24/Jan 2.5.1.8: ClockworkMod for the Advent Vega

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Schooleydoo

I have pushed what is needed using the first two code commands, on a cleanly installed 1.08 R8.

However...

adb.exe shell chmod 4755 /data/local/flash_image

This step opens Android Debug Bridge on mine. It doesn't seem to do any more than that.

When I then enter:

adb.exe shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /data/local/recovery.img

I get a permission denied error. Any ideas? I am in an Administrator command prompt.

Edit: I must have missed something in step 3. When I started again and copied and pasted each step into my CP, it didn't open the Debug Bridge.

Now CWModded :(

Edited by Schooleydoo

Guest henky92

clockwordmod is acting weird, when I try to select: apply update, and press the power button to enter it returns to the main menu:| there's no way for me to select any option!

Guest s2k52

I finally got the ClockworkMod recovery installed but couldn't get the adb method to work. So, I thought I'd share the details of my solution with anyone else with the same problem.

When I run the command "adb devices" I get the "error: device not found" message. Despite reinstallation of USB drivers and following the various suggestions in other posts, it still doesn't show my Vega. I originally had a similar problem with my Milestone, but an upgrade to the Android SDK fixed that.

Anyway, I ended up using a combination of the Root Explorer and Better Terminal apps on my Vega to perform the installation. I used Root Explorer to copy recovery.img and flash_image from the download location to /data/local/. The iFileManager on the Vega can't see the files in this directory, but Root Explorer can.

I then found that although Root Explorer can set Read/Write/Execute permissions, e.g. 755, it doesn't seem to be able to set the UID. So, I used Better Terminal to “cd” to the directory and, following an “su” command and agreeing to the pop-up regarding superuser privilege, did the chmod 4755. As I was already in the directory, the final command before reboot was just

./flash_image recovery ./recovery.img

I could have done all the above with just Better Terminal but there's less typing involved by copying with Root Explorer. I originally tried to use the free Terminal Emulator for the command line stuff, but it opens full screen on the Vega so you don't have the soft menu key normally available in the notification bar and there's no hard menu key (at least not on mine!). Whereas in Better Terminal the notification bar is still shown and the soft keyboard appears when you tap on the screen anyway.

[EDIT] I'd just bought my Vega when I wrote the above. I've now discovered that a long press on the back key acts as a menu key.

Edited by s2k52

• 2 weeks later...
Guest godinandroid

Question, earlier it was mentioned that this is available on rom manager, does this mean I can just purchase the premium version, search for pauls clockworkmod thing and install without using ADB etc?

Guest godinandroid
Question, earlier it was mentioned that this is available on rom manager, does this mean I can just purchase the premium version, search for pauls clockworkmod thing and install without using ADB etc?

Yes, you can. :D

Guest Fusion1296

hi All ,

just one question , i have read that usually the CWM Recovery overwrites the original recovery options on other devices , i assume from what i have read here that isnt the case with Vega ?

if i install this and all goes wrong can i still use the standard recovery ( back button , power , back ) to reload the official Vega rom and start again ?

thanks Andy

Ps got my Vega 2 days ago and loving it !!

Guest premieral
hi All ,

just one question , i have read that usually the CWM Recovery overwrites the original recovery options on other devices , i assume from what i have read here that isnt the case with Vega ?

if i install this and all goes wrong can i still use the standard recovery ( back button , power , back ) to reload the official Vega rom and start again ?

thanks Andy

Ps got my Vega 2 days ago and loving it !!

yes i have clockwork mod and have recovered more than once using the stockk vega rom :D

Guest Fusion1296
yes i have clockwork mod and have recovered more than once using the stockk vega rom :D

thanks for your very quick reply .

i assume that if i have used CWM to do a backup and then all goes wrong i would need to use default recovery then load standard rom then MCR then CWM then boot to CWM recovery and use the backup i have created to do a full restore ?

thanks Andy

Guest simonta
thanks for your very quick reply .

i assume that if i have used CWM to do a backup and then all goes wrong i would need to use default recovery then load standard rom then MCR then CWM then boot to CWM recovery and use the backup i have created to do a full restore ?

thanks Andy

There's a little confusion to be had on the Vega. It has 2 recoveries.

The first is the one you start with the holding buttons thing and use to flash ROMs. It is built into the Vega and is not touched with any of the things on this forum. You can flash ROMs, hack around and generally do anything to your Vega and this recovery will always be there.

The second is a partition of the Vega's ROM and client written when you flash a ROM or install something to it like CWM. If you install CWM, then flash the Advent ROM, CWM will be replaced with the default Vega software backup tool. You can see this in action by installing CWM then launching the Advent backup tool (from memory Settings->Software tool). You'll see that it starts CWM.

What's happening is that when you run an app to enter recovery, the Vega rebooted and loads the recovery partition which contains a mini version of the OS plus an app to run which is clockwork or Vega backup etc.

The holy grail of recovery on the Vega is to be able to boot into it directly using the hardware keys because currently you have a catch 22 which stops you using CWM to recover a borked Vega but you can only get to CWM when the Vega is running.

Hope this helps a little...

Guest Dademira
Like this...

P

12910404983720.jpg

I first updated to Google market then installed the rommanager and it flashed clockworkmod 2.5.1.4 but i cannot flash a rom ( I have root zroot did that for me) is it possible to rename > update-cm-7.0.0-RC0-Vega-KANG-signed to update.zip

and choose install update zip from sdcard?

this is a pic:

post-472363-1301398496_thumb.jpg It stays here forever i can only hardboot back to os. this is not the dualboot version.

please let me know what i can do

my device is a Viewpad 10s with the tegra2 inside from vieuwsonic ibelieve it is the same as the advent vega and gtablet. correct me if i'm wrong

Edited by Dademira

Guest Fusion1296
There's a little confusion to be had on the Vega. It has 2 recoveries.

