[GUIDE] Debranding /Installing different/recovering bricked firmware on your Motorola Defy

Guest Higgsy

Guest #stingray#
Sure I can use the phone out of the box as I am doing with my O2 sim but it's got VF rubbish all over it and I hate it (it was actually an upgrade on my wife's VF contract but she gave it to me). So yes I want to de-brand using your guide but the only thing I'm un-sure about is the bit after step 8 where it says you'll have to re-root the device. So what I wanted to know is if I do step 8 and end up with the de-branded device do I need to do this 're-root' to get it to work or can I just put my sim back in and all will be well ? or maybe I just don't understand what is meant by 're-root'

Thanks

Ah ok so rooting is giving you admin/root access to the OS to do more advanced things so I guess this is not necessary and I could just install the firmware you mention and use it as is. Although I was thinking would it be wise to root beforehand and backup the existing OS before installing the un-branded version...

Thanks again

Guest #stingray#
Ah ok so rooting is giving you admin/root access to the OS to do more advanced things so I guess this is not necessary and I could just install the firmware you mention and use it as is. Although I was thinking would it be wise to root beforehand and backup the existing OS before installing the un-branded version...

Thanks again

LOL, just saw your reply Higgsy, thanks for your super help!

Guest Higgsy

Thanks again

Indeed as there is no sbf for your carrier available in the public domain, you would be wise to root/install Tenfars Clockworkmod Recovery (see XDA)/make a nandroid back up of your voda rom and then flash the generic sbf

Guest #stingray#
Indeed as there is no sbf for your carrier available in the public domain, you would be wise to root/install Tenfars Clockworkmod Recovery (see XDA)/make a nandroid back up of your voda rom and then flash the generic sbf

Righto, will give i a whirl, might have to wait till the weekend so I can give it my full attention !

Thanks.

Guest #stingray#
Righto, will give i a whirl, might have to wait till the weekend so I can give it my full attention !

Thanks.

okey cokey, so I rooted the Defy, installed the clockwork mod recovery and done a backup (seemed to be saved as img files), is it possible to just create a backup of the current rom as an sbf? on that note I came across ROM Manager v3.0.0.2, can I use this to flash with a rom I have saved on the SD card (the UK one recommended in this guide). I did install the free version to see what it's about and when I went into 'backup current rom' I got a message 'you must have clockworkmod recovery installed first' which I already did before trying rom manager so not sure what it's trying to do.

Or should I just stick to the RSDlite method....

Edited by #stingray#

Guest Higgsy
okey cokey, so I rooted the Defy, installed the clockwork mod recovery and done a backup (seemed to be saved as img files), is it possible to just create a backup of the current rom as an sbf? on that note I came across ROM Manager v3.0.0.2, can I use this to flash with a rom I have saved on the SD card (the UK one recommended in this guide). I did install the free version to see what it's about and when I went into 'backup current rom' I got a message 'you must have clockworkmod recovery installed first' which I already did before trying rom manager so not sure what it's trying to do.

Or should I just stick to the RSDlite method....

Dunno about ROM Manager, don't use it - not sure all it features will even work with the Defy in a stock rooted state, I used to have it on an old Cyanogen ROM on my HTC Hero. As for making an sbf with your backup - possible, but not worth the hassle imo, info can be found on the defy section of modmymobile on how to unpack/pack an sbf.

Basically if something goes wrong and the phone wont boot, you reflash the sbf, reroot with z4root and reapply the clockworkmod recovery, if you had these on your phone installed in the data partition then you dont even need to reinstall these apps as flashing the sbf leaves the data partition intact. Then boot into the recovery and restore you backup, the backup is a full system image so phone will be exactly like it was when you made it. Once you have done it a few times you can do the whole lot in like 15 mins.

Guest #stingray#
Dunno about ROM Manager, don't use it - not sure all it features will even work with the Defy in a stock rooted state, I used to have it on an old Cyanogen ROM on my HTC Hero. As for making an sbf with your backup - possible, but not worth the hassle imo, info can be found on the defy section of modmymobile on how to unpack/pack an sbf.

