noooooo pooorrqqquuueeeee

Guest offthahorse

Guest offthahorse

So, i broke my lcd and glass on my streak, on thanksgiving day of all days...

was getting out of the car and dropped it flat on its face.

at first i thought only the lcd was messed up but about a quarter inch of glass is broken as well.

I got the phone for virtually free, so i can sell it and profit or fix it for a smaller total investment than buying a new one...

who has LCD's available for the lowest price shipped?

Guest jmhalder
So, i broke my lcd and glass on my streak, on thanksgiving day of all days...

was getting out of the car and dropped it flat on its face.

at first i thought only the lcd was messed up but about a quarter inch of glass is broken as well.

I got the phone for virtually free, so i can sell it and profit or fix it for a smaller total investment than buying a new one...

who has LCD's available for the lowest price shipped?

hahaha, I also broke my LCD on thanksgiving day, getting out of the car, flat on its face on some gravel (slipped out of my shirt pocket, happened to not have the OB: Impact case on it), however I only broke the LCD and not the glass. I called up Dell and they are going to replace it, I believe free of charge (told em it broke in my pocket)... its worth mentioning that it wasn't a fall from too high up, and the LCD in the device is notorious for breaking easily. the LCD + Digitizer is ~$200 on ebay, if its under warranty, call Dell up and see how much they will charge to fix it.

Guest offthahorse
hahaha, I also broke my LCD on thanksgiving day, getting out of the car, flat on its face on some gravel (slipped out of my shirt pocket, happened to not have the OB: Impact case on it), however I only broke the LCD and not the glass. I called up Dell and they are going to replace it, I believe free of charge (told em it broke in my pocket)... its worth mentioning that it wasn't a fall from too high up, and the LCD in the device is notorious for breaking easily. the LCD + Digitizer is ~$200 on ebay, if its under warranty, call Dell up and see how much they will charge to fix it.

wanna know something crazy and coincidential?

The day after i was on the phone with dell all day. now, i work phones all day so im used to using an alias, which i did with the lady at dell. I gave her the pocket story (this is before i realized the glass itself broke) and she said theyd send a box/label out so i could send the bad phone back. Again, im used to using aliases so i gave her an incorrect name and phone number but the correct address, she did not ask for my credit card info and i was using this on a prepaid data only account so the number i gave her wont ring.

today coincidentially RIGHT after creating this thread, Fedex shows up with the box/label...which contained a BRAND NEW IN BOX DELL STREAK.

im torn right now. i know this is wrong and many wont condone this, but faced with the same situation many will consider the same thing

what happens if i dont send the old phone back?

what happens if i send it back and they find out its broken and i just lose contact with them

they dont have my real name

they dont have my credit card number

they dont have my real phone number

Really, whats to stop me from keeping the bad phone AND the good phone? (other than conscience and karma)

Edited by offthahorse

Guest Chris J
wanna know something crazy and coincidential?

The day after i was on the phone with dell all day. now, i work phones all day so im used to using an alias, which i did with the lady at dell. I gave her the pocket story (this is before i realized the glass itself broke) and she said theyd send a box/label out so i could send the bad phone back. Again, im used to using aliases so i gave her an incorrect name and phone number but the correct address, she did not ask for my credit card info and i was using this on a prepaid data only account so the number i gave her wont ring.

today coincidentially RIGHT after creating this thread, Fedex shows up with the box/label...which contained a BRAND NEW IN BOX DELL STREAK.

im torn right now. i know this is wrong and many wont condone this, but faced with the same situation many will consider the same thing

what happens if i dont send the old phone back?

what happens if i send it back and they find out its broken and i just lose contact with them

they dont have my real name

they dont have my credit card number

they dont have my real phone number

Really, whats to stop me from keeping the bad phone AND the good phone? (other than conscience and karma)

Hmmm tough one. That my friend is entirely between you and you conscience...