The first is the one you start with the holding buttons thing and use to flash ROMs. It is built into the Vega and is not touched with any of the things on this forum. You can flash ROMs, hack around and generally do anything to your Vega and this recovery will always be there.

The second is a partition of the Vega's ROM and client written when you flash a ROM or install something to it like CWM. If you install CWM, then flash the Advent ROM, CWM will be replaced with the default Vega software backup tool. You can see this in action by installing CWM then launching the Advent backup tool (from memory Settings->Software tool). You'll see that it starts CWM.

What's happening is that when you run an app to enter recovery, the Vega rebooted and loads the recovery partition which contains a mini version of the OS plus an app to run which is clockwork or Vega backup etc.

The holy grail of recovery on the Vega is to be able to boot into it directly using the hardware keys because currently you have a catch 22 which stops you using CWM to recover a borked Vega but you can only get to CWM when the Vega is running.

Hope this helps a little...

Hi Thanks for your help and explanation i think i am understanding things better now i have only had my vega less than a week and im enjoying playing with it , its good fun , going to charge it up and then do a Nandroid from CWM then im going to check out my recovery options

Thanks Andy

Guest Dademira

Sorry if i ask e strange question.

I dont have an usb cabel to connect my vieuwpad 10s to my windows pc. So simply i cannot flash a recovery.

But i was thinking to use ADB you need dos prompt right?

So what if i use dos prompt on my viewpad ( i believe there are several apps that can do that) would it be possible to do that.

If not i have to find a cable on the net went to 3 stores and they all didn't have it.

Maybe there is an other solution that i dont know about.

Info

Viewpad 10s ( aka Advent ) is rooted with zRoot installed clockwork mod it says that i have clockwork mod recovery but when i use the boot to recovery app they advised it will only boot to

standart android recovery and i can only move up and down cant make a choice with any button.

And final it says formatting:.... and that is al it does in recovery waited all night on charger and in the morning it was still the same.

thanx for reading this or helping me.

Guest Vansphone
I first updated to Google market then installed the rommanager and it flashed clockworkmod 2.5.1.4 but i cannot flash a rom ( I have root zroot did that for me) is it possible to rename > update-cm-7.0.0-RC0-Vega-KANG-signed to update.zip

and choose install update zip from sdcard?

this is a pic:

post-472363-1301398496_thumb.jpg It stays here forever i can only hardboot back to os. this is not the dualboot version.

please let me know what i can do

my device is a Viewpad 10s with the tegra2 inside from vieuwsonic ibelieve it is the same as the advent vega and gtablet. correct me if i'm wrong

Interesting. I tried ROM manager with my Advent Vega and it seemed to work correctly and flash to 2.5.1.4 but on reboot the screen just shows the android and the box, but no menu. Therefore I assumed ROM manager did not work?

Edited by Vansphone

Guest Fusion1296

HI All,

Im Stuck , i installed the MCR over the original factory rom , done some customizing general apps etc , thought good idea to do a back up , went to apps selected Pauls recovery app , it said it was rebooting then i get the little green man with a box above and an arrow and nothing else , rebooting into normal mode , downloaded from market rom manager , and installed recovery from there , then selected option to boot to recovery and same thing little green man and box with arrow but nothing else , no writing .

looked thorough lots of posts but cant see any answers .

thanks Andy

Guest simonta

If you get the little green man, you probably haven't got clockwork installed correctly. Download it from the sticky thread here and follow the instructions.

Guest Fusion1296
If you get the little green man, you probably haven't got clockwork installed correctly. Download it from the sticky thread here and follow the instructions.

hi my day with me Vega isnt going well , oops , since doing the stuff above i now have no adb if i do adb devices it doesnt list any , i have checked the driver and still have Android Composite ADB interface under Android devices showing up when plugged in with USB debugging selected ??

thanks Andy

well its getting better i think , still no ADB on my laptop very strange but works fine on my partners laptop ,maybe my firewall is blocking it , it worked fine in the week and the driver loads ok , strange , just says no device when i do adb devices

i took your advice and pushed the files as it says in the 1st post here and all is ok , not tried a backup but it boots to it now , thanks for that , any idea why the rom manager doesnt push it correctly ? and why its not installed with the MCR ?

sorry i asked lots of questions but i like to understand how things work , or not work

Thanks Andy

Edited by Fusion1296

Guest wellibob

Im struggling to get clockwork mod on my vega. Ive read through the instructions, but the adb part confuses me, and im on win 7 x64, and cannot install the usb driver, as its not listed, and dont know to sort it. any help appreciated.

Guest nfuse

a very simple method to get clockworkmod on your vega, mobii or viewpad 10s is to extract an original rom like 1.09 extract it and replace the recovery.img with the clockworkmod version. double click lvds.bat and let nvflash do the work for you.

Good Luck.

Guest simonta
i took two old charge kabels of my phone cut the small plugs of and tyed them together, just keep the colors the same.

I'm not sure which one of us had more wine with Sunday lunch?

Guest gizzy98

Hey Guys,

Just got my Vega today and rooted it, but when I try to run the adb code i get an error on the:

adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /data/local/recovery.img

It says "Segmentation fault /data/local/flas..."

Any ideas whats causing this?

really want to get the recovery on so I can flash a new rom.

Thanks