Basically if something goes wrong and the phone wont boot, you reflash the sbf, reroot with z4root and reapply the clockworkmod recovery, if you had these on your phone installed in the data partition then you dont even need to reinstall these apps as flashing the sbf leaves the data partition intact. Then boot into the recovery and restore you backup, the backup is a full system image so phone will be exactly like it was when you made it. Once you have done it a few times you can do the whole lot in like 15 mins.

Great stuff Higgsy

I did actually flash the generic ROM last night with RSDlite after my last post, I thought what the heck lets give it a whirl! I thought if it could be done by ROM manager I should have been able to find the info somewhere within the realms of XDA or here and didn't.

All is well, your steps above worked a treat, no hassle. Even rooted again afterwards and got rid of that VF rubbish.

Guest arixal

Hi,

I just got my t-mobile defy from US unlocked.. I'm using it in indonesia, and the problem with it is, it seems that it needs data plan.. i know that it is the "real point" of the phone to have data plan.. but currently, I only have regular connection.. which cost a lot.. but the tmobile settings seems to force the phone to connect to the "data plan" server.. if you know what I meant..

so I can't get the phone connected to the regular data connection.. is this UK debranded firmware will make my defy able to connect to the regular data connection?? or would it allow me to use the phone without setting the motoblur (skip the motoblur).. because t-mobile won't let me use the phone in initial setup unless I get the motoblur account set up.. (just like in the XDA dev thread about the t-mobile us defy)

anyway, thank's for the guide :unsure:

Guest Higgsy
Hi,

I just got my t-mobile defy from US unlocked.. I'm using it in indonesia, and the problem with it is, it seems that it needs data plan.. i know that it is the "real point" of the phone to have data plan.. but currently, I only have regular connection.. which cost a lot.. but the tmobile settings seems to force the phone to connect to the "data plan" server.. if you know what I meant..

so I can't get the phone connected to the regular data connection.. is this UK debranded firmware will make my defy able to connect to the regular data connection?? or would it allow me to use the phone without setting the motoblur (skip the motoblur).. because t-mobile won't let me use the phone in initial setup unless I get the motoblur account set up.. (just like in the XDA dev thread about the t-mobile us defy)

anyway, thank's for the guide :unsure:

hmm, not sure what you mean by a "regular data connection" you either have a data connection or not? I would say you need to go generic on the firmware, you are using a phone with firmware customised for a particular network in a particaluer country. Just bare in mind you can't go back, but I know for a fact many Asian users have flashed the generic UK firmware and it works fine for them. If you don't want mobile data on the best thing I have found for toggling it on/off easily and quickly is widgetsoid 2 - free from the market - its an awesome app that lets you toggle other stuff as well, that way you can easily turn off mobile data all the time.

Guest arixal
hmm, not sure what you mean by a "regular data connection" you either have a data connection or not? I would say you need to go generic on the firmware, you are using a phone with firmware customised for a particular network in a particaluer country. Just bare in mind you can't go back, but I know for a fact many Asian users have flashed the generic UK firmware and it works fine for them. If you don't want mobile data on the best thing I have found for toggling it on/off easily and quickly is widgetsoid 2 - free from the market - its an awesome app that lets you toggle other stuff as well, that way you can easily turn off mobile data all the time.

thank's a lot for the advice man.. it really helps.. what i meant with regular data connection is I have data connection, but it's not a data plan.. you just pay what you used.. and it cost a lot.. while the data plan usually cost the same amount for unlimited usage.. I recall someone in the US us this unlock tmobile defy with AT&T, and the result is, the phone connect to the data plan server of AT&T and the man get charges for data plan service which he never apply.. sucks..

okay, I'll try the UK generic firmware first before jumping to the no-Blur firmware.. :unsure: thank's again man..

Guest Higgsy
thank's a lot for the advice man.. it really helps.. what i meant with regular data connection is I have data connection, but it's not a data plan.. you just pay what you used.. and it cost a lot.. while the data plan usually cost the same amount for unlimited usage.. I recall someone in the US us this unlock tmobile defy with AT&T, and the result is, the phone connect to the data plan server of AT&T and the man get charges for data plan service which he never apply.. sucks..

okay, I'll try the UK generic firmware first before jumping to the no-Blur firmware.. :unsure: thank's again man..

