Nexus S UK Pricing - £549 SIM free!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest WearTheFoxHat

I was tempted by the Desire HD until I saw how bad the battery life is, and the speaker issues.

So decided to hold off for the Nexus S, hoping that it will get the best of service from the immediate OS drops. But the spec is poor, build quality will be questionable, and pricing is hilarious.

I'll stick with my 3GS and Blade for now I think ;)

Guest MaTiCeK

I really want a nexus s, but as of now, it has s not been announced for the rest of Europe, just the UK.

After doing some calculations, even with postage and duty costs included, the nexus s is cheaper to order from the US than from the UK.

This pricing really is unbelievable, one gets the feeling that Europe is paying more for the phones to be cheaper in the US...

I really want a nexus s, but as of now, it has s not been announced for the rest of Europe, just the UK.

After doing some calculations, even with postage and duty costs included, the nexus s is cheaper to order from the US than from the UK.

This pricing really is unbelievable, one gets the feeling that Europe is paying more for the phones to be cheaper in the US...

Or maybe samsung just figured Europe is their battle already lost ( to HTC or others)

Anyway, if can get Nexus S natively in US the pricing is not that bad.£350 ish is good price. £549 is a rip off.

Guest MaTiCeK

Yep agreed, £350 isn't bad at all. I'd pay it in a heartbeat.

But I can't agree that the battle is already lost. Regardless of the brand (ie poor build quality of Galaxy S vs excelent Desire HD), I'd buy any nexus phone over any non nexus. My first Android steps were with the Desire, I was so sorry not having bought the Nexus One once Froyo came out... I never want to feel the "pain" again. I guess most geeks think the same.

The only lucky thing is that 2.3 doesn't necessarily add end user enhacements as important as 2.2 did. It's more a developer centered upgrade to enable them write better games and stuff...

Yep agreed, £350 isn't bad at all. I'd pay it in a heartbeat.

But I can't agree that the battle is already lost. Regardless of the brand (ie poor build quality of Galaxy S vs excelent Desire HD), I'd buy any nexus phone over any non nexus. My first Android steps were with the Desire, I was so sorry not having bought the Nexus One once Froyo came out... I never want to feel the "pain" again. I guess most geeks think the same.

The only lucky thing is that 2.3 doesn't necessarily add end user enhacements as important as 2.2 did. It's more a developer centered upgrade to enable them write better games and stuff...

I think nexus one was different story. It had more features than the androids before it ( think about Hero, Moto Droid and etc) it was revolutionary in many way.

Nexus S compare to the likes of Desire HD has less capability: lack of microSim, dual LED flash, Radio, built in navigation (off line functionality), and etc. Android 2.3 is great but it's the hardware that annoyed most people.

No doubt a lot of programming would e based off NS going forward, bu just think about what could have been if it's a leap just one step further.maybe that's why google not clling it Nexus Two because it's no worthy of a 2nd generation benchmark android.

I don't blame google, I blame Samsung being incapable of creativity.

actually tried placing an order on US bestbuy.com, but they dont carry it without contract. basically: Google is not selling Nexus S online without contract in U.S.

this is epic fail.

update: ignore that, Google just posted the link for buying nexus S unlocked, I placed an order for one in US bestbuy.com shipping to a friend domestically. $567 including tax which is about £360.

at this price i can justify the phone as a replacement for my Mrs' HTC Hero

Edited by cezent

carphonewarehouse just dropped the Nexus S price to £429.99, they must have realized their initial attempt to rip the face of everyone who s interested s not really paying off.

Does anybody know if there would be any issues getting one from the US?

I know somebody over there, so was going to get them to buy one for me and ship it themselves, try to avoid the customs fee etc.

£429 is still ridiculous considering the US price.

Does anybody know if there would be any issues getting one from the US?

I know somebody over there, so was going to get them to buy one for me and ship it themselves, try to avoid the customs fee etc.

£429 is still ridiculous considering the US price.

nope, should be the same GSM version just like the Nexus One was. Paul s ordered from US according to his twitter, so have I.

Guest Mr.Clark

I recant my previous statement. This phone is AMAZING.

I caved and bought one from CPW. Ordered late Tuesday, arrived in-store Thursday evening. Open 'til 8. Hurrah!

I'm a total Android noob, so I have a steep learning curve, but I'm loving it so far...

Guest countrylad

I bought a Desire HD from Carphone Warehouse for £500. Less than 28 days later I had to take it back because the power button was failing (collapsing in and sticking under the plastic surround when pressed). I got it swapped for another on Christmas Eve. I took that back yesterday because the earpiece speaker was faulty (rattling during a call).

Having totally lost faith with the DHD build quality and not trusting that the next one wouldn't fail (probably outside the 28 day return window), I cut my losses and was about to take a refund. But the store manager was just logging a stack of their first Nexus S delivery into stock. Given that I wanted a high-end Android and nothing else fits the bill, I took one (with a nearly £70 refund on the DHD price).

I have to say, with 24 hours use, I love it. The battery life is instantly and obviously better than the DHD and it looks great. I know some complain about it being 'plasticky', but as HTC couldn't deliver decent build quality with the DHD, this has suddenly become a good thing in my mind. It's straightforward and feels well made. It's great in the hand and just feels like a top-notch Android.

Thanks to Paul's work it's already rooted and running his custom ROM. All-in-all, at the new lower price I'd say it has a lot to recommend it. HTC have really let themselves down with stupid design decisions on the DHD (never trusted those battery and SIM/SD covers either). I loved it's power and versatility, but I never used Sense anyway, so I don't miss that.

Just my thoughts on the Nexus S. I don't think anyone who buys one will be disappointed.