I can now tether to Ad-Hoc Wifi Networks - Like the one from my HTC Hero

Guest TylerDurdenK

Guest mclanecxantia

found a solution for my problem.

my vega was not capable to connect to my HTC HD2 hotspot software,

but it was capable to connect to my Palm Pre hotspot software.

so i can now use the advent vega on journeys with internet by using

my palm pre as provider for it.

just wanted to let you know.

i can only guess that the hotspot option is done different in both phones.

maybe the HTC HD2 windows version uses ad hoc method, while

the palm pre software hotspot uses a method that is doing real Wifi-Hotspot.

Edited by mclanecxantia

Guest TylerDurdenK

Just added a tutorial for applying this patch without the use of ClockWorkMod.

Check the first post.

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest expat2000

The thread linked to to get the wpa_adhoc-signed.zip file works but when you try to download it asks for login details to the forum.

Any suggestions where else I could get hold of the zip file.

Many thanks

Stuart

Guest ricosub
Just added a tutorial for applying this patch without the use of ClockWorkMod.

Check the first post.

thank you great job. I did everything can use adb command see my vega in the windows panel with adb interface (vega in debug mode) but when Itype adb devices it is not on the list any idea?

vega must be in recovery mode? just did it I can see the usb debug in the windows control panel when the vega is in recovery but still no way to see it when I type adb devices

thank you

Edited by ricosub

Guest simonta
thank you great job. I did everything can use adb command see my vega in the windows panel with adb interface (vega in debug mode) but when Itype adb devices it is not on the list any idea?

vega must be in recovery mode? just did it I can see the usb debug in the windows control panel when the vega is in recovery but still no way to see it when I type adb devices

thank you

Vega must NOT be in recovery mode. Goto Settings->Applications->Development->USB Debugging. Then make sure the ADB drivers provided in Paul's pack are loaded. Plenty of instructions on this in other threads.

Cheers

Guest worto03

Hi, wow - great work - I was too scared to use the clockwork mod but really wanted to be able to tether to my nokia e51!

I'm in debugging mode

I see my device in the list of adb devices

I got the read only message so did the remount which cured that but now I get

failed to copy 'wpa_supplicant' to '/system/bin/wpa_supplicant': Out of memory

Can anyone help I have 58mb free space internally and 9gb free space on the SD card?

Thanks,

worto.

This is fantastic!

I can now use my Vega while out and about via Mywi on the iPhone.

One thing that got me a little stuck that might help others, is that when in the command prompt, the instructions tell you to type "adb devices". When I did this I got an error saying adb wasn't a recognised this and that or something.

I had to cd the directory where pauls ROM was and type "adb-windows devices"

Anyway, thanks for this - I spend a lot of time sat in car parks while the wife goes shopping so this is almost as important as Pauls ROM.

One last thing, if you use Mywi on the iPhone, it doesn't APPEAR to class it as proper tethering. If you check usage in iPhones settings any up/download goes out of your data allowance instead of our tether allowance. Hopefully when my bill comes I won't be charges extra for using tethering. Time will tell on that.

Guest trevor432990

Thanks everyone for the contributions in this thread which makes for interesting reading. I am near the point of changing from my old iPhone 2g phone and would like to buy a new one to use tethering on my Vega and was wondering in your opinion :-

1. which Android phone from your experience easily facilitates tethering, 3G, GPS, Google maps integration ?
  2. which 3G network carrier provides best deal for data traffic (and won't charge extra for tethering)?

Thanks in advance ;)

Guest simonta
Thanks everyone for the contributions in this thread which makes for interesting reading. I am near the point of changing from my old iPhone 2g phone and would like to buy a new one to use tethering on my Vega and was wondering in your opinion :-
  1. which Android phone from your experience easily facilitates tethering, 3G, GPS, Google maps integration ?
  2. which 3G network carrier provides best deal for data traffic (and won't charge extra for tethering)?
Thanks in advance ;)

HTC Desire and Desire HD both create "proper" WAPs - not ad hoc. I assume that other HTC devices do too but can't check. The Desires really are awesome phones. I also use Bluetooth GPS so I get the full mobile experience on my Vega. Only thing I miss really is a compass.

