any reason NOT to update the baseband?

Guest offthahorse

Guest offthahorse

im currently on O2 2.1 (8105) and wanting to go to Hydes 2.2. the biggest draws to me are claims of better performance due to a lighter build, restoral of the front facing cam, 720p recording and of course flash player.

My streaks are unlocked by subsidy unlock code. i DONT use it as a phone but i do keep a sim with a small prepaid data plan on it for when im not around wifi. i play games and browse the web.

are there any disadvantages to upgrading the baseband? i know it says rebelsim users shouldnt do this but im not using a rebelsim.

as for performance improvements, is it just, menus open faster and scrolling is smoother/faster or will it transfer over to games for example Angry birds even though it looks like a simple enough game can get choppy sometimes. Dungeon Hunter runs pretty smoothly but takes forever to load. (Cutscenes even work great on mine.) will these games run any more smoothly?

thanks

Guest jmhalder

the baseband upgrade shouldn't affect anything with your subsidy unlock. As for speed, its MUCH faster than that crappy 8105 build, the menu's are buttery smooth... and the speed difference in games is noticable too, mainly because of the JIT compiler that was introduced in 2.2, amongst other things... you might wait for DJ_Steve's 1.5 build to come out, as there are a few tiny tiny bugs... I'd still take Steve's 1.4.6 over 8105 in a heartbeat.

Guest offthahorse
the baseband upgrade shouldn't affect anything with your subsidy unlock. As for speed, its MUCH faster than that crappy 8105 build, the menu's are buttery smooth... and the speed difference in games is noticable too, mainly because of the JIT compiler that was introduced in 2.2, amongst other things... you might wait for DJ_Steve's 1.5 build to come out, as there are a few tiny tiny bugs... I'd still take Steve's 1.4.6 over 8105 in a heartbeat.

thanks for clearing that up ;)