GT540 Update! Help Needed!

Guest Gemma-X

Guest Gemma-X

I recently purchased an 'lg optimus gt540' from carphone warehouse in the UK the phone was sold unlocked with no network branding, however i am stuck now i know this has been talked about on numerous other threads and sites across the net tho none of them make any sense to me, i am trying to update android 1.6 to 2.1 however nothing i try works i constantly says latest software is already on there but its still 1.6! i downloaded the stuff from the lg website (which is very poor and has terrible english) i turned off the mass storage thing on the phone and enabled the usb debugging but just cant get it to work, i only want to use the official lg update as i value my warranty but ive never been anywhere near a smartphone before and im totally lost on this and i would really really appreciate it if someone could help me on this or tell me where i can find a complete step by step guide for dummies from start to finish with everything explained clearly and in English, anyway many many thanks in advance.....