Regarding tethering, using the hotspot, there is no way for your carrier to know. Assuming it's not against the Ts&Cs, you've got no problem.

Guest trevor432990
HTC Desire and Desire HD both create "proper" WAPs - not ad hoc. I assume that other HTC devices do too but can't check. The Desires really are awesome phones. I also use Bluetooth GPS so I get the full mobile experience on my Vega. Only thing I miss really is a compass.

Regarding tethering, using the hotspot, there is no way for your carrier to know. Assuming it's not against the Ts&Cs, you've got no problem.

Thanks for the recommendation Simon. When you say you use Bluetooth GPS is that the app? Presumably the HTC devices you mentioned provide the GPS data right?

P.S. Isn't there a compass app on the Marketplace you could use with your set-up or was that a pun ? ;)

Edited by trevor432990

Guest simonta
Thanks for the recommendation Simon. When you say you use Bluetooth GPS is that the app? Presumably the HTC devices you mentioned provide the GPS data right?

P.S. Isn't there a compass app on the Marketplace you could use with your set-up or was that a pun ? ;)

There are a few Bluetooth GPS apps around and some threads here discussing them. In essence, the Desire acts as a Bluetooth GPS device for the Vega.

To use the compass, the device must have a magnetometer built in which the Vega doesn't. In theory, it's possible to also Bluetooth the compass but I haven't got the time to write an app for that and I don't miss it that much :) Only for Google Skymap really.

Guest worto03
Hi, wow - great work - I was too scared to use the clockwork mod but really wanted to be able to tether to my nokia e51!

I'm in debugging mode

I see my device in the list of adb devices

I got the read only message so did the remount which cured that but now I get

failed to copy 'wpa_supplicant' to '/system/bin/wpa_supplicant': Out of memory

Can anyone help I have 58mb free space internally and 9gb free space on the SD card?

Thanks,

worto.

Now instead of Out of memory I'm getting

failed to copy 'wpa_supplicant' to '/system/bin/wpa_supplicant': No space left on device

My wi-fi also won't connect to any network any more either ;) Anyone got any ideas - I seem to have broken it :)

edit - should there be a file called wpa_supplicant already in the system/bin dir on the tablet? I don't seem to have one.

Edited by worto03

Guest trevor432990
Now instead of Out of memory I'm getting

My wi-fi also won't connect to any network any more either ;) Anyone got any ideas - I seem to have broken it :)

edit - should there be a file called wpa_supplicant already in the system/bin dir on the tablet? I don't seem to have one.

What space available does it show on SD & Internal when you check it?

Guest worto03
What space available does it show on SD & Internal when you check it?

thanks for replying - it's showing

9.63gb available space on the SD card

75.34MB available space internal storage space

Guest trevor432990
thanks for replying - it's showing

9.63gb available space on the SD card

75.34MB available space internal storage space

Hmm sorry cannot really help you because I haven't done this myself yet. Hopefully someone who has will chip in with some suggestions soon. ;)

Guest worto03
Hmm sorry cannot really help you because I haven't done this myself yet. Hopefully someone who has will chip in with some suggestions soon. ;)

lol - thanks anyway, I may end up reflashing it - might well be the excuse I needed to go add free and bake up something decent up in the kitchen. I'm on r4 still at the moment.

Shame though I'm gonna loose all of my apps and settings :)

Cheers,

worto.

Guest worto03
lol - thanks anyway, I may end up reflashing it - might well be the excuse I needed to go add free and bake up something decent up in the kitchen. I'm on r4 still at the moment.

Shame though I'm gonna loose all of my apps and settings ;)

Cheers,

worto.

