Possible to keep wifi on while Vega in standby?

Guest av1277

Paul can you comment on this, seems to be a showstopper to many people.....

It's hardly a showstopper ... People will soon be moaning once their battery life is halved

Guest zzleezz
It's hardly a showstopper ... People will soon be moaning once their battery life is halved

While not being a Showstopper for me it is annoying. My Vega is meant as a pick and shoot device around the house, turns on instant from sleep but wifi sometimes takes an she to connect which starts to defeat the object. Shortening the battery life wont matter to me as being in the house all the time I'm never very far from a charger..... :-)

Guest Pyr0x64
While not being a Showstopper for me it is annoying. My Vega is meant as a pick and shoot device around the house, turns on instant from sleep but wifi sometimes takes an she to connect which starts to defeat the object. Shortening the battery life wont matter to me as being in the house all the time I'm never very far from a charger..... :-)

+1 definitely, i hate how long it takes to reconnect sometimes

Edited by Pyr0x64

It might not be for you but for a lot of people it is, just reading this topic shows that.

Things I would like to do:

1) Stream radio and switch the screen off

2) Receive push email, facebook and twitter updates while the device is in standby.

3) Receive skype calls while the device is in standby.

(and im sure there are many more reasons).

As for battery life I would just switch off wifi when I dont want it just like I do on my smartphone......

Someone please find a fix!! :-)

Guest jesterzoo

It is a big problem for downloading torrents through ttorrent, which incidentaly works really well on the vega provided it is plugged in to avoid standby. Available from slideme appstore.

Guest SAFC1978

Its a problem for me too

Been looking in to it and found an app that could have fixed it (wifi fixer). However it did not work.

One thing the app did do was give me access to the wifi sleep policy setting that is usually in the advanced settings under wifi.

It turns out that never sleep was selected anyway, so it may be a problem with the wifi driver.

Not that clued up on the driver/kernel stuff, just hope Paul and or Advent can solve this.

• 1 month later...
Guest premieral
hep! Another vote for this issue. Those bastards in advent should have known better! At least give us the choice...

woah chill out there, there is a lot on here about preventing the vega from sleeping, try searching for backlight killer that will do the job for you.

:(

Guest simonta
hep! Another vote for this issue. Those bastards in advent should have known better! At least give us the choice...

Very unpleasant post.

Seek first to understand, and only then to be understood.

In all likelihood, nothing anyone can do (except Pandigital with a new build) as the power is removed from the wifi device on standby. Not 100% certain yet but most likely.

Guest SilentMobius
Very unpleasant post.

In all likelihood, nothing anyone can do (except Pandigital with a new build) as the power is removed from the wifi device on standby. Not 100% certain yet but most likely.

Not true, what we do know is that the problem with the wi-fi is _not_ in the kernel and _not_ in hardware. The reason we know this is because wi-fi stays on after screen timeout on the CM7 alpha which uses the default Vega kernel.

However other problems are made more obvious, such as the fact the Vega's kernel has broken power save and fails to restore from power save without use of the power button, hence timer events do not wake the CPU. So even if you do have wi-fi on scheduled events do not happen (such as rss feed downloads)

There have been _many_ commits into the Tegra2 branch of the linux kernel recently, specifically about Tegra2 power save. However most of them are regarding the Ventana chipset (Xoom et all) not the Harmony development board (that the Gtab and the Vega are based on) hopefully the patches are applicable to harmony as well and the power save issues are not endemic to all Harmony boards.

Pershoot has been porting Ventanna patches to the harmony board kernel that the Gtab uses, hopefully the only difference between our two boards are the wi-fi chipsets. Though the sound and gpio controllers may be different

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest jastonas
Very unpleasant post.

I read that it is kernel related and that the kernel source has been released so we might be seeing a fix.