Nexus One Vs Nexus S

Guest shyguyfly

Guest shyguyfly

So i have a nexus one phone and i'm liking the look of the nexus s. i love my current phone but im looking for something new cause its been awhile lol. But when i look at the specs of the nexus one vs nexus S there's not much of a difference other than the amoled screen, gingerbread, and of course the hummingbird. Just looking for honest opinions from people who know more about phones than i do if it's worth upgrading. I mean both processors are 1ghz so i dont believe there's much difference. Any opinion would help thanks.

Guest squirreleater
So i have a nexus one phone and i'm liking the look of the nexus s. i love my current phone but im looking for something new cause its been awhile lol. But when i look at the specs of the nexus one vs nexus S there's not much of a difference other than the amoled screen, gingerbread, and of course the hummingbird. Just looking for honest opinions from people who know more about phones than i do if it's worth upgrading. I mean both processors are 1ghz so i dont believe there's much difference. Any opinion would help thanks.

The nexus S will be faster, the Galaxy S is noticably faster, the Nexus S should be quicker still.

The screen is superb on the Galaxy, a real step up from the nexus.

The Nexus one will get Gingerbread, I'd expect before (unofficially) the s is even released.

Having owned a Galaxy S I would suggest the Nexus S isn't worth the money currently if you have a Nexus one, it's just not enough of a step up. There will be better spec phones in the new year for sure, it's just a case of waiting for the developers to pick up one, that'll be the phone to get.

The nexus S will be faster, the Galaxy S is noticably faster, the Nexus S should be quicker still.

The screen is superb on the Galaxy, a real step up from the nexus.

The Nexus one will get Gingerbread, I'd expect before (unofficially) the s is even released.

Having owned a Galaxy S I would suggest the Nexus S isn't worth the money currently if you have a Nexus one, it's just not enough of a step up. There will be better spec phones in the new year for sure, it's just a case of waiting for the developers to pick up one, that'll be the phone to get.

I'm a bit puzzled as to the sense of releasing a device like Nexus S. It has no real advantages over Galaxy S and Galaxy S is imho a horrid piece of fail. No OTA updates (kies is awful), it's plasticy, needs OCLF to work properly etc. How is that quality in any way comparable to HTC is beyond my comprehension. Sure the CPU and GPU combo is nice on the SGS as well as the screen, but that's about it.

I sure hope Samsung has stepped up their game for Nexus S, i'd hate to be around on IRC and forums when the s*** hits the fan AGAIN on a Samsung device. First it was Spica, then SGS...

Guest vzontini

Maybe things will change once the phone is available and people get to try it out, but from the original release information I don't see why I would upgrade from my Nexus One. I happily plunked down my hard earned cash to upgrade from a Palm Treo 755 to the Nexus One. However at first glance the cost involved doesn't seem worth the change to the Nexus S. Over the next year I think it will also depend on the ever growing size of the ROMs. Eventually the 512MB flash is going to limit the Nexus One but at this time I don't feel pressured as there are plenty of good ROMs available that fit. Who knows maybe the developers will find a way to bypass that problem as well.

Guest MikeDaGeek

I was very interested in changing phones ...

But when you do a side by side comparison ...

I find the lack of a MicroSD slot annoying (What am I to do with the 32GB one I have in my N1?)

an only slightly larger screen, less talking time (Wait ... WHAT!!)

the 16GB internal memory is appealing but only if I get to add to it ... still only 512 of RAM (N1 has that)

OK .... the 2 cameras are kinda cool ... video calls ... if only someone else I knew and called had it!!

It is nice to see most (if not all GSM Bands covered) i.e. UNLOCKED

only available at Best Buy??!!

Hmmmmm I'm already under contract ... so there's no discount for getting a service contract ...

I do believe someone has to have something brewing back there ....

Pretty sure I can stay happy with my N1 until something with more than 1 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, dual cameras, >4GB internal + MicroSD slot for Memory shows up .... especially at the prices they want ....

Guest sennister

I am glad that it isn't all that much better than my Nexus 1. I will keep it and not upgrade. There are not enough features to justify $530. I may take that money and get an Android Tablet when one comes around that I like. Of the things it adds, there really isn't anything that I have to have. I am happy with the display on the N1. I don't care about the 2nd camera because the only people I know that have 2 are on iPhones and who knows if I would be able to use it with them. Even if I could I don't see the advantage of being able to see them while I talk to them. The biggest thing I will say about it is that it is about dang time that they bumped up the ROM size. How long have we been battling this crap with running out of space unless you root the phone and go with A2SD. Ok at first it was to keep costs down but really if we had 4 or 8GB ROM and a micro SD slot I would be plenty happy and we wouldn't have to worry about ROMS growing to the point were they consume all storage or a huge jump in cost. Is the lack of a micro SD a killer for me, no. However it would be nice to move my card over. While it wouldn't go to waste. I have some of those adapters that convert micro to regular SD so I would just keep it for another memory card for one of my cameras or Garmin GPS.

