Gingerbread (2.3) for Pulse

Guest Tom G

Guest JimJam707
Download the SDK, cd to "tools", run "./android", go to "Available Packages" -> Android repository -> select "SDK Platform Android 2.3, API 9, revision 1" -> Install selected, wait for it to download (75 MBish) -> Virtual devices -> New -> Target: Android 2.3, Name, e.g., Gingerbread -> Create AVD -> Select what you've created -> Start... -> Launch.

You're done ;)

You my friend get a high five for telling me that :P

high_five-2495.jpg

Guest iKrautDroid
Its slow, but it boots and so far is fairly stable.

Working

RIL

3G

Wifi

Not working

Audio

Bluetooth

Sensors

Lights

SD card

Camera

gingerbread-pulse-test2.zip

Flash with fastboot. Wipe data/cache.

Change log

test2

Fixed 3G.

Enabled JIT. Feels a bit quicker.

Fixed Wifi.

Add EGL libs. Not sure if egl is working right.

Thanx so much, tom. Lets just make this usable and ill never leave the pulse (not even when im 30, and thats at leadt 15 years)

Guest ahmeds2000x
Download the SDK, cd to "tools", run "./android", go to "Available Packages" -> Android repository -> select "SDK Platform Android 2.3, API 9, revision 1" -> Install selected, wait for it to download (75 MBish) -> Virtual devices -> New -> Target: Android 2.3, Name, e.g., Gingerbread -> Create AVD -> Select what you've created -> Start... -> Launch.

You're done ;)

thanks but i meant the pulse 2.3 can it work on emulator

Guest AntonioPT
thanks but i meant the pulse 2.3 can it work on emulator

I think so, but I'm going to try. I'll report back to you in a few minutes.

EDIT: So far it's booting fine. I just replaced the system.img in .../platforms/android-9/images.

EDIT 2: It's stuck on the ANDROID boot logo.

Edited by AntonioPT

Guest AntonioPT
i need to ask you something is system.img = ramimage

No, system.img contains the main files (apks, libs, configuration files, etc...) and the ramimage (actually ramdisk) is what the kernel loads when booting up, and it only contains the most essential tools for booting Android.

Guest ahmeds2000x
No, system.img contains the main files (apks, libs, configuration files, etc...) and the ramimage (actually ramdisk) is what the kernel loads when booting up, and it only contains the most essential tools for booting Android.

I'm still a newb so i don't much but when i was looking for it i found a bunch of commands that change the emulator ramdisk and other stuff can you check them out please

go to

http://developer.android.com/guide/develop...s/emulator.html

and then scrowl down

Guest AntonioPT
I'm still a newb so i don't much but when i was looking for it i found a bunch of commands that change the emulator ramdisk and other stuff can you check them out please

go to

http://developer.android.com/guide/develop...s/emulator.html

and then scrowl down

Ramdisk has nothing to do with the Pulse 2.3 ROM not working in the emulator.

But first of all why did you want to do that? If you want to run Gingerbread, either flash the Pulse version to your phone or use the emulator version.

Guest ahmeds2000x
Ramdisk has nothing to do with the Pulse 2.3 ROM not working in the emulator.

But first of all why did you want to do that? If you want to run Gingerbread, either flash the Pulse version to your phone or use the emulator version.

i wanted to test the pulse gingerbread rom errors without losing my data so i tried to use emulator

Guest AntonioPT
i wanted to test the pulse gingerbread rom errors without losing my data so i tried to use emulator

First of all, you can't do everything on an emulator. IIRC, the emulator has no camera, no rotation, no sensors, no bluetooth, no lights, ... You can't test what's not there ;)

Second, just make a nandroid backup and restore it when you want to go back to your current ROM.

Guest ahmeds2000x
First of all, you can't do everything on an emulator. IIRC, the emulator has no camera, no rotation, no sensors, no bluetooth, no lights, ... You can't test what's not there ;)

Second, just make a nandroid backup and restore it when you want to go back to your current ROM.

now there is another problem i can't get to fastboot i tried vol up power bottom and even when i try to go to bootloader from cyanogenmod all that it does is rebooting the phone noting much !!?!!

Edited by ahmeds2000x

Guest JimMorrison723
now there is another problem i can't get to fastboot i tried vol up power bottom and even when i try to go to bootloader from cyanogenmod all that it does is rebooting the phone noting much !!?!!

try quick boot app, you can reboot your phone to bootleader mode in it.

We're not first but certainly fast. And we're also the only one with lowest specs/latest android ;)

And you can probably flash it like rommanager does with cw recovery.

In example:

su
flash_image system /sdcard/system.img[/codebox]

from terminal. I haven't tried this though.

[b]Edit: now that I look at this I would certainly not do this, because you're currently using the system partition and it'll probably screw up kinda bad :S[/b]

Sh4d0w940

system is mounted ro, so as long as it writes the whole image before it crashes you shouldn't get any corruption, but if it tries to read anything during or after the flash it may crash. flash_image from recovery should work.

Guest Fusion0306

That because that's not the key combo for fastboot. It for official updates. Fastboot: red button, volume DOWN and the power button

BTW: Tom G, awesome job! ;) Hope that you'll keep at it :P

Edited by Fusion0306

Guest add.thebad

no freakin way!!!

I was thinking lucky gits with their HTC my poor old pulse wont get this and then all of a sudden boom here it is

you are amazing! keep up the good work i cant wait to try!!!

thank you!!

Guest ahmeds2000x
system is mounted ro, so as long as it writes the whole image before it crashes you shouldn't get any corruption, but if it tries to read anything during or after the flash it may crash. flash_image from recovery should work.

i just tried it says flashing system but then it stuck i waited for 10 mins and took the battary out and in and open it but it goes to recovery just after showing the android sing for a while I'm restoring my device right now

Guest Letterbox115

It surely was slow, but it's sitll amazingly awesome ;)

One of my friends asked me in school a couple of days a go:

-Do you think your phone wil get Gingerbread? and I went like:

-Lol, OFC not , it's just for high-end phones! but then you came and made the unbelievable again. You should be called "Messias of U8220"! :P

Btw, I got a random restart :/

Guest add.thebad
OMFG... TOM you should change your nick to GOD.

I mean c'mon... is this guy amazing or what!?

agreed +++1

booting now!!! the excitement of a geek!

Guest Simon O

Hey any Pulse owners able to record a video of Gingerbread running on the Pulse and upload to Youtube please? Would be very useful as a few people don't quite believe it's real. I've been tweeting about this and wouldn't surprise me if a couple of websites pick up on this ;)

(kind of wish I had a Pulse still now)