I can now tether to Ad-Hoc Wifi Networks - Like the one from my HTC Hero

Guest TylerDurdenK

Guest TylerDurdenK

I have just managed to connect and browse the internet using my HTC Hero, with the standard WiFi Tether App included in the Froyo ROM I am using (VillainRom 1.6.0)

This is not possible on the stock ROM or using Pauls Add-On.

What I have done is this:

Installed the ClockWorkMod as described in the thread pinned at the top of the forum.

Performed a Nandroid Backup (just in case!)

Flashed the wpa_adhoc-signed.zip in recovery. This file can be found on THIS THREAD

Sorted!

*EDIT*

Because of the issues people are having with ClockWorkMod (me included) I wanted to explore ways of installing this without the use of CWM. Thanks to carl rose and Simonta this is what I have now done.

1. Downloaded the wpa_adhoc-signed.zip from HERE

2. Unzipped it and found the wpa_supplicant file, and moved it to the route of the c: drive (not really necessary but makes it easier to find in next step).

3. Opened command prompt and changed the directory to C: by typing cd c:\

4. Check your Vega is connected as it should by typing adb devices.

5. If you see your device, type adb push wpa_supplicant /sytem/bin (if you get the "read only file system error type adb remount and then try again).

6. Now type adb shell chmod 4755 /sytem/bin/wpa_supplicant

That's it. Make sure your Wireless Tether app on your phone isn't using any encryption, and you should be able to connect with your network (this will now show a (*) prefix)

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest English Haze

Worked like a charm! Thanks very much for this very useful tip.

What with this and the excellent Klondike Solitaire update that I downloaded today that gives great full screen, large card format playing area this just about makes my Vega 100% perfect now!

Guest Bisto321
I have just managed to connect and browse the internet using my HTC Hero, with the standard WiFi Tether App included in the Froyo ROM I am using (VillainRom 1.6.0)

Installed the ClockWorkMod as described in the thread pinned at the top of the forum.

Flashed the wpa_adhoc-signed.zip in recovery. This file can be found on this thread - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=754961

Sorted!

good find that man. A lot easier than manual edits and script changes.

Guest TylerDurdenK

That's because the Galaxy S creates a proper "infrastructure mode" WiFi Hotspot, rather than an Ad-Hoc one.

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest DrSuave
That's because the Galaxy S creates a proper "infrastructure mode" WiFi Hotspot, rather than an Ad-Hoc one.

Must be the same for my desire as never had a problem

Guest truxntrax

Flashed the wpa_adhoc-signed.zip in recovery. This file can be found on this thread - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=754961

Sorted!

Ok, first steps with clockwirkmod... so, to be clear do i need to rename the file update.zip and put it on the root of my sdcard, boot ibto recovery mose then "select" that file?

Many thanks

John

Guest jasonic8
Ok, first steps with clockwirkmod... so, to be clear do i need to rename the file update.zip and put it on the root of my sdcard, boot ibto recovery mose then "select" that file?

Many thanks

John

I'd also be interested in getting it to use an ad-hoc connection alongside the R4 rom from the Kitchen (ad-hoc is being provided by G1 with 2.2). I think the first post confused me with mention of the Villian ROM - that's for your Hero right? I only need to know about the Advent Vega bit.

Edited by jasonic8

Guest TylerDurdenK

Many thanks

John

You could do that, but there is another option within the clockworkmod recovery to install any .zip file from the sdcard, so it doesn't really matter what it's called.

Guest TylerDurdenK
I'd also be interested in getting it to use an ad-hoc connection alongside the R4 rom from the Kitchen (ad-hoc is being provided by G1 with 2.2). I think the first post confused me with mention of the Villian ROM - that's for your Hero right? I only need to know about the Advent Vega bit.

Yeah, the Villian ROM is what I have installed on my phone, so you only need to adapt the Vega to see and connect to Ad-Hoc hot spots.

Guest truxntrax
You could do that, but there is another option within the clockworkmod recovery to install any .zip file from the sdcard, so it doesn't really matter what it's called.

Many thanks for the swift reply. I must be doing something wong then. Ive told clock work mod to make a backup, it asked me to confirm im on advent vega, it downloaded something, then gave me the suggested file name of current date and time. I clicked yes. However I dont know where this file is saved to?

Ive then booted into recovery mode and just see the little droid stood next to a box, no options!

Im sure im making an obvious error!

Thanks

John

Guest TylerDurdenK
Many thanks for the swift reply. I must be doing something wong then. Ive told clock work mod to make a backup, it asked me to confirm im on advent vega, it downloaded something, then gave me the suggested file name of current date and time. I clicked yes. However I dont know where this file is saved to?

Ive then booted into recovery mode and just see the little droid stood next to a box, no options!

Im sure im making an obvious error!

Thanks

John

By the sounds of it you haven't installed the clockworkmod properly. Have you tried to do it through ROM Manager?

Guest Pantaloonie

So, I've followed the instructions, installed the file from XDA using recovery, but my HD2 WiFi Router connection always fails to obtain an IP address. My laptop connects to the adhoc network ok.

Where have I gone wrong?

Edit - I rebooted my HD2 into Android and used the WiFi Tether app, and it works.

Must be a limitation of HTC's WiFi router on Windows Mobile.

Edited by Pantaloonie

Guest TeaTimeSoon

This is perfect.

It was driving me nuts - I could see my HTC Hero (acting as a wifi hotspot with aNetShare or WifiTether) but would it connect? No Sir!

Now the HTC connection appears with an asterisk before the SSID and bingo - all connecting perfectly. Browsing in the car etc now is a reality.

Thanks for this perfect solution

J

This is perfect.

This only works for me using NO encryption.

Joiku Hot Spot on the N8 only supports Ad-Hoc connections and this works with the Vega but without any security. As soon as I enable encryption Vega just sits trying to obtain an IP address.

Is this what other people are finding?

I've heard that some network providers charge extra if you use a tethered device through the phone. Is this true and how would they know anyway?

I guess if you downloaded a huge amount of data that would set some sort of alarm then they could inspect your browser user agent string to see if the requests were from a phone or a desktop but I don''t see it happening unless you started bit torrenting movies etc.

Anyway unlimited mobile internet is fairly rare now days so you would end up paying a fortune, which the operators would love anyway.