Do you need Clockwork Recovery Installed to install 1.4.6

Guest s1xth

Hello All...

I am new the streak scene but have been doing a ton of reading here and on xda. I am about to start the process of flashing my streak to 1.4.6 from ATT 1.6 using the guides here and with the "what's there to learn about the Dell streak" document that is stickied. The only question that I have is about clockwork recovery. Is it absolutely required to have installed to be able to flash Roms? None of the guides that I read mention "when" you should install this when running ATT 1.6 and upgrading to Steves 1.4.6. Should I install clockwork recovery while on 1.6? I need to root the device to that correct or is neither needed to upgrade the device? I read the stickys here and it is not mentioned....

Thank you in advance!!

Hello All...

I am new the streak scene but have been doing a ton of reading here and on xda. I am about to start the process of flashing my streak to 1.4.6 from ATT 1.6 using the guides here and with the "what's there to learn about the Dell streak" document that is stickied. The only question that I have is about clockwork recovery. Is it absolutely required to have installed to be able to flash Roms? None of the guides that I read mention "when" you should install this when running ATT 1.6 and upgrading to Steves 1.4.6. Should I install clockwork recovery while on 1.6? I need to root the device to that correct or is neither needed to upgrade the device? I read the stickys here and it is not mentioned....

Thank you in advance!!

Do you need clockwork, depends what part of the upgrade process you're on.

From official 1.6 to official 2.2, no.

From official 2.2 to any of Stephen's ROM, Yes.

Do you need clockwork, depends what part of the upgrade process you're on.

From official 1.6 to official 2.2, no.

From official 2.2 to any of Stephen's ROM, Yes.

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it. I will be going from ATT 1.6 > O2 1.6 > O2 2.1 > Steves 1.4.6. At what point in this process should I install Clockwork? Prior to doing anything while still running 1.6?

Guest offthahorse
Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it. I will be going from ATT 1.6 > O2 1.6 > O2 2.1 > Steves 1.4.6. At what point in this process should I install Clockwork? Prior to doing anything while still running 1.6?

after 02 1.6, before steves 1.4.6

I never did it this way because I took the long way...

Beta AT&T 1.6 to Modaco R1 1.6 to Leaked O2 2.1 to Stephen's 1st ever beta version and whatever else came between it and 1.4.6. So if you wanna hold off till you get confirmations from others, by all means, please do...BUT, IMO, fastest way for you is from AT&T 1.6 to Untouched Official 2.2 Dell Froyo (available courtesy of Stephen) Link : http://android.modaco.com/content-page/323...ouched/page/20/

-------------

QUOTE(primehack @ Nov 19 2010, 15:48)

locate the fastboot-windows.exe or fastboot.exe directory and put the 3 files together as same directory. then execute it by this command :

fastboot or fastboot-windows.exe -i 0x413c flash boot boot.img

fastboot or fastboot-windows.exe -i 0x413c flash system system.img

fastboot or fastboot-windows.exe -i 0x413c flash amss amss.mbn

-------------

Once it loads, then you should be able to flash Stephen's 1.4.6 + Baseband. (Insert custom Recovery Here before you flash any of Stephen's ROM)

(Stock ROM = Stock Recovery)

(Custom ROM = Custom Recovery)

Can anyone with AT&T locked device confirm this? Or Stephen perhaps?

Wow I was not aware you can go straight from 1.6 to official 2.2 without going to the u2 releases first. Can anyone confirm this process for me? I may still do it the long way though. I notice the above post also mentioned going straight from O2 1.6 to steves 1.4.6....was not aware that was possible either...

I am so confused with this flashing procedure. I think I have read TOO many flashing procedures that it has me all confused. I just read about "Streakmod Recovery" over at XDA that seems to be the better Recovery program to load. If I am able to get to O2 1.6 I think I will try flashing Streakmod Recovery, and then continue to O2 2.1 and to Steve's 1.4.6. There are so many posts all over the place, I am going to stick with the sticky document and try that first.

Edited by s1xth