I would personally go for the no blur - thats just my personal preference. Basically if you see the little "G" "E" "3G" or "H" next to the signal bars, your phone is sending and receiving data and if you haven't got a data plan eg 500mb/1gb/Unlimited (which usually means 3gb lol) monthly usage then you will be getting charged per mb or kb at an extortionate rate no doubt.

So just make sure those icons aren't there or they'll be stinging you.

Guest arixal
I would personally go for the no blur - thats just my personal preference. Basically if you see the little "G" "E" "3G" or "H" next to the signal bars, your phone is sending and receiving data and if you haven't got a data plan eg 500mb/1gb/Unlimited (which usually means 3gb lol) monthly usage then you will be getting charged per mb or kb at an extortionate rate no doubt.

So just make sure those icons aren't there or they'll be stinging you.

last night I decided to directly jump in the no blur firmware.. and it works like a charm..!! no settings needed and the phone connect to my local provider data connection.. and the firmware would allow me to turn off the connection too.. :D

from what I've read at XDA-dev, T-mob is actually putting "special code" for phones they consider smartphone (outside of BB) so that the phone would only connect to the "smart phone" data plan which cost more than the non smart phone data plan.. that's just sucks.. B)

anyway.. have gone through it.. and I'm very happy with my phone right now.. just one little problem though.. if I install vignette, it messed up the camera driver, luckily, before I install vignette, I already made backup of the firmware using the recovery tools.. :P

Guest meetjoe

Hello All

I am looking for a unlocked firmware for Motorola defy for US TMobile? I want to use it when I go to India. Can some one please direct me to one?

J

Edited by meetjoe

Guest Higgsy
Hello All

I am looking for a unlocked firmware for Motorola defy for US TMobile? I want to use it when I go to India. Can some one please direct me to one?

J

This doesn't unlock your phone from a network, you will need to purchase a subsidy code from either t mobile, or I have heard that GSM Liberty's codes work too.

Guest #stingray#

Hey Higgsy, question for ya.

I flashed the 2.21 UK version some days ago but I notice the VF360 stuff is still there in contacts. How do I get rid of this?

If I go to contacts>more>settings I cannot seem to un-tick VF360 or MOTOBLUR, seems to be 'greyed out' but ticked....

Thnx

I flashed the 2.21 UK version some days ago but I notice the VF360 stuff is still there in contacts. How do I get rid of this?

If I go to contacts>more>settings I cannot seem to un-tick VF360 or MOTOBLUR, seems to be 'greyed out' but ticked....

Thnx

complete data wipe probably I would guess, basically if you flash a different firmware and wipe everything, then once flashed wipe again. easiest way to do this is when flashing .sbf is to do it by stock recovery mode (power on while holding down, when the warning triangle comes up press the bottom right of the screen then wipe cache/data partition.

Hi, I flashed the 2.21 the other day without problems

So last night I wiped the phone and flashed the 2.34 deblur successfully and now I can't connect to T-Mobile it seems, just says "Emergency calls only".

Anything I need to do to get it working? Or should I just go back to 2.21?

I love this phone so much though, I've had it for a month and it's soooo cheap for such a great device!

Hi, I flashed the 2.21 the other day without problems

So last night I wiped the phone and flashed the 2.34 deblur successfully and now I can't connect to T-Mobile it seems, just says "Emergency calls only".

Anything I need to do to get it working? Or should I just go back to 2.21?

I love this phone so much though, I've had it for a month and it's soooo cheap for such a great device!

no but did you do a full wipe before switching to 2.34 or you will have problems - if you check my thread on xda you will see my suggested method for moving to 2.34 from 2.21

Cheers

Guest #stingray#

Thnx

Solved, seems before flashing it's a good idea to wipe user data/cache. No more VF360 !