Sorry for the double post but just in case anyone gets the same problem I had - it's not a very pretty fix but flashing to 1.06.95 from myadventvega.co.uk then sticking the default r6 from modaco fixed my wi-fi not connecting to anything problem, then I retried the tutorial for this on page 1 and it worked perfectly first time with my nokia E51!

Shame really I was almost getting to the point of justifying an upgrade to the HTC Desire now I'll be stuck with the E51 for a while longer.

Thanks very much,

worto.

1st Post,

First of all, I love my Vega and althouh I dont have any experience with Android/Linux this has been an amazing place to learn and I have read almost every post on these forums. My Vega experience has been enhanced ten fold because of the knowledge and willingness to share on this forum, hopefully soon I will be in a position to help others, albeit in a small way.

Anyway, back on topic..

I have followed the instructions in Post #1 to try and connect ad-hoc to my windows mobile, without success. Any help would be appreciated, I have attached the CMD log, I just can't see what I'm missing.

Regards

N3ls0n

post-814689-1295555355_thumb.jpg

Guest worto03
1st Post,

First of all, I love my Vega and althouh I dont have any experience with Android/Linux this has been an amazing place to learn and I have read almost every post on these forums. My Vega experience has been enhanced ten fold because of the knowledge and willingness to share on this forum, hopefully soon I will be in a position to help others, albeit in a small way.

Anyway, back on topic..

I have followed the instructions in Post #1 to try and connect ad-hoc to my windows mobile, without success. Any help would be appreciated, I have attached the CMD log, I just can't see what I'm missing.

Regards

N3ls0n

post-814689-1295555355_thumb.jpg

Hia,

Looks like your missing a space in your command line

wpa_supplicant is the file you want to push

while

/system/bin is the directory you want to push it to

so your command line should look roughly like this (there is a space between the 't' and the '/')

adb push wpa_supplicant /system/bin

The only problems I had was I had to change to the directory with abd in because it doesn't seem to have added it to my path and I left the new wpa_supplicant file on my c:\ so mine looked like this

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb push c:\wpa_supplicant /system/bin

hope that helps,

worto.

Edited by worto03

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me! I'm trying to push this to my Vega using adb. I'm brand new to all this (had my Vega for 3 days) so please have a little patience with me, hehe. I've installed the android sdk etc, adb is working fine. USB debugging is enabled, device is detected using 'adb devices'. When using 'adb push wpa_supplicant /system/bin' I get the message 'cannot stat 'wpa_supplicant': No such file or directory. The system folder is in the root of my C:\ drive and I'm definitely in that directory. I'm running the latest firmware for my Vega with Paul's custom ROM and Performance Pack r6.

Please somebody help me! Have no idea what I'm missing here. Thanks in Advance!

Alex

Guest rvdgeer
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me! I'm trying to push this to my Vega using adb. I'm brand new to all this (had my Vega for 3 days) so please have a little patience with me, hehe. I've installed the android sdk etc, adb is working fine. USB debugging is enabled, device is detected using 'adb devices'. When using 'adb push wpa_supplicant /system/bin' I get the message 'cannot stat 'wpa_supplicant': No such file or directory. The system folder is in the root of my C:\ drive and I'm definitely in that directory. I'm running the latest firmware for my Vega with Paul's custom ROM and Performance Pack r6.

Please somebody help me! Have no idea what I'm missing here. Thanks in Advance!

Alex

I believe you should always use relative paths...

This means you should use: adb push ./wpa_supplicant /system/bin

Not 100% sure, but please give it a try!

I believe you should always use relative paths...

This means you should use: adb push ./wpa_supplicant /system/bin

Not 100% sure, but please give it a try!

Thanks for the quick reply!

No such luck, I've attached a screenshot of the command prompt. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Alex

EDIT: Ok I've tried editing the syntax a little which got somewhere but now I get the Read Only file system error. I've attempted to use 'adb remount' which succeeded but I get the exact same error again when attempting the command a second time. I've attached another screenshot.

post-831221-1296511748_thumb.jpg

post-831221-1296518248_thumb.jpg

Edited by AJace