720p mp4

Guest mingoid

Guest mingoid

Hi, I've seen that I should be able to play 720p MP4s on the vega, but the stock player keeps playing some audio and telling me it can't play them? I'm on Paul's mod + powerpack. Tried a few, but can't get any to work ;)

I'm getting mine next week (whenever it gets delivered). The stock player playing HD is one of the areas I'm going to investigate when I have time. I'll try and figure out what codecs/profiles the thing can play and note them in a thread.

Guest mingoid
I'm getting mine next week (whenever it gets delivered). The stock player playing HD is one of the areas I'm going to investigate when I have time. I'll try and figure out what codecs/profiles the thing can play and note them in a thread.

I definitely saw another post where they got 720p mp4 to play fine, not sure if its just the powerpack.

Guest Bisto321
I definitely saw another post where they got 720p mp4 to play fine, not sure if its just the powerpack.

Think advent said they would look into video support.

The wrappers used seem to affect the quality of the playback, as well as the profile and rates.

My single core tab plays 1080p mkv's without a glitch, but my folio based on the same hardware as the advent, really struggled with 720? I think the tegra driver support is pretty naff at the moment, once they are sorted and both cores and video acceleration is supported you should be able to crunch a lot more video.

Have advent released a spec for the accepted video playback? Or are you all just trying stuff?

this thread has also been started on here - http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...e-stock-player/

Edited by Bisto321

I dont think that whether the vega has the grunt to actually play 720p files is the issue.

For example i have tried 720p quicktime, wmv and MP4 files without any issues. There are certain formats that trip it up though. For example MKV which is silly given that the format is just the same as the others with some extra info.

There are always going to certain video files that dont work. Hell there are even some that dont work on my windows laptop. And there are a lot of different profiles out there for each format as well. Im just glad my vega plays something.

At least were not stuck with just itunes.

Guest Bisto321
I dont think that whether the vega has the grunt to actually play 720p files is the issue.

For example i have tried 720p quicktime, wmv and MP4 files without any issues. There are certain formats that trip it up though. For example MKV which is silly given that the format is just the same as the others with some extra info.

There are always going to certain video files that dont work. Hell there are even some that dont work on my windows laptop. And there are a lot of different profiles out there for each format as well. Im just glad my vega plays something.

Yes, agree. I think the vega is currently playing whatever it plays with just the grunt of the hardware, when it is fully optimised and offloads the video decoding correctly, it will be ace.

Also, have to agree with the 'i' reference - whatever the vega and its android buddies can do at the moment, limited or otherwise, will only get better with development and progress in places like this.

The potential of a multiple hardware ports, hdmi capability and open source software is a billion times more appealing to me than any 'i' product, nice as they arguably are.

Guest warriorscot

Well most of my videos are either in .mkv or are .avi and standard divx. My current problem is trying to play 720p avi movies with ac3 audio playing beautifully with the exception of no audio on either the default video player or rock or real players. It's really anoying as while it plays TV episodes fine and I dont habe that many. mkvs I have tonnes of movies wuth ac3 audio and its a standard audio format that is supposedly supported.

I have tonnes of movies wuth ac3 audio and its a standard audio format that is supposedly supported.

Where have you seen it is supposed to be supported. Android only supports AAC, not AC-3. I'd guess this is to avoid any licensing issues with Dolby (and hence why the Archos charges more for it as a paid-for app).

Guest mingoid

Are you playing mp4s in the stock player? I could only get them to play in Rockplayer. Strangely the stock player will play xvid, which my Nexus One won't.

Are you playing mp4s in the stock player? I could only get them to play in Rockplayer. Strangely the stock player will play xvid, which my Nexus One won't.

Stock player is fine with MP4 files ... only issue is with AC3 audio and MKV files really at the moment

Guest warriorscot

Well after some playing I can now get AC3 audio using rockplayer in software decoding mode. However the audio is out of sync so while progress its not working that well.

I thought I saw ac3 support listed somewhere. Its a pretty basic audio format and common for video files, I get that its crappy dolby and you need to pay a royalty but android is made by google which could probably afford to buy Dolby it doesn't seem much of an excuse not to include it in the standard codecs. Apparently coreplayer is going to have an AC3 codec for android.

Well after some playing I can now get AC3 audio using rockplayer in software decoding mode. However the audio is out of sync so while progress its not working that well.

I thought I saw ac3 support listed somewhere. Its a pretty basic audio format and common for video files, I get that its crappy dolby and you need to pay a royalty but android is made by google which could probably afford to buy Dolby it doesn't seem much of an excuse not to include it in the standard codecs. Apparently coreplayer is going to have an AC3 codec for android.

It may generally be a common audio format but i wouldnt say it was the default for mkv dixv etc ...

Guest warriorscot
but i wouldnt say it was the default for mkv dixv etc

I tend to grab most of my files of newsgroups as its actually quicker than converting from DVDs or Blurays myself and I would say 70-80% of high quality rips come with ac3 audio its only the smaller sized videos that don't have it. So most TV episodes don't have it which is why I didn't notice the problem till I got my bigger SD card and tried some 720p avi files. It may just be my preference is for videos 2-5Gb in size as I don't like wasting space on bigger files with DTS audio unless I really like them.