I can now tether to Ad-Hoc Wifi Networks - Like the one from my HTC Hero

Guest TylerDurdenK

Guest carl rose
Daf

Were you able to use security? WEP? when tethering the Vega?

With or without security it does not work. I have tried it on my iPhone 4 and my wifes 3GS and exactly the same, sees the network but does not connect.

Guest Dirk Weggeman

how weird...

on my POV Mobii, when i flash to vega and pauls addon i cannot get thetering to work, not with dhcp, or a static ip adres (it does get an ip, but no data is being sent)...

when i flash with the official 1.07 stock rom from POV, i can theter using a static ip adress without use of this script...

just for that i'm sticking with te POV rom for now...

Edited by Dirk Weggeman

Guest matthijskox

Hi, i tried the mod but it doesn't work, worse, my wifi doesn't work altogether anymore and i forgot to backup teh original wpa_supplicant file. Can someone please post the orgininal wpa_supplicant file from the advent 1.06.5 firmware.

Guest simonta
Hi, i tried the mod but it doesn't work, worse, my wifi doesn't work altogether anymore and i forgot to backup teh original wpa_supplicant file. Can someone please post the orgininal wpa_supplicant file from the advent 1.06.5 firmware.

Unzip the Vega update. Then unzip system.img. You will then have every file you might need.

However, you didn't say how you updated. If manually did you remember to set the permissions?

Guest simonta
Hi,

I don't use clockworkmod (at least not yet).

Could I apply this update "manually", for example using the methods described by simonta here?

Cheers.

Hi. Yep, that will work. Use the same steps to replace wpa_supplicant in /system/bin and change the permissions to 0755.

Guest wi-fli
Hi. Yep, that will work. Use the same steps to replace wpa_supplicant in /system/bin and change the permissions to 0755.

Thanks simonta, I'll give that a go

:-)

Guest matthijskox

Great, it finally works! I used the wpa_supplicant.zip file from the first post on the XDA forum, unzipped it, remounted, pushed the wpa_supplicant file to /system/bin and chmodded it!

Thanks!

Edited by matthijskox

Guest wi-fli
Good to hear - how about you Wi-fli? Up and running?

Yes thanks simonta,

Installed the update this morning using adb, it works like a charm.

I can switch between ad-hoc and infrastructure wifi at will, and tether to my phone when out and about.

Brilliant!

Thanks to all.

Guest carl rose
Great, it finally works! I used the wpa_supplicant.zip file from the first post on the XDA forum, unzipped it, remounted, pushed the wpa_supplicant file to /system/bin and chmodded it!

Thanks!

I don't understand something here. You pushed the wpa_supplicant via adb? Is it possible to do that? I don't want to flash the clockworkmod, is it possible to make a backup of the original wpa_supplicant and push this one via adb then chmod it? I believe chmod is to change premissions to 0755? Is this right? Can anyone provide me with a small tut with the steps needed to get this done please?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I would like to do this without having to flash the clockwork mod, if it is not possible I better wait untill it's more stable.

Guest simonta
I don't understand something here. You pushed the wpa_supplicant via adb? Is it possible to do that? I don't want to flash the clockworkmod, is it possible to make a backup of the original wpa_supplicant and push this one via adb then chmod it? I believe chmod is to change premissions to 0755? Is this right? Can anyone provide me with a small tut with the steps needed to get this done please?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I would like to do this without having to flash the clockwork mod, if it is not possible I better wait untill it's more stable.

"Can anyone provide a tut" - you just did :unsure:

Copy existing

push new one

Chmod

Reboot

Guest carl rose
"Can anyone provide a tut" - you just did :unsure:

Copy existing

push new one

Chmod

Reboot

Brilliant, thank you so much. all works but on my iphone 4 mywi i can only do it without encryption. Does it work with encryption as well?

Guest newbe5

I would just like to say a huge thankyou for this! Tethered perfectly on my HTC Hero now :unsure: doesn't seem to work with Encryption turned on, but I can use the access list for security!

Guest matthijskox
I would just like to say a huge thankyou for this! Tethered perfectly on my HTC Hero now :unsure: doesn't seem to work with Encryption turned on, but I can use the access list for security!

Great! What do you mean by access list? I would like to use it too!

Guest carl rose

I would like to know this as well. I wonder if I can do the same with my iphone mywi

Guest Sanddancer75

I couldn't connect to my Orange San Francisco with Barnacle, but I've just tried Wireless Tether & it works great. It apparently lets you connect over bluetooth too, but the wifi option worked fine for me.

Guest newbe5

I have a rooted Hero, so I am using the app "WiFi Tether for Root Users". This app has an access list, so when something connect to your phone, you have to approve it first, and the MAC address for that device is stored ni the approved access list.

It's to stop random people connecting to your un-secured WiFi and using it :D Since I can't seem to get the WEP security working properly in a way that will allow my Vega to connect.

Guest carl rose
I have a rooted Hero, so I am using the app "WiFi Tether for Root Users". This app has an access list, so when something connect to your phone, you have to approve it first, and the MAC address for that device is stored ni the approved access list.

It's to stop random people connecting to your un-secured WiFi and using it :D Since I can't seem to get the WEP security working properly in a way that will allow my Vega to connect.

I see, no chance of that for me then. :P

Guest mclanecxantia

hi. i have a htc hd2 (windows booted) and use the windows mobile-hotspot software on it.

that worked e.g. for my netbook to connect.

i want to connect to my advent vega with this hotspot.

i think this thread is about the how-to-do it.

i had installed pauls customer roms.

can somebody explain to me what i have to do to get mobile-hotspot working

with my HTC HD2 ?

would be nice because this would help me to connect internet with my

advent vega when i am on a journey.

Guest simonta
hi. i have a htc hd2 (windows booted) and use the windows mobile-hotspot software on it.

that worked e.g. for my netbook to connect.

i want to connect to my advent vega with this hotspot.

i think this thread is about the how-to-do it.

i had installed pauls customer roms.

can somebody explain to me what i have to do to get mobile-hotspot working

with my HTC HD2 ?

would be nice because this would help me to connect internet with my

advent vega when i am on a journey.

Hi, and welcome.

You're right, this thread is about how to do it. If you read it, you will find the answers to all of your questions.

Cheers

Guest mclanecxantia
Hi, and welcome.

You're right, this thread is about how to do it. If you read it, you will find the answers to all of your questions.

Cheers

you are absolutely right. i tried to do so. but there were things that were somehow complicate for me.

you have to imagine that i am not a native english speaking person. the second thing is that i am not a programmer or techno-freak. and there were many technical things about Android Bridge and commands etc. i did not understand technically. these 2 points, language and technical issues make it difficult to me.

i will give it another try.

at least i was succesful to get pauls customer rom running, so maybe i will also be capable to

understand how to make the wifi working.