2.3 for San Fran

Guest olionair

Guest mELIANTE
It looks surprisingly easy to get running on devices. I just booted it on the Pulse on my first attempt with no problems. Probably won't have time to play with the blade until after work.

Say what now?? ;)

Guest RichBayliss

This would seem to be a hacked together version from SDK - so I don't think we need to get our hopes up just yet.

Source isn't out yet (or certainly not advertised as such) so this can only be a binary rip... not going to have alot of HW support - prob just basic IO systems etc, maybe a few others.

Tom G - good work on the Pulse device, serious Kudos to you. If you do put something together which would be flashable on the Blade then I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to try it out for you (me included). I would be more interested in the fact that the Kernel version .29 doesn't match the "announced" version .35.

Link for reference Wikipedia (Android)

I would be more interested in the fact that the Kernel version .29 doesn't match the "announced" version .35.

I'm fairly sure the Froyo SDK also used 2.6.29. I think they just haven't updated the emulator kernel. All Gingerbread device should be 2.6.35, but it should also run fine on 2.6.32 or 2.6.29 (as is the case with Froyo).

Tom can you confirm your still working on a cyanogen mod for the blade? i havnt heard anything about it in a while ;)

I haven't been actively working on it for a while, but I will get back to it.

I've been very busy recently and haven't had time, plus I'm trying to fix up a few final things with the Pulse CyanogenMod port.

Guest SWOriginal
I haven't been actively working on it for a while, but I will get back to it.

I've been very busy recently and haven't had time, plus I'm trying to fix up a few final things with the Pulse CyanogenMod port.

Thanks for the update, great knowing there will be more roms for the blade ;)

Guest RichBayliss
Disregard 2.2

Aquire 2.3

Seems sensible to me if it's available...

Only way right now is to extract the data from the emulator images. We would need some clever ROM developer to help out here.

Guest Ally Weir

that is absolutely amazing if someone can get gingerbread to boot on the pulse so easily. it bodes well for us.

This kind of stuff makes me so excited for the SanFran community, coming from a Moto DEXT where there was not much ROM development this is astounding.

Good luck modders, I'll be here to drop a twenty in your paypal when you succeed

Guest The Soup Thief

For anyone interested, here's a little bit of 2.3 you can play with right now!

Peter Alfonso of Bugless Beast (?) has pulled the new keyboard out and squirted it up Droid-life's internets

Meaning that you can download it via the link on this droid-life page

Unfortunately everyone in the world seems to be trying to download it (join the queue at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U4QT3IXK)

Found another link here

http://onix-android.com/2010/12/hot-off-th...bread-keyboard/

Also I see xda developers have upped it

Stick the zip on yer sd card, power down, go into clockwork and install from zip

Supposed to work on froyo and up (all the way to gingerbread, presumably...)

I'm just trying it out on FLB froyo (3 i think)

Looks nice, but it's giving me force closes, so i'll stick with swype i think... (make sure you back up before you playing!)

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest The Soup Thief
Yea except all the new features touted in 2.3 kb don't work in that apk.

No dictionary, no predictive, no multitouch.

Don't waste your time.

A little harsh... it was discrete, accurate and responsive (probably discrete cos it seemed to be sized for a smaller screen)...

...until it was buried by the flurry of force close notifications

There's supposed to be a fixed one somewhere, but I've just wasted half an hour before coming to the conclusion that I would have gone back to swype even if it had worked! ;)

Dictionary and predictive work fine on my N1, as for multi-touch, not so much, but the N1 isn't exactly famed for having a great digitizer... I would imagine the SF isn't much better in that respect?

Got it booted.

The screen is of course upside down. Its not quite as simple on the blade as the pulse.

A custom kernel is needed, which has a few side effects.

1) adb doesnt work (usbconfig doesnt work)

2) wifi is unlikely to work

Without either adb or wifi it will be difficult to fix other things (can't get a shell). I will upload a rom shortly, but it won't be very usable.

Got it booted.

The screen is of course upside down. Its not quite as simple on the blade as the pulse.

A custom kernel is needed, which has a few side effects.

1) adb doesnt work (usbconfig doesnt work)

2) wifi is unlikely to work

Without either adb or wifi it will be difficult to fix other things (can't get a shell). I will upload a rom shortly, but it won't be very usable.

Sounds good Tom, will be willing to Nandroid and have a fiddle with this even without most things working, just to see what Gingerbread will be like.

Guest Simon O
wow u've already got a custom kernal for 2.3 on the blade, good stuff mate, lets jus hope that it will become usable in the near future

Not yet but there is a chance the Froyo kernel could work with Gingerbread. Would be nice if ZTE could release the .32 kernel code to help us.

wow u've already got a custom kernal for 2.3 on the blade, good stuff mate, lets jus hope that it will become usable in the near future

Its just a modification on the 2.6.29 kernel. The VM split needs to be changed.

Here is the rom. gingerbread-blade-test1.zip

But be warned it really isn't usable.

Flash with fastboot. Wipe data & cache.

Edit. I just fixed adb, so I'm reuploading the rom.

Edit2. Upload finished. Now that adb is working it should be easier to get things going, but the screen is going to be a problem.

Edited by Tom G

Guest kallt_kaffe
Its just a modification on the 2.6.29 kernel. The VM split needs to be changed.

Please explain. What would I need to change in my custom kernel to make it run with GingerBread?