Also came across this problem of Android Market Terms & Conditions 'hanging' after hard reset, solution I found to work for me was to disable wifi, allow location via gps/wifi/mobile networks, do not add your google account at startup add it when logging on to Market and all seems to work, then you can access Market via wifi again and you can put all your settings back to how you wish..... If it helps anyone.....

Guest #stingray#
complete data wipe probably I would guess, basically if you flash a different firmware and wipe everything, then once flashed wipe again. easiest way to do this is when flashing .sbf is to do it by stock recovery mode (power on while holding down, when the warning triangle comes up press the bottom right of the screen then wipe cache/data partition.

DOH!, for some reason I didn't see your response before posting mine yesterday but this is what I did anyway. Thanks, this worked.

Guest #stingray#

Missing bit:

power on while holding volume down button, when the warning triangle comes up press the bottom right of the screen then wipe cache/data partition

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Naga Raju Appani
Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any damage to your phone, your PC or indeed your life from following this guide. The steps in this guide worked for me. If you have problems uninstall everything and start from Step 4 again. Doing this kind of thing could affect your warranty and all that so have a long hard think about it before you go ahead

This guide will show you how to debrand your Motorola Defy (Eg bought on T-Mobile UK and want generic UK firmware), or indeed restore the phone if you brick (Eg ie removing important apps that you shouldn’t have touched!!)

Props go to jutley for his debranding guide for the flipout, and dkspook for his information in other threads, and anyone else who thinks they may have contributed, oh yeah and my Mum.

##WARNING: Do not flash the newer 2.51 UK Firmware - it is patched and at present root is not possible. Also the Deblur Firmware, is by no means Vanilla - it just has some elements such as the social networking app removed, My advice is to stay on 2.21 UK##

##Disconnect phone from PC##

STEP 1 Download usb drivers here below

http://developer.motorola.com/docstools/US...r/?pubid=987654

STEP 2 Download the debranded Firmware here (To debrand to generic UK I used the one marked UK - choose the one for your country)

http://and-developers.com/sbf:defy

STEP 3 Download RSDLite - I used v4.9, I found earlier versions would not work. Get it here.

http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1285967465

STEP 4 Install the USB Drivers and the RSDLite program and reboot PC

STEP 5 Extract the firmware file you downloaded a while ago. Then copy the .sbf firmware file to c:\Program files\Motorola\RSDLite folder (installation directory for RDSLite). this should come out as JRDNEM_U3_2.21.0_SIGNED_UCAJRDNEMARAB1B80AA028.0R_USAJORDANRTGB_P026_A007_HWp3_S

rvice1FF.sbf for the UK one.

STEP 6 Start the RSDLite program now where it says filename press the select button and find the .sbf firmware file in c:\Program files\Motorola\RSDLite (it should default to this folder) and select the (sbf) file some details will appear on the right hand side.

STEP 7 We now need to boot the phone into the bootloader (as above make sure the phone is disconnected from USB – not sure if matters tho!). Hold the volume up and then power the phone on, after about 5 seconds release the buttons and the bootloader should display - it will show the version and a battery check. Now plug in the USB cable and it should install the drivers. Once its finished you should see the phone appear at the bottom of the RSDLite program window under `port 1` - Once this is there you are ready to flash the firmware. NB: I had issues getting it to show a number of times. Uninstalling RSDLite/Drivers, rebooting PC, and then reinstalling these resolved this issue.

STEP 8 Press the start button on the RSDLite and just relax while your device gets flashed,debranded etc. you will see a progress status on the right hand side wait till it reaches 100% but please do not disconect it will reboot the phone automaticly and restart the phone.And just wait untill android comes up and fully running untill you disconnect it should read "PLEASE START PHONE MANUALLY" on RSDLite, when this shows it is safe to unplug.

Hopefully now you will have a debranded/unbricked phone.

One thing I noticed is that the data partition stayed intact for me when I debranded, meaning all my settings and installed app (providing you hadn’t moved stuff to /system) were still there after the process – cool! The only thing you will have to do is re-root the device.

Hope you find this useful and I look forward to a great community for the Defy!

