killig

Guest kuemmeltuerk
Hello!

A friend of mine brought the ZTE Blade to my attention. Quite an interesting phone! I'd be interested to enable USB host mode on it like I did for the Nexus One. So if someone from UK is interested and sell me one and ship it to Germany, I'd give it a try.

Hi Sven,

pls have a look at this:

http://www.android-hilfe.de/zte-blade-orange-san-francisco/

I have descriped a way to import it via Borderlinx from play.com

Also you can contact the Members in germany, some of them have alreadyx got their phones

Guest Sven Killig
I have descriped a way to import it via Borderlinx from play.com

Thanks for the description, I preordered a (unfortunately) white one yesterday and made it through the security check by phone this morning. As thrilling as the Nexus One import I made a year ago X-) If only Borderlinx wasn't so expensive...

Guest mrflibbles
Cool! Do you think the Blade/SanFran has the right sort of hardware for this?

Yes it does. The Qualcom MSM7227 (the chip at the heart of the Blade) has a USB2.0 OTG controller (both host and device)

http://wenku.baidu.com/view/0f4f8637f111f18583d05af3.html

Good Luck Sven, let us know how you get on.

Edited by mrflibbles

Guest Sven Killig
YAY! Fingers crossed that Sven is able to get his hands on a Blade and do his wizardry with it.

I hoped that Play.com would have shipped it on November 30th, but now it's delayed till (at least) December 16th :P Get's terse, I wanted to give it to my mother for Xmas...

So if anyone from the UK could buy one at his next Orange shop and sell it to me, I'd be very grateful!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oh!dougal
I made it :) Details for USB host mode on my website.

Sven, congratulations and thanks!

Your page references usb drivers for disks (or presumably anything that looks like a disk).

However, the lack of power provision from the Blade suggests that going through a powered usb hub looks like a necessity - even for a flash drive.

Is it likely to be an absolute necessity to protect the Blade's usb chip from external voltages?

ANY notes on use or suggestions for picking up working drivers would be both welcome and (probably) necessary!

My expectation would be that providing usb-audio-out would be something of general interest to Blade owners, given the marginal quantity (and sometimes quality) of the signals at the headset jack.

I hope that the custom-kernel-compilers on here will pick up your host-mode software and be able to include it as a matter of routine.

Guest Swimmerboy
great! congrats!

Is this the right kind of cable?

Yup, it's the female "USB A" to male "Micro USB" that you need - but as mentioned above, power (or more exactly lack of power) may be an issue - hadn't thought of this.

Guest Sven Killig
Is it likely to be an absolute necessity to protect the Blade's usb chip from external voltages?

The Blade is charged by the hub.

My expectation would be that providing usb-audio-out would be something of general interest to Blade owners, given the marginal quantity (and sometimes quality) of the signals at the headset jack.

I hope that the custom-kernel-compilers on here will pick up your host-mode software and be able to include it as a matter of routine.

I updated the modules archive to include USB audio drivers.

Guest oh!dougal

Sven for my Android-n00b clarification, is this going to work with 2.1 or does it depend on 2.2?

"Software based {for Nexus 1} on Android version: 2.2.1; Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-27240-gbca5320; Build number: FRG83D "

Guest Sven Killig
Sven for my Android-n00b clarification, is this going to work with 2.1 or does it depend on 2.2?

"Software based {for Nexus 1} on Android version: 2.2.1; Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-27240-gbca5320; Build number: FRG83D "

"XCD 35 open source code for Android Eclair" → Android 2.1 → kernel 2.6.29

Guest Sven Killig
is it possible to connect an usb printer ?

In principle all devices that Linux supports can be connected. But depending on the device, one may have to either use a Debian overlay or write a bridge to the Android framework.

Edited by Sven Killig

Guest Phoenix Silver
In principle all devices that Linux supports can be connected. But depending on the device, one may have to either use a Debian overlay or write a bridge to the Android framework.

hp printer :)

in linux use hplip