[OLED+TFT] 09/Feb r12: MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM download + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Phone_newbie

I have just upgraded my (rooted and de-oranged to 2.1 Gen 1) San Francisco to Paul's R12 ROM. It had previously been running on giffgaff for 6 months with no problems. After the upgrade, everything seemed to be working OK (I think) EXCEPT for messaging. I used the giffgaffAPN app to set up the correct APN, and tried various options to get it to work, but the built-in messaging app always crashed with a "force close" report.

On advice from the giffgaff forum, I tried two other messaging apps, handcent and GO SMS PRO, but still no joy. So I then wiped the R12 ROM and downloaded it again from the kitchen and reinstalled it. This time the basic android messaging app still did not work at all, but handcent did but only for one of the three correspondents of the messages that I tried. The same applies to GO SMS PRO. For other messagees, the android messaging system crashes "force close" as before.

This is all a bit frustrating and fruitlessly time-consuming. Has anyone else had the same problem, or does anyone know the solution? I have been going round in circles and getting nowhere!

Edited by Phone_newbie

Excellent stuff - thank you very much.

Nearly working as to how I want it.

1 question - the dialler/contacts phone icon button on the home screen at the bottom does not "connect" and just flashes when pressed, so nothing open or happens after pressing, anyway I can fix the broken link? The app link works ok from within the apps folder, so can I edit or delete the old icon and put in a new one linking to the one inside the apps folder?

I've googled & searched all day, my eyes are bleeding from reading :-D

Thanks

I had this problem too, but I honestly just rebooted and all was ok

And by now, im sure you have already done that

Guest aermua

good morning all

i just updated to this rom from 2.1, couple of questions:

i,m on virgin network, on the this rom, the network losses all the bars and then come back after a little while, sometime i just lock the screen and unlock and that seems to solve it, has anyone experienced these random network drops?

i have setup my live account, now the phone notifies me all emails even the ones that go into junk, the old rom only notified me when it goes in the in-box, is there a setting i have forgotten about here?

also last not least the battery seems to charge quickly and drains quickly, is that normal as its early days?

i did wip battery stats, and pretty much did the nornal nandroid procedures when you install the new rom

thanks all

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deksman2

I think Modaco's r12 ROM is more heavy on the battery for some reason.

Not sure what it is.

Under minimal use, I was able to get roughly 2 days on it.

Minimal use under some other ROM (such as Gingerbread Blue v5) with minimal use gets me 4 days (though could be stretched to 5 I think).

On the bright side though, Modaco r12 ROM seems to be highly optimized in terms of FPS in UI/menu scrolling, zooming, pinching, etc.

Either they found a way to allow the gpu to handle those things, or the ROM itself was highly optimized to run this way on the cpu as is (still gpu acceleration would have been worlds better).

This ROM is now available in the online kitchen

I've just paid to get the "online kitchens downloads" enabled ... but whatever I trie , and werever I search... I end with this question ....

WHERE ON EARTH is the kitchen ??????

If it's only a future to "modify" some (only a few) roms here , than it is imo useless. ... but I hope I'm wrong :D

Please tell me where ANYBODY can find the kitchens , because I think I've tried EVERY link on the modaco website , and no kitchen found.

Greetings , Kuoi

Guest juniperz

I've just paid to get the "online kitchens downloads" enabled ... but whatever I trie , and werever I search... I end with this question ....

WHERE ON EARTH is the kitchen ??????

If it's only a future to "modify" some (only a few) roms here , than it is imo useless. ... but I hope I'm wrong :D

Please tell me where ANYBODY can find the kitchens , because I think I've tried EVERY link on the modaco website , and no kitchen found.

Greetings , Kuoi

It is in Post #2 on Page 1 of this thread.

It is in Post #2 on Page 1 of this thread.

So , like I feared ... it is only a "future" to modify the rom a bit.

Surtenly NOT what I thought to have for my money , and NOT what I need.

I feel ripped :angry:

Guest kersey

Hi, just flashed my brothers San Fran with this rom and am very impressed but how do i uninstall or disable McAfee Wave Secure from booting up each time.

Titanium won't allow it to be uninstalled.

Am help is appreciated

Guest hecatae

So , like I feared ... it is only a "future" to modify the rom a bit.

Surtenly NOT what I thought to have for my money , and NOT what I need.

I feel ripped :angry:

you have paid to be ad free, so instead of having to wait for adverts to load, the forum is faster.

Guest k0zmic

Hi, just flashed my brothers San Fran with this rom and am very impressed but how do i uninstall or disable McAfee Wave Secure from booting up each time.

Titanium won't allow it to be uninstalled.

Am help is appreciated

If it's ticked as a device Admin under Location & Security untick that, then try to remove with Titanium Backup.