I know what I would do in your situation, but I'm not telling you :P

Guest offthahorse
erm you gave them the correct address?

you signed for it?

but yeah at least wait until they ask for it :P

yeah but the address isnt MY address, its my work address but i might be transferring soon...

thats my plan, ill wait till they ask for it, at which point ill send the old one, then ill wait for them to contact me.

You think theyll charge me the cost to fix or the cost of a new unit at this point?

Guest adzman808
yeah but the address isnt MY address, its my work address but i might be transferring soon...

thats my plan, ill wait till they ask for it, at which point ill send the old one, then ill wait for them to contact me.

You think theyll charge me the cost to fix or the cost of a new unit at this point?

i think you're in a win - win scenario TBH

if they were gonna be funny about it, they wouldn't have sent you the replacement already...

just dont sell the old one (yet)

Guest offthahorse
i think you're in a win - win scenario TBH

if they were gonna be funny about it, they wouldn't have sent you the replacement already...

just dont sell the old one (yet)

im not gonna, never planned. i can now justify the cost of replacing the screen, basically comes down to 2 dell streak for $220 + labor.

One for me and my car, one for my gf, we wighed the pros and cons and a dell streak is more useful for her than an acer netbook, due to the netbook not having a full version of office on it.

Guest johnh123
im not gonna, never planned. i can now justify the cost of replacing the screen, basically comes down to 2 dell streak for $220 + labor.

One for me and my car, one for my gf, we wighed the pros and cons and a dell streak is more useful for her than an acer netbook, due to the netbook not having a full version of office on it.

I vote for returning the broken one. Too many people do that and they won't be as nice with the rest of us.

Guest jmhalder

I work cell phomes also, I'm a supervisor at a front of store walmart wireless, so I do tmobile, at&t, verizon, I never use an alias, but they sent me a brand new replacement, I thought about not returning the other, or keeping some goodies like an extra memory card, I can only hope its this easy if anything goes wrong again. In the end ill probably just do the honest thing.

Guest offthahorse
I work cell phomes also, I'm a supervisor at a front of store walmart wireless, so I do tmobile, at&t, verizon, I never use an alias, but they sent me a brand new replacement, I thought about not returning the other, or keeping some goodies like an extra memory card, I can only hope its this easy if anything goes wrong again. In the end ill probably just do the honest thing.

was your broken? like glass broken?

Guest jmhalder
was your broken? like glass broken?

My lcd was broken, spidered about 1.5" in, the top glass (gorilla glass) is perfect and not even scratched.

Typing this from my new streak, wih crappy at&t 1.6 loaded still.

Guest topshelf95
I vote for returning the broken one. Too many people do that and they won't be as nice with the rest of us.

+1.

When they try to step up to the plate and give really great customer service, then get slapped in the face for it........... :P

Edited by topshelf95

Guest RedSlug

Conscience?

If you are the type of person to steal something, then keep it.

If not, return it.

Just because you want get caught doesn't make it anything less than theft. ;)

Guest User Error

just did this to my streak last night ;) glass is fine but lcd is done, about 1/3rd of the screen is black. gonna try to get a new one from dell monday.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jmhalder

I honestly was too busy to send mine out, and the issued FedEx shipping label was never printed and had expired, they sent me a letter with one enclosed as of last night, It doesn't say anywhere that they will bill me, however it does say in bold "You are required to return your original product to Dell."

I'd love to keep it, Its not gonna hurt Dell, But frankly they're customer service relies on people being honest so they can keep doing these kind of warranties, also who knows, I might have to warranty it again some day, lol.

Back you go busted Streak!

Guest Crinos512
I honestly was too busy to send mine out, and the issued FedEx shipping label was never printed and had expired, they sent me a letter with one enclosed as of last night, It doesn't say anywhere that they will bill me, however it does say in bold "You are required to return your original product to Dell."

I'd love to keep it, Its not gonna hurt Dell, But frankly they're customer service relies on people being honest so they can keep doing these kind of warranties, also who knows, I might have to warranty it again some day, lol.

Back you go busted Streak!

good for you jmhalder!

:)

Guest Pceasar

+10 too many people do things like this and it ends up hurting everyone else, because Dell trusts no more.