O2 just sent me unlock code for my Dell Streak!

Guest twe

UK law says they have to give you an unlock code if you request it, but that request has to be in writing.

That is interesting, I tried to research the position in law (see above) and didn't very far.

So for all of you wasting your time talking to support people who don't know anything at all

Mostly I find that calls to support lines are a waste of time. I am still disappointed at being stonewalled by both O2 and Dell. A poor show really.

they can give you the run around for as long as they want to keep you chained to their network

What you say makes sense but it still leaves a bad taste, I resent being fobbed off by robbing bastards.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest grigoris

My first e-mail requesting the code was on Dec. 15 .

I got my unlock code around Jan. 20 .

Till that time I was sending approx. an e-mail every 4-5 days and I got about 6-7 negative answers.

Most of my e-mails were addressed to Sagar and all of his responses said it may take some time as they are having problms with Dell.

My opinion , just keep trying.

Like I said, emailing is a waste of time.

Use the online form already and unlock the phone.

It absolutely is.

I just got a replacement Streak under warranty on Friday. Using the online form I submitted a request for an Unlock code and I got a response back within two hours.

The initially said they wouldn't be able to do it as the IMEI didn't match the phone number (due to it being a replacement Streak). I emailed them back with the old IMEI and got a response by email on Saturday with the Unlock code which worked a treat.

Guest kalakuta

Online form certainly worked for me - I have a data only contract, but want to use my vodafone SIM from time to time when I don't want to carry both the Streak and a phone. Completed the online form on Friday 18th Feb, received the unlocking code on Tuesday 22nd. Happy days.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest t2000s
Filled in the online form on the off-chance, yesterday. Unlock code sent today!

Shame I still have another 14 months left on my O2 contract...

Bought a Streak off ebay, went to the Unlock page on this thread and did the chat with the O2 representative. A very helpful chap asked for my details, IMEI code, etc, didn't take my O2 mobile number and it was unlocked inside of an hour.

That seems to be the quickest method.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest drtalar

What is needed to unlock Streak (pay monthly):

- O2 mobile number

- Full name

- 2nd and 3rd character of the security password or last bill date and last bill amount.

It takes about 5 days.

Has anyone recently unlocked a second-hand Streak without the help of the person who has originally bought the phone?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest haynesteve
What is needed to unlock Streak (pay monthly):

- O2 mobile number

- Full name

- 2nd and 3rd character of the security password or last bill date and last bill amount.

It takes about 5 days.

Has anyone recently unlocked a second-hand Streak without the help of the person who has originally bought the phone?

Had Streak about 10 months. Filled the form in, sent off - got the code within 4 hours (and on a sunday) !