Guest unvermind

Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could go from "r12" to "r12 with A2SD" without wiping.

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by unvermind

Guest k0zmic

Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could go from "r12" to "r12 with A2SD" without wiping.

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance :)

That should be okay, just to be safe wipe Cache/Dalvik Cache in Recovery.

Guest unvermind

That should be okay, just to be safe wipe Cache/Dalvik Cache in Recovery.

Wiped only Davlik Cache and...

it works like a charm!!

Took some time to rearrange the apps when booting up, though.

So don't worry when they seem to be broken.

Thanks a lot for encouraging me, k0zmic!

Edited by unvermind

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stan464

Hi, Sorry if im thread Hi-jacking, but ive recentley installed clockwork and Rom Manager, and for some reason, i still cannot make a full rom back-up either says i dont have a custom recovery installed (when i have) or it shows me a blank page

Im new to Android, but im a very quick learner when it comes to this sorta stuff. So it's not my ability to not being able to follow instructions.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Guest deksman2

I'd rather see the Gingerbread edition from Modaco.

If the speed inside the UI/2D related aspects would be the same if not better (which definitely seems like it was GPU accelerated in r12), along with an optimized battery life, then I'd be all for it.

Alas, I don't think that will happen.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tsddave

Hi Paul..I've been using your rom for 3 weeks.. and now i got a boot loop.I've wiped cache,data.. no effect. Can you help?

Hahah, I think this was asked for :)

Personally I think its wrong the expectations that have been put on developers posting their hard work here.

Just because someone kindly shares a rom that doesn't mean they also want to give full support also. Surely the developers role here is what they decide they would like to give for example to see the feedback they get on actual faults and "if they wish to" fix them.

Lets face it 99% of the issues people post about can be advised by members of the community and are nothing to do with a fault in the actual rom itself. Surely this is what an open forum is about.

Even so called professional companies have open forums like this one where members of the community can assist each other.

Obviously I agree that a forum should also be friendly, after all otherwise it is no longer a pleasure.

I feel that things that spoil the forum for the developers should also be looked at.

Constantly begging the developer for support, the asking of questions that have been asked many many times being just two things.

Anyone who comes to this forum to share his or her work should be treated with respect by its members and the forum moderators themselves.

I feel that in wbaws case alot of the annoyances he experienced should of been addressed by the moderators here way before it snowballed and got to the stage where he was very fed up.

This case is hardly a shining advert inspiring future developers to share.

I for one really enjoy the existence of this forum and support it by paying a yearly fee.I really hope it doesn't get further spoilt by examples like this in the future.

The thing is, Paul hasn't given any support at all for this rom for well over 6 months, it was patchy before he started totally ignoring this thread. I answered every question asked to me about my rom in under 24hours, except one question that wasn't about my rom at all, his battery had fallen out. I was somehow supposed to guess. Because of that I get forum admins telling lies about how I wont support my rom, insulting me more & closing my threads.

So they're nothing but hypocrites.

I paid £30 for a year too, I've just had a few months before I was forced out.

Edited by wbaw

Guest tsddave

The thing is, Paul hasn't given any support at all for this rom for well over 6 months, it was patchy before he started totally ignoring this thread. I answered every question asked to me about my rom in under 24hours, except one question that wasn't about my rom at all, his battery had fallen out. I was somehow supposed to guess. Because of that I get forum admins telling lies about how I wont support my rom, insulting me more & closing my threads.

So they're nothing but hypocrites.

I paid £30 for a year too, I've just had a few months before I was forced out.

Your not wrong wbaw and anyone who looked at this thread (and yours of course ) would see it also.

Im sorry to hear that you got forced out, lets face it nobody made a better rom for the blade than you and I think thats part of the issue you had. Your rom brought in alot of users and naturally the more people using it means more chance for users needing to be wet nursed.In truth the forum should of been more supportive of you in dealing with abusive people and making it clear to users that they should not hassle developers for answers privately or within the forum.

• 3 months later...

Heya!

Please take this the right way, this is nothing against the brilliant work you guys do :D

I've had this mod on my Blade for a while now (could tell you exactly how long but can't be arsed to look on my orange account) but i've been having some problems with my phone and want to take it back to store. I think however, they'll moan when they see I've put a custom ROM on it so my question is this:

How do I take this mod off?

is it as simple as taking it back to factory settings with something like this?

Thanks in advance

Guest tsddave

Heya!

Please take this the right way, this is nothing against the brilliant work you guys do :D

I've had this mod on my Blade for a while now (could tell you exactly how long but can't be arsed to look on my orange account) but i've been having some problems with my phone and want to take it back to store. I think however, they'll moan when they see I've put a custom ROM on it so my question is this:

How do I take this mod off?

is it as simple as taking it back to factory settings with something like this?

Thanks in advance

Yes! :)