Dell new official rom 8-12-2010

Guest jeffrey2000

Understood. But your response makes me feel like I have a reasonable level of understanding to give it a go :)

Thanks!

Ed

I was able to do that method to go from 2.1 to this 2.2 build, so my guess it would work for 1.6 as well.

Guest Ed Venture
tbh I would do it that way.. but I can't guarantee it would work, as I've not done it personally, and Unless I do something myself I'm not going to say its perfectly safe :)

Well - I didn't get past step 3 where I flashed the recovery image. I boot to recovery and try to install the Update.pkg and I get a black screen and nothing else.

Any thoughts?

Guest chrisrotolo
Watchdog lite shows the following launch after a reboot (excluding apps I have installed, I only run 1 widget: the supplied 'power control'):

Quickoffice

Music

Gallery

Settings

Voice dialler

Market

Amazon MP3

Google Search

Gmail

Assistant Free

Dell Stage

Dell Sync pwd by nero

com.dell.stage.widget.social (I don't use FB/Twitter/social media)

So how do I stop this crap from loading on every boot? Couldn't the majority be launched on demand?

Will try killing all of these & see if this is what's affecting battery life...

a nifty little program called ...startup manager or something similar :)

Watchdog lite shows the following launch after a reboot (excluding apps I have installed, I only run 1 widget: the supplied 'power control'):

Quickoffice

Music

Gallery

Settings

Voice dialler

Market

Amazon MP3

Google Search

Gmail

Assistant Free

Dell Stage

Dell Sync pwd by nero

com.dell.stage.widget.social (I don't use FB/Twitter/social media)

So how do I stop this crap from loading on every boot? Couldn't the majority be launched on demand?

Will try killing all of these & see if this is what's affecting battery life...

delete the apks from system/bin (you need to be root) that you dont want.. (or better move them to a backup folder)

However several of those are useful and part of the android os..

Guest Polymorphic169
Fards,

I posted this over on the 309 thred, but it crosses content of this thread as well. Can you tell me if my approach below should work? I had a bad near brick experience with my old Streak that DJSteve had to help bail me out of with the QDLTool and I am hoping to avoid that with this, but I am desperate to get back to a functional OS.

I am on a stock AT&T US Locked Streak - 1.6, build 6601, and baseband GAUSB1A111231. Here is what I am thinking of doing, but I am not 100% sure if it will work or not:

(1) rename the Streak_318_12821_00.pkg to Update.pkg (is it capital "U" or lower case "u" by the way?)

(2) copy the Update.pkg (or update.pkg) to the root of the SD card

(3) flash recovery via fast boot by doing the following:

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.img

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot -i 0x413c reboot

(4) reboot into recovery and apply the the update.pkg

(5) reboot and factory reset.

So, can I start from 1.6 and go straight to the 309 image then to 318, or do I need to move to O2 1.6, then to O2 2.1 before I can upgrade? I have been through all this with my old Streak which had to be sent back to Dell because it started doing regular and random factory resets. I promised myself I would wait on 2.2 until the update came straight from Dell, but I now hear that that could be more than a month away. I just can't take 1.6 anymore, especially since 2.2 has all the features and speed I require.

In short, I want to get to an official 2.2 as soon and as safe as possible, what is the best way to go from stock 1.6 as mentioned above?

I was on stock at&t 1.6, here is how I got to this 2.2

Go follow the instructions to get to O2 2.1 (fastboot the recovery image then install the pkg file (hold volume keys then power) you can skip 02 1.6 if you want.

Then fastboot the 309 fard recovery image, then install this pkg file doing it the same way you did the 02 2.1.

Wait like 10 minutes, boot into 2.2, then apply the APN settings for your 3g connection because it will not be there for AT&T.

Done. I tried going straight to this package, but I got a blank screen when doing the update, so had to go the 02 rom update.

Guest Ed Venture
Well - I didn't get past step 3 where I flashed the recovery image. I boot to recovery and try to install the Update.pkg and I get a black screen and nothing else.

