Froyo kernel source request

Guest xaueious

Guest xaueious

What's the status on the Froyo kernel source right now? Does someone have an update? Did someone bother to email them at all? It's been a while waiting

I didn't bother contacting them because I thought someone would have done it already...

Edited by xaueious

Guest xaueious

Did we actually bug them to get the Eclair one?

I thought some dev would have hopped on this already. That's why I'm asking. I don't want multiple requests going in.

Guest noxwell

Let's every people in the forum "bombard" acer tech support with requests, and they will give us sources ;)

Edited by noxwell

Guest jayziac

I thought some dev would have hopped on this already. That's why I'm asking. I don't want multiple requests going in.

Actually multiple requests probably will have a bigger impact, one request with multiple signatures is too easy to ignore or 'delete' in their inbox. Multiple requests, scattered overtime is more of a nuance ;)

Guest HustlinDaily

The Eclair one was released pretty quickly. There may have been a request to get the Donut kernel but that was before my time so I can't tell you.

Guest HustlinDaily

Lol I just asked on Acer's Facebook only to realize that somebodyasked hours before I did

Acer said this:

"Acer ‎@Jespur Lundgren: Hi there! Not quite sure about what you refer to as Kernel. We are not releasing the source code but a single automatic installer package. Did we answer your question?

Yesterday at 10:47am · Like · "

He said this:

"Jesper Lundgren No you did not answer my question, by licence you are obligated by law to release the underlying linux kernel source code that is used in this new release or acer will break the GPL license.... and just to comment about the performance. first of all when I bought my liquid there was acer did not mention about more ram in liquid E, it was added in last minute if I knew I would have bought liquid E.... and also I have built Android from source and deployed it on my liquid and the performance is excellent. If Acer is having problem with the performance then I believe you need to get new programmers because they are doing a lousy job.... Just give me the kernel source and I do it myself....

23 hours ago · Like · "

And Acer has yet to respond to this!

Btw the part I did not add was Acer saying that FroYo isn't released for A1 because A1 doesn't have RAM to handle it (LOL)

Edited by HustlinDaily

Guest Intenso74
He said this:

"Jesper Lundgren No you did not answer my question, by licence you are obligated by law to release the underlying linux kernel source code that is used in this new release or acer will break the GPL license.... and just to comment about the performance. first of all when I bought my liquid there was acer did not mention about more ram in liquid E, it was added in last minute if I knew I would have bought liquid E.... and also I have built Android from source and deployed it on my liquid and the performance is excellent. If Acer is having problem with the performance then I believe you need to get new programmers because they are doing a lousy job.... Just give me the kernel source and I do it myself....

23 hours ago · Like · "

And Acer has yet to respond to this!

Lol.

Take that acer!

Acer ‎@Jespur Lundgren: Hi there! Not quite sure about what you refer to as Kernel. We are not releasing the source code but a single automatic installer package. Did we answer your question?

;) :lol: :lol: :) :P :P ;)

Guest Winston Ma

1. I just wonder if Acer updated the kernel from Eclair to Froyo? They are both 2.6.29...

2. Is it possible for us to 'upgrade' the kernel by ourselves? Here is my thought

a. Download "Kernel 2.6.29" which is the Eclair kernel

b. Go to Kernel.org, download the patch and we apply the patch against the Android kernel

Edited by Winston Ma

Guest Master_T
1. I just wonder if Acer updated the kernel from Eclair to Froyo? They are both 2.6.29...

2. Is it possible for us to 'upgrade' the kernel by ourselves? Here is my thought

a. Download "Kernel 2.6.29" which is the Eclair kernel

b. Go to Kernel.org, download the patch and we apply the patch against the Android kernel

I'm no expert on linux at all, so I may be totally wrong, but I think drivers are compiled and linked against a certain kernel, which means they won't link against a different one... am I correct or I just pulled that out of my ass? Can anyone with more expertise than me clarify?

Guest Winston Ma
I'm no expert on linux at all, so I may be totally wrong, but I think drivers are compiled and linked against a certain kernel, which means they won't link against a different one... am I correct or I just pulled that out of my ass? Can anyone with more expertise than me clarify?

Drivers are linked and compiled against a certain kernel if this is a library format. If it's source code (like the one on Acer web site) we can compile the driver for that specific version of kernel, then link against the updated kernel.

If we download the old source code, compile it and apply the kernel on the Froyo release. Would it be okay? I don't know how to compile the kernel but I wonder if it would work...

Edited by Winston Ma

To upgrade the kernel to 2.6.32 or even higher (2.6.36) is fully possible but recurses a lot of work and great knowledge.

I have personally tried but wasn't even able to get it to compile after a weekend of work, and then it probably wouldn't boot without much more work. Not to speak about every driver...

Guest jayziac

I think even Acer is too lazy to recompile a newer kernel since the official Froyo still has 2.6.29 when it's supposed to come with 2.6.32. And Gingerbread is supposed to have even more updated kernel.

Guest Winston Ma
To upgrade the kernel to 2.6.32 or even higher (2.6.36) is fully possible but recurses a lot of work and great knowledge.

I have personally tried but wasn't even able to get it to compile after a weekend of work, and then it probably wouldn't boot without much more work. Not to speak about every driver...

hahaha I totally agree. Its possible but it would be tough. So Acer is not updating the kernel at all. That's why I vbelieve 2.1 and 2.2 actually share the same kernel. Therefore if any smart guy could download the source from Acer, compile and apply the kernel to Froyo release it would be awesome. Why? Cause we could modify the CM kernel based on what we have. Then we can have a more stable port of CM. And by following CM we could update Acer liquid to latest Android version.

By the way I would like to know how could we apply the compiled kernel to our current device. Is there any tutorial? Thanks

Edited by Winston Ma

Guest koudelka

Acer has most certenly modified the kernel for 2.2 this is why you do not see any overclock kernels for acer based 2.2 rom and why we have no wifi tether in custom 2.2 rom (although phh has added code for this himself but i have not managed to get it working.) Even for 2.1 i think acer did not release the code they use, if i remember correctly so did phh some investigation and found it was not the same kernel as acer use.( most notably fast dormancy was missing) i belive he sent acer technical email explaining the situation but i am not sure he got an answer.

Guest umair9001
Acer has most certenly modified the kernel for 2.2 this is why you do not see any overclock kernels for acer based 2.2 rom and why we have no wifi tether in custom 2.2 rom (although phh has added code for this himself but i have not managed to get it working.) Even for 2.1 i think acer did not release the code they use, if i remember correctly so did phh some investigation and found it was not the same kernel as acer use.( most notably fast dormancy was missing) i belive he sent acer technical email explaining the situation but i am not sure he got an answer.

Or might b acer din't understand him.. ;) (community devs r far better then oem's)

Guest jayziac

Does this mean official Acer kernels have fast dormancy feature in their kernels? if so that's pretty cool. I read about this in the news about iOS having it and thought if only my Android had it too...

Guest Master_T

If they aren't releasing the true kernel they use, it's probably because they're violating some license in their code ;) However, as stated before, they're obliged by law to release the kernel source in one form or another... we should really start bugging them.