So in the end, I am glad it isn't all that. I have read talk of dual core processors on the horizon as well as speeds in the 1.3 - 1.5 GHz range. That is what I will hold out for. Also I will say that my next phone will likely be an HTC as I have liked this one and my G1. I really like Sense UI but we will have to see what Android 3 brings as there were rumors that it won't be needed anymore. Sense UI was a frustrating part of the N1. While it is great to have so I can get an Exchange Client that actually works like I want so I don't have to use Touchdown, and the Facebook integration is much better than Google's. The down side is that it was nice to get OS updates right away without having to wait for HTC to work out the bugs.

Guest Cometer

In all honesty I think most of us are already waiting for honeycomb smartphones. We want a revamped UI that can crush any advantage the iPhone may have on that area. Stuff like 3D hardware acceleration of the UI. Better gaming, the push of Google new services, music, books and so on. And above all that phone creators prefer releasing new phones with the stock interface if not only to make updates to the OS happen quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

it's not worth it at all same speed same ram. gingerbread? im pretty sure the nexus one is getting it too.

the LG Star/Optimus 2x is much better.

the only good thing about the nexus s is OTAs

Guest masterpfa

Like most people who have answered here I cannot see that much of a gain over the Nexus 1. If coming from another Android phone that hasn't been released within the last 6 months it MIGHT be worth your while.

Pus points:

Hummingbird Processor

AMOLED Screen

Gingerbread

16GB inbuilt

Negatives

No Micro SD support

Plastic case

No front facing camera

No HDMI out

For me there just is not a big enough jump, feature wise, from my Nexus 1 to this phone

Both processors are 1mhz although it is well known that the Hummingbird does in most dept outperform the Snapdragon

BUT

The real deal breaker for me is I believe that this phone was rushed out to meet the deadline set by Google to release Gingerbread and a new phone by Q4 2010.

I do not believe this is the phone either Google or Samsung wanted to release but time had run out.

IMHO

Edited by masterpfa

I dont understand the hype about the front facing cams.

UMTS (and video calling) started 7 years ago.

Sure, i did quite a few video calls back then to test this "awesome new feature", but now almost no one is using it.

Guest sinebubble
I dont understand the hype about the front facing cams.

UMTS (and video calling) started 7 years ago.

Sure, i did quite a few video calls back then to test this "awesome new feature", but now almost no one is using it.

Wait until you have a baby. Your wife will demand you have video calling whether you want it or not. You will have no say in the matter. :)

Guest mycroft72

I agree with the idea that the Nexus S wasn't the phone that Samsung wanted to put out. Initially, there were rumours of a early/mid November launch, the gingerbread man arrived at Google before the end of October.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/22/android-gingerbread/

I'd guess that initial testing resulted in people saying "why isn't it duel-core?" and Samsung slapping themselves on the forehead, and thinking that might be a better idea. The problem with that is the time it'd take to change the processor.

Given that Google are now trying to partner with a different manufacturer for each major release, HTC for eclair, Samsung for Gingerbread, and the Motorola tablet being the reference device for Honeycomb, they have to set some sort of delivery schedule. It's likely that Google have forced the release of the Nexus S in it's original form, as they have a schedule for Honeycomb already set.

I've got a Nexus One, and don't plan to change until there's a dual-core device that has got improved battery life. The reduced die size and better power management that Nvidia are suggesting with the Tegra2 hold some promise in that direction...

Not sure that the NFC technology is going anywhere just yet, but then unless there are devices out there that have the capability, then no-one is going to bother supporting it, so it's a chicken and egg situation.

Nice to see that not one person has mentioned NFC. That technology is a flop.

Well that's a matter of locality...

I have an NFC chip in my Android 2.1 phone. It'S not a Nexus S...

It's a Japanese Sharp Lynx 3D. I can for example use it to store my plane ticket and swipe it at an ANA gate or something. Not that I've ever used it, I'm not used to NFC technology yet... And I never flown with ANA either. Couple other things I can do, but I can't read Japanese well and Google Translate can't read it so well either lol. Some more features will be enabled next year, too, like using it to swipe at the gates at train stations, instead of having a separate transport card or whatnot. Or using it at vending machines. etc.

But that's all in Japan, and NFC has been around for a long time. The rest of the world will take longer... I remember back in 2008 or so, Nokia and O2 tried a phone with an NFC chip for the underground system in London, and I haven't heard anything about it since lol.

Just be glad they wanna put it in your phone and not in your head!! :)

sns