Guest Naga Raju Appani
Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any damage to your phone, your PC or indeed your life from following this guide. The steps in this guide worked for me. If you have problems uninstall everything and start from Step 4 again. Doing this kind of thing could affect your warranty and all that so have a long hard think about it before you go ahead

This guide will show you how to debrand your Motorola Defy (Eg bought on T-Mobile UK and want generic UK firmware), or indeed restore the phone if you brick (Eg ie removing important apps that you shouldn’t have touched!!)

Props go to jutley for his debranding guide for the flipout, and dkspook for his information in other threads, and anyone else who thinks they may have contributed, oh yeah and my Mum.

##WARNING: Do not flash the newer 2.51 UK Firmware - it is patched and at present root is not possible. Also the Deblur Firmware, is by no means Vanilla - it just has some elements such as the social networking app removed, My advice is to stay on 2.21 UK##

##Disconnect phone from PC##

STEP 1 Download usb drivers here below

http://developer.motorola.com/docstools/US...r/?pubid=987654

Hi,

I was just flashing the UK Firmware on a unbricked phone. I have actually rooted my phone and this phone is from honk-kong. I was using RSD lite 4.9 to flash the sbf. It went well till 73% and suddenly phone turned off and RSD Lite displayed "Failed, Device disconnected error". Now, I am not able to bring the phone on. When I connect the phone to charger, there is nothing on the phone like it is dead. When I connect phone through USB, I can see white light

STEP 2 Download the debranded Firmware here (To debrand to generic UK I used the one marked UK - choose the one for your country)

http://and-developers.com/sbf:defy

STEP 3 Download RSDLite - I used v4.9, I found earlier versions would not work. Get it here.

http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1285967465

STEP 4 Install the USB Drivers and the RSDLite program and reboot PC

STEP 5 Extract the firmware file you downloaded a while ago. Then copy the .sbf firmware file to c:\Program files\Motorola\RSDLite folder (installation directory for RDSLite). this should come out as JRDNEM_U3_2.21.0_SIGNED_UCAJRDNEMARAB1B80AA028.0R_USAJORDANRTGB_P026_A007_HWp3_S

rvice1FF.sbf for the UK one.

STEP 6 Start the RSDLite program now where it says filename press the select button and find the .sbf firmware file in c:\Program files\Motorola\RSDLite (it should default to this folder) and select the (sbf) file some details will appear on the right hand side.

STEP 7 We now need to boot the phone into the bootloader (as above make sure the phone is disconnected from USB – not sure if matters tho!). Hold the volume up and then power the phone on, after about 5 seconds release the buttons and the bootloader should display - it will show the version and a battery check. Now plug in the USB cable and it should install the drivers. Once its finished you should see the phone appear at the bottom of the RSDLite program window under `port 1` - Once this is there you are ready to flash the firmware. NB: I had issues getting it to show a number of times. Uninstalling RSDLite/Drivers, rebooting PC, and then reinstalling these resolved this issue.

STEP 8 Press the start button on the RSDLite and just relax while your device gets flashed,debranded etc. you will see a progress status on the right hand side wait till it reaches 100% but please do not disconect it will reboot the phone automaticly and restart the phone.And just wait untill android comes up and fully running untill you disconnect it should read "PLEASE START PHONE MANUALLY" on RSDLite, when this shows it is safe to unplug.

Hopefully now you will have a debranded/unbricked phone.

One thing I noticed is that the data partition stayed intact for me when I debranded, meaning all my settings and installed app (providing you hadn’t moved stuff to /system) were still there after the process – cool! The only thing you will have to do is re-root the device.

Hope you find this useful and I look forward to a great community for the Defy!

Hi,

I was flashing the UK Sbf on a unbricked phone using RSD Lite 4.9. During the flashing process, suddenly phone turned off and disconnected with RSD Lite displayed a message "Failed, Device disconnected error".

I actually had 40% battery b4 starting the process. is it the low-battery problem?? Now, I am not able to do anything with the phone. When I have plugged in for charging, it says nothing. Is it dead?? But, when I have connected to the USB, a white small light comes on the top.

How to get my phone back? My phone is from Honk kong and i have rooted it as well.

Would u please guide me if we can do something??

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,

Naga