Dalvik cache to /cache

Guest split2th

Guest split2th

I would like to move my dalvik cache to the /cache partition on my liquid e, in order to free up space on the /data partition. I'm running stock froyo. I've been searching for a script that I can use in Gscript but haven't had much luck. I found something on xda, it's exactly what I want to do exept it requires me to flash a zip file. I wanted to check with you guys before screwing with this, as I have absolutely no experience with linux commands. I'd totally appreciate any advice here.

Moving dalvik cache to /cache

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748053

Thanks.

Guest split2th

I'm surprised if no one know's how to do this easily. It seems like something very useful. my 200 mb data partition is down to 25 mb. I've read that people start experiencing weird issues when they start running low on memory, like there phone rejecting sms messages. I hate the idea of wasting a perfectly good partition /cache. It's completely empty. it's wasting nearly 100 mb. I know I can use apps2sd, but the bigger card I use is only class 4. Performance is always my main concern. Just moving the dalvik cache should give me enough breathing room to add a few more apps and have enough free space to keep the system running smooth.

Thanks.

Edited by split2th

Guest xaueious

If I recall correctly, moving dalvik cache to /cache may require repacking the kernel. Plus /cache is pretty small. Why don't you just try it yourself?

77MB fills up faster than you think.

Edited by xaueious

Guest split2th
If I recall correctly, moving dalvik cache to /cache may require repacking the kernel. Plus /cache is pretty small. Why don't you just try it yourself?

77MB fills up faster than you think.

I wouldn't know where to start, unfortunately. Anyways, this is no longer an option. All of my partitions have been resized and I no longer have such a large /cache.

Guest Andrea1Liquid
I wouldn't know where to start, unfortunately. Anyways, this is no longer an option. All of my partitions have been resized and I no longer have such a large /cache.

Well, I did that in my ports so sonething can be done in a similar way. You can take your dalvik-cache folder and create a zip with a cache folder with your dalvik in here. Then you can take a META-INF folder from any ROM and edit the update script so it only symlinks the dalvik cache in /cache with /data/dalvik-cache, copies the cache folder from the archive and erases the cache in /data. Of course the files in META-INF have to get erased as you'll have to flash the update as unsigned. I could be more precise but I'm writing from the phone and I can't access the PC and look at the script ;)

Guest split2th
Well, I did that in my ports so sonething can be done in a similar way. You can take your dalvik-cache folder and create a zip with a cache folder with your dalvik in here. Then you can take a META-INF folder from any ROM and edit the update script so it only symlinks the dalvik cache in /cache with /data/dalvik-cache, copies the cache folder from the archive and erases the cache in /data. Of course the files in META-INF have to get erased as you'll have to flash the update as unsigned. I could be more precise but I'm writing from the phone and I can't access the PC and look at the script ;)

Lol, The script mostly looks like mumbo-jumbo to me. but as far as I can tell it's doing what you're describing.