WLAN/Mobile-Data Both On Simultaneously

Guest jamoiholland

Guest jamoiholland

I've never had this on any other Android phones I've owned, but for my Defy it seems the WLAN is on and connected, but it hasn't disconnected the mobile data connection. If I disable and re-enable WLAN, it correctly disconnects mobile data, but within half hour it will reconnect mobile data even though WLAN is still connected! WLAN sleep policy is set to "never".

I appreciate it could be some other setting, or even an installed app that is causing this, so although I'd love to know if anyone knows how to fix this, I'd also love to know how to go about finding the root cause myself (logs, debugging, etc)

Cheers!

Edited by jamoiholland

Guest jamoiholland
Strange, I get the normal expected behaviour on mine!

P

Yeah I did too to start with, that's why I'm wondering if an app is doing it. I'd like to think one could look at logs, or turn on some kind of debugging to find the offending setting/app, as opposed to random trial and error uninstalling/setting tweaking of every app...

Guest jamoiholland

Now I'm wondering if it's something to do with the Data Timeout settings in Battery Profiles, but I'm not at home today and i'll have to wait until the weekend to get back and test that theory!

Now I'm wondering if it's something to do with the Data Timeout settings in Battery Profiles, but I'm not at home today and i'll have to wait until the weekend to get back and test that theory!

did some testing with various settings in data manager and battery manager and can't create this issue on mine. I reckon its something to do with an app. I would uninstall all user apps and reinstall one by one testing each time.

Guest jamoiholland
did some testing with various settings in data manager and battery manager and can't create this issue on mine. I reckon its something to do with an app. I would uninstall all user apps and reinstall one by one testing each time.

Bummer, but thanks for the info anyway. I hoped of course it wouldn't come to going through each app :) Oh well!

Guest bobbyphoenix

Just recently pick a Defy up, and after the second day, I get the same thing. Both symbols are showing in the status bar. Only by turning off Wi-Fi, and then turning it back on, does it show only one at a time. Doesn't seem to interfere with operations, but I would like to know why it does it.

Guest jamoiholland
Just recently pick a Defy up, and after the second day, I get the same thing. Both symbols are showing in the status bar. Only by turning off Wi-Fi, and then turning it back on, does it show only one at a time. Doesn't seem to interfere with operations, but I would like to know why it does it.

Fancy sharing your appbrain list, maybe a common app we both have is causing this?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest jamoiholland

I've had the settings in "Battery Manager -> Battery Profile" set to "Performance Mode" for the last few weeks and haven't seen this problem since, so I'm guessing that's the root cause. I might try one of the other modes again to prove this, but I'm managing the power consumption in other ways so I don't really need Motorola's help here, that leaves me with Wifi AND Mobile Data turned on simultaneously!!

• 2 months later...
Guest hazi1964

I'm so glad somebody has posted about this.

I have the exact same problem and it's a major niggle. It started right from day one before I had installed any apps. I noticed that my data usage was over double on the Defy compared to my usage on my Desire.

I use Juice Defender but even that doesn't fix it. I checked all the battery settings and the mobile data connection is set to always on during peak hours. I'm assuming this could be the problem so will need to experiment.

Meanwhile to combat too much data usage, I have installed APNdroid with a homescreen widget and manually turn the mobile data connection off when I am at home and turn it on again when I go out.

To me this is a pain as my Desire never had this issue except with one custom rom which I ditched and found a better one. However, my Defy isn't rooted yet so can't mess about with that.

I sometimes use instant messaging clients so want my connection to remain intact when I am out and about but have found that the mobile data is either connected or not connected unless I use the apndroid widget and do it manually.

Hope I haven't just burbled a lot of rubbish here. Will let you all know if I should come up with a proper solution.

Alison

Guest hazi1964

Been reading through all the topics and just found this thread here

http://android.modaco.com/content/motorola...data-bandwidth/

I'm about to check to see if there is any gallery issue. Am wondering if the setting for contact pics for contacts that are on facebook is what's causing the connection issue.

What I mean is, when I was setting up my phone, there was a setting somewhere to use the profile photo for my contacts who are linked to facebook. I selected yes for this so am going to try and find the setting and change it.

I hope that makes sense, can't seem to get my wording right today. lol

Alison

Guest hazi1964

Hi again, I have just been looking at my phone and have started a new thread Data connection/gallery data, possible solution. I meant to post as a reply here but messed up. Perhaps the mods might be kind enough to move it to this thread.

Thanks

Alison

Guest jamoiholland
I'm so glad somebody has posted about this.

I have the exact same problem and it's a major niggle. It started right from day one before I had installed any apps. I noticed that my data usage was over double on the Defy compared to my usage on my Desire.

I use Juice Defender but even that doesn't fix it. I checked all the battery settings and the mobile data connection is set to always on during peak hours. I'm assuming this could be the problem so will need to experiment.

For me the problem of finding WiFi and mobile-data on simultaneously is nailed on as the battery settings. Leave it on "performance mode" and it's fine.

Guest hazi1964

Well, my theory didn't work. Up until around 2pm I was at home and wifi was connected, no mobile data connection, working well at that point.

Went out, wifi cut out, mobile data did not cut in until I manually "told" it to.

Came home, wifi didn't come on, mobile data stayed on, went into wifi settings and it showed that there was an error/problem connecting, tap here to try again, I did and it connected. Mobile data did not turn off.

I've had the setting for the battery set to performance mode as suggested but it's made no difference.

I am now totally disappointed with the Defy and am going to take it back to the shop tomorrow, though I doubt I will get anywhere as they have a no returns policy, once you walk out of the store, you are committed for the two year contract.

I can't even switch the phone on now as it's using the mobile data all the time and not only will that use up my data allowance, it drains battery alot faster.

If it wasn't for this and the problems I am having using the internal email client, I would be happy with the phone. I even tried an automatic network switcher and also tried juice defender and neither managed to solve the problem.

Rant over I think, sorry to moan, am just so very disappointed.

Alison