I can now tether to Ad-Hoc Wifi Networks - Like the one from my HTC Hero

Guest TylerDurdenK

Guest simonta
Can someone please send me the adhoc hack via email please.

[email protected]

I need to post 10 times on the xda site and i really cant wait that long.

Thanks

Oh dear oh dear. Email in plain text on a BB? Expect your spam levels to increase. You might want to edit it out before the spiders find it.

I know I'm probably missing the point but what's wrong with the link in the OP?

Guest Auzdigger

Hi all

I am really struggling here - just flashed R8 but when I do the non clockwork approach, I type "adb devices" in the command prompt and it tells me that this isn't a correct command. I know the computer recognises my vega as when I debug and connect it to my pc it comes up in the device manager...I have checked elsewhere in the forum but still don't see where I am going wrong...

Guest simonta
Hi all

I am really struggling here - just flashed R8 but when I do the non clockwork approach, I type "adb devices" in the command prompt and it tells me that this isn't a correct command. I know the computer recognises my vega as when I debug and connect it to my pc it comes up in the device manager...I have checked elsewhere in the forum but still don't see where I am going wrong...

this isn't a correct command

Please reply with the exact message.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Nick1964
I have just managed to connect and browse the internet using my HTC Hero, with the standard WiFi Tether App included in the Froyo ROM I am using (VillainRom 1.6.0)

This is not possible on the stock ROM or using Pauls Add-On.

What I have done is this:

Installed the ClockWorkMod as described in the thread pinned at the top of the forum.

Performed a Nandroid Backup (just in case!)

Flashed the wpa_adhoc-signed.zip in recovery. This file can be found on THIS THREAD

Sorted!

*EDIT*

Because of the issues people are having with ClockWorkMod (me included) I wanted to explore ways of installing this without the use of CWM. Thanks to carl rose and Simonta this is what I have now done.

1. Downloaded the wpa_adhoc-signed.zip from HERE

2. Unzipped it and found the wpa_supplicant file, and moved it to the route of the c: drive (not really necessary but makes it easier to find in next step).

3. Opened command prompt and changed the directory to C: by typing cd c:\

4. Check your Vega is connected as it should by typing adb devices.

5. If you see your device, type adb push wpa_supplicant /sytem/bin (if you get the "read only file system error type adb remount and then try again).

6. Now type adb shell chmod 4755 /sytem/bin/wpa_supplicant

That's it. Make sure your Wireless Tether app on your phone isn't using any encryption, and you should be able to connect with your network (this will now show a (*) prefix)

And that is for me as newbie a big problem.

I found the script file and tool of the little chinese man switching between 2 files... after that My whole wifi connections is gone.

Had to put back the original advent 1.09 rom and after that flashed with the V8 of the modaco rom.

English is not my native language and I am dislectic.

The clockmod, I put the divice in recovery mode with the little app, it shows the little android sitting next to a box, doing nothing.

Then I find this topic.

step 1: no problem.

step 2: no problem.

step 3: how to open a command prompt ? (this confused me, I was thinking about opening a command prompt on the Vega...)

step 4 - 6 cannot try this because I am stuck by stap 3,

Please can anyone help me a bit ?

Edited by Nick1964

Guest Nick1964

Ok, I needed something more... Installed the Java developers kit.

Installed the SDK and AVD manager.

Plugged in the advent vega.

Activated it in the right usb mode.

Computer says ding-dong, and the usb is connected

But when I type in adb devices in the command prompt it says List of devices: and then nothing..., running on win 7 here.

Edited by Nick1964

Guest Nick1964

Figured it out, there was a mistake in the first topic:

5. If you see your device, type adb push wpa_supplicant /sytem/bin (if you get the "read only file system error type adb remount and then try again).

6. Now type adb shell chmod 4755 /sytem/bin/wpa_supplicant

Must be:

5. If you see your device, type adb push wpa_supplicant /system/bin (if you get the "read only file system error type adb remount and then try again).

6. Now type adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant

• 4 years later...
Guest HTC.G1 (Kirk)

Hi, hope I'm not intruding...   I was hoping someone could help me...  I have a HTC Dream G1, but I can't find the WiFi option in the Wireless settings menu.  Please help!  Any assistance you could offer would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks. smile.gif

Edited by HTC.G1 (Kirk)