Slow To Authenticate to Wifi Access Point

Guest mcdanjw

Guest mcdanjw

When I try to logon to certain wifi access points, my Streak will take 2 to 3 minutes to discover and authenticate to the network.

These are access points that I have logged onto before, and once it does connect, it works fine.

It just takes a very long time.

Other places, I turn on the wifi and it connects within seconds.

Does anyone have any idea why this occurs? Is it a setting on the wireless router that needs to be changed?

For instance, connecting to my brand new Linksys WRT310N takes about 3 minutes. Yet, I go over to my friends house, and I connect in 10 seconds to his network.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

When I try to logon to certain wifi access points, my Streak will take 2 to 3 minutes to discover and authenticate to the network.

These are access points that I have logged onto before, and once it does connect, it works fine.

It just takes a very long time.

Other places, I turn on the wifi and it connects within seconds.

Does anyone have any idea why this occurs? Is it a setting on the wireless router that needs to be changed?

For instance, connecting to my brand new Linksys WRT310N takes about 3 minutes. Yet, I go over to my friends house, and I connect in 10 seconds to his network.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

try a different channel on your router if you can

Guest slarty01

Edit:

I just swapped between APN and wifi and back and even with the new channel change it sits at obtaining IP for some time. If I disable APN then choose Wifi it finds it a wee bit quicker whereas before it used to disable the APN and go straight to wifi. Just some observations

Interesting I had the same issue but due to the massive range increase I ignored it and after your suggestion, It works instantly. Any reason as to why as a matter of interest? :P

try a different channel on your router if you can
Edited by slarty01

Guest jannism

I've also had a serious decline in wifi performance since 1.3 and had been led to believe this was a known issue with the wifi radio itself from more recent builds based on Dell's kernel? (I'm pretty sure Steve says something about it somewhere on here)

IIRC 1.1.1 was the last time it worked without a glitch for me. I skipped 1.2, went straight to 1.3 and have installed every update since, I think. I'll try the channel change and report back.

Update: well that does appear to have resolved it. Also, signal strength appears to be back to normal.

Edited by jannism