[ROM] [eclair] Finnish Fillyjonk RLS5 [2011-01-05]

Guest kallt_kaffe

The "proximity" and "light intensity" sensors will not be work at the same time :)

but I use 2.2 alpha3 and orange stock rom the proximity is work fine. I think this is a compatible problem.

Guest paraselene
but I use 2.2 alpha3 and orange stock rom the proximity is work fine. I think this is a compatible problem.

It works fine for me in FF RLS2 for the testing mode and during phone call "most of the time". Well, there may be some errors when you try to move over and away very quick.

Guest JK-FINN
I'm using finnish Blade with stock software. Here's what I got in the sensor list:

AK8973 Compass: 20.0 mA by Asahi Kasei Corp.

AK8973 Compass Raw: 20.0 mA by Asahi Kasei Corp.

Lis302dl: 20.0 mA by Intersil Corp.

AK8973 Magnetic Field: 20.0 mA by Asahi Kasei Corp.

Compass doesn't work right with stock software either. It's 90 degrees off all the time. For example it displays west when facing north. Also with Google Maps street view compass mode left and right have changed places. When I turn phone to left, display turns to right. I wonder if this kind of problems could be fixed somehow in these custom roms?

I add the remaining system info from Finnish Saunalahti Blade:

Ambient Light: 20.0 mA by Taos Corp.

proximity: 20.0 mA by Taos Corp.

It works fine for me in FF RLS2 for the testing mode and during phone call "most of the time". Well, there may be some errors when you try to move over and away very quick.

I test this is many many time. and very very careful。but it work is not perfect...:)

Guest relentlessforce

Installed this on my TFT (grey), no issues yet with making a call (screen goes black but if I touch it then everything reappears).

I have a couple of questions though, perhaps more android related (this is my first droid phone)

1) On the home screen I have two "Contacts" widgets (is that what they are called?!), how do I get rid of one of these? I can't for the life of me find anything to tell me how!

2) I've got all the apps that are "preinstalled" with this ROM, mainly because I haven't used android before and wanted to check them all out. If I want to uninstall some, how do I do this? There is no "uninstall" button like there are on downloaded apps. Surely I haven't got to remove them from the ROM and reflash?

Very impressed though, super quick, very stable. Compass works fine for me (UK)

Edited by relentlessforce

Guest markusj

1, long tap, and pull them into the appearing dumpster

2, Reflashing it isn't a big thing, you will lose nothing but those apps. All settings, cache, etc. remain intact.

Installed this on my TFT (grey), no issues yet with making a call (screen goes black but if I touch it then everything reappears).

I have a couple of questions though, perhaps more android related (this is my first droid phone)

1) On the home screen I have two "Contacts" widgets, how do I get rid of one of these? I can't for the life of me find anything to tell me how!

2) I've got all the apps that are "preinstalled" with this ROM, mainly because I haven't used android before and wanted to check them all out. If I want to uninstall some, how do I do this? There is no "uninstall" button like there are on downloaded apps. Surely I haven't got to remove them from the ROM and reflash?

Guest Len Ash

1) On the home screen I have two "Contacts" widgets (is that what they are called?!), how do I get rid of one of these? I can't for the life of me find anything to tell me how!

Yep - there are a 2 contact widgets for some bizarre reason..... took me a while to figure out how to get rid of one. Same with the Hungarian based ROMs... Choose any one, press on it until a dustbin/trash can appears centre bottom, and drag the widget to the bin... done. Also shame about one or two odd customisations on this, but generally a good ROM.

Edited by Len Ash

Guest Len Ash
Damn that was quick, thanks markus/lance

Flashing took AGES the first time, I didn't remove any apps from the app folder, was that a mistake?!

No - you can uninstall apps from now on if you find them of no use... as you get accustomed to the ROM/Android process, you will be able to take a FAT ROM and delete/add what you like at will prior to a flash.

Guest paraselene
Damn that was quick, thanks markus/lance

Flashing took AGES the first time, I didn't remove any apps from the app folder, was that a mistake?!

coz it needs to create the dalvik cache for the first time of boot for lots of apps :)

Guest Kthulhu
I know it probably a silly question but how do you wipe data/cache for fresh rom on these?

I know its stupid but found all other info :)

With Clockwork Mod recovery :)

If you are new to android custom roms, there are several good guides around Read & Search the forum, is full of tips and useful info.

Guest oh!dougal

I'm sorry, but I have to ask -- do you properly understand what the issue is?

Its not that the compass doesn't work at all with a UK phone, the problem is that the compass wanders dramatically when the phone is tilted ... which confuses every app that thinks it knows which direction the phone is pointing ... have you tried Google Sky Map?

By the time my phone is 'examining' the sky overhead, the compass is totally confused. Not so with other roms, which is why I'm running KK's other rom, Hedgehog ...

Try tilting your phone sideways and check again if the compass is "fine" ...

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest Sebastian404

I've been working on a ROM based on the same Finish ROM, and my beta tester team (hello) had discoverd that on a new OUK TFT screen device, the camera will not auto focus...

on my 1st gen OUK OLED it works fine....

anyone else noticed that with this ROM?

Guest steve1221
I've been working on a ROM based on the same Finish ROM, and my beta tester team (hello) had discoverd that on a new OUK TFT screen device, the camera will not auto focus...

on my 1st gen OUK OLED it works fine....

anyone else noticed that with this ROM?

Just tested this on mine. Orange TFT arrived on Monday this week and the auto focus worked fine. I could see it moving the focus in and out before it took the shot. . .

Flashed with r2 on Thursday.

Edited by steve1221

Guest gameSTICKER

Hi there, I am using your ROM and i find it the fastest one around, thanks for the awesome work. And the best part is, your custom kernel! I'm fascinated about kernel development, basically want to dig into and fix a few nagging things, if I happen to go that far.

I've done Linux development but never worked with Kernel. Can you help me get started with kernel development please?

Guest kallt_kaffe

Been a bit busy lately and haven't followed this thread as much as I should (I'll read up later) but I've seen the compass issue coming up a few times. The compass seems fine for me in the compass app but behaves really strange in Google Maps. As some may know the finnish (stock) ROM have two files that are related to compass and sensors that differs from the ones in the hungarian ROM. One is /system/bin/akmd2 and in RLS2 I replaced the finnish one with the hungarian one and that seems to have fixed the compass in the compass app. Today I tried replacing the other changed file with the hungarian version and I haven't had time to test it much but it seems the compass is now behaving much better in Google Maps.

So, try replacing /system/lib/hw/sensors.default.so with the version used in the Hungarian Hedgehog ROM and let me know if it works better.

Guest relentlessforce
I'm sorry, but I have to ask -- do you properly understand what the issue is?

Its not that the compass doesn't work at all with a UK phone, the problem is that the compass wanders dramatically when the phone is tilted ... which confuses every app that thinks it knows which direction the phone is pointing ... have you tried Google Sky Map?

By the time my phone is 'examining' the sky overhead, the compass is totally confused. Not so with other roms, which is why I'm running KK's other rom, Hedgehog ...

Try tilting your phone sideways and check again if the compass is "fine" ...

Not sure what you mean by tilted?

So I've got the phone flat on the floor - north is in the right direction

I then put the phone on it's side on the floor then look at the screen and yes, the compass moves, but that is because it assumes you are viewing the screen at a perpendicular angle surely? Still pointing in the right direction.

Sky Map seems ok too but, i dont know, maybe I'm retarded. :)

Edited by relentlessforce

Guest oh!dougal
Not sure what you mean by tilted?

So I've got the phone flat on the floor - north is in the right direction

I then put the phone on it's side on the floor then look at the screen and yes, the compass moves, but that is because it assumes you are viewing the screen at a perpendicular angle surely? Still pointing in the right direction. ...

No, not quite.

Simple demonstration, running Compass.

Set it on the floor.

Turn the phone so it points North (black arrow at 0 degrees).

Now, without turning the phone, lift the side with the Volume buttons, so the phone is resting on the side with the charger socket.

Tilt it so its standing on edge.

The compass will swing dramatically. It shouldn't. (That's why it has the accelerometer with it!) Its being rolled about a North/South axis, so it can still accurately point North.

It doesn't move more than about 10 degrees with KK's hedgehog and other roms.

The compass with FF only indicates correctly when resting flat on the floor. Any deviation from horizontal produces a significant compass error.

With Sky Map, "look" at the horizon, there are markers for the compass points.

Is North where Compass led you to expect it to be?

Then raise the phone towards the Zenith (move it to "look" at the sky directly above what you have been looking at - what you are actually doing is twisting the phone from vertical towards horizontal (but upside down).

If you went straight up from the horizon, the stars should move straight down on the screen.

With FF, they move sideways on screen, even though your movement had no sideways component.

Result, the screen doesn't show the stars for the bit of sky the phone is pointing at. Fail.

It works fine with HH ... and everything except the Finnish compass software.

Now to try some zip-file-shuffling ... with that second file ...

Edited by oh!dougal

@kalt_kaffe:

Do you plan to incorporate the changes in the new kernel source release source to your custom kernel? They say they changed something with battery and screen.

Guest gambieter

I have been using RLS2 (fat) of this ROM since yesterday, and notice quite a lot of disconnects and reconnects of the WiFi. The installing on the /system doesn't really seem to save much RAM, as after installing all the apps I had on BladeVillain (Freekers customisation), I have about ~105 MB left, same as Bladevillain.

Overall it feels responsive, even without HW_UI. I will probably keep this for a week or so and see how it behaves.

Guest oh!dougal

Right!

Changing to the Hungarian /system/lib/hw/sensors.default.so has fixed the compass.

It is now sane in Compass, Maps/StreetView/CompassMode and Sky Map.

Hey-hey!

Since I was doing Zip surgery, I've also removed a few things that seemed to be surplus to my needs.

Including Blade WiFi Fix which was cutting in almost every time ...

I have been using RLS2 (fat) of this ROM since yesterday, and notice quite a lot of disconnects and reconnects of the WiFi. ...

Without BWF, it seems as though the WiFi driver is being switched off, about a second or two after boot, then switched on again ...

I see a lovely healthy wifi signal, then it disappears, then a Network Data symbol appears before being replaced by the wifi symbol again.

Clearly BWF was overkill and being confused by the driver's over-cautious behaviour.

There's really no need for the driver to cycle the power on every wake.

But IF its going to do that, there's no need for BWF to get involved as well.

Much better IMHO to let the driver take its chance of working properly first time, and then IF (and then ONLY if) the reconnect after sleep goes wrong, would BWF intervene and cycle the power to wifi.

Absolutely no need to do it twice on every wake-up! :)

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest oh!dougal
Yep - there are a 2 contact widgets for some bizarre reason....

Simple sensible reason actually -- one goes to the full contact list, the other to starred favourite contacts ... :)