Any thoughts?

Well - I got it to go coming from ATT 1.6 - but I had to take the long way around. I used homies guide to go from ATT 1.6 -> O2 1.6 -> O2 2.1 -> 2.2. I suspect I could have skipped the O2 2.1 - but I know others had success from that point, so I figured I would spend an extra 10 minutes to go through the process.

Thanks Fards for the 309 recovery!

Any thoughts?

Sounded like you have successfully updated to 318 but you didn't perform a "Factory Reset" in the recovery mode (hold down both volume while powering up. Once you factory reset, I am sure you 2.2 318 build will boot up

Guest Wonsanim
I installed this build over the 315 build by downloading the update manually using the link in the first post, going to downloads (from browser) and selecting the file. No problems at all and the browser redirect issue I was having (subscription-based apps could not go to Google for sign-in credential entry) is now fixed. Also, WunderRadio would not play on the 315 build but plays fine on 318 so I guess Dell has fixed a few bugs.

I try in Your way but no luck,I like to know is the problem is My recovery because My android system recovery utility still GAUSB1A120621 can you tell me if your is the same or different because carrier,device looks more or less the same.

Guest terewong

Installed 318_00, it really fixes the web redirect problem in browser but I found 318_00 has more conflicts with apps even worst than the past 315_00 environment, eg. lost of data activation control in Juice Defender, more force close are happened.

Guest MrGPhantome

Posted this is Fard's thread, but I'll post it here to try and increase my chances;

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I'm new to the world of ROM flashing and fastbooting, but I have an idea how to safely do thats stuff.

I need help with specifics though, since my problem is technique it's just procedural order.

As of now, I'm running a Dell streak with o2 Android 2.1, build 8105 with a basband 21.

I want to upgrade to the official 2.2, so I rooted the 309 recovery.img and put the 318 pkg and called it update.pkg on my root sd.

However, haven't had luck since I'm getting a mismatch fota report. I tried just upgrading to the 309 update but it failed the same way too.

I must be missing a step, and I was hoping this forum could help me fill in the pieces.

Thanks.

Guest sandjero
Hello All

If helps anyone!!!!

- I was running "untouched 2.2"

- Got recovery and flashed image 309 - FARDS THANK YOU

- Download, saved and renamed the file to my sd card - Update.pkg

- Running the new version but:

- Still getting "too many redirects" when accessing www.uol.com.br - for example

BUT FOR THE FIRST TIME FILMING WITH 720P DID NOT GET FORCE CLOSE

* when calling proximity sensor not working - have to hit power button to open the screen.

- I can use WI-FI without have to switch on and off every time I go outside for a fag.

**Correction: after leave phone alone it goes to "sleep" and have to turn on and off wifi. not very good.

- Still get "too many redirects" any suggestion ??

Edited by sandjero

here's the changes to the prop files..

seperated into the folders they go in. you obviously need root to use them, and use adb push...

the files to remove are most of apks without odexes in system/app/ leave in those you find a use for

feel free to look at the files to check the changes.. I set the location to GB which may effect the swype but I'm not sure yet

EDIT

the local.prop is causing the swype (and settings) issues, delete all the media section out of that before pushing it if you want to use it otherwise ignore it, the other tweaks in local.prop increase network speed (FOR SOME NETWORKS, NOT ALL ) so its' not essential.

Is it normal that after aplying your files i cannot change keyboard anymore?

My battery seems also to be really poor.

Guest All3gro97

Hi guys

Is it possible to go from Steve's 1.4.6 to this build ? If so can anyone detail the steps or point me in the direction of the posts that contacin the detail?

many thanks

**Edit - I flashed Fard's 309 recovery image and then renamed the official update to Update.pkg then applied update - took me from Steve's excellent 1.4.6 to this...will compare..

Edited by All3gro97

went from Miui back to 1.4.6 and the on to this official build. Only thing need to change was the recovery. Quite liking the new Dell build. Seems much snappier once you ditch the dell stage ui which, whilst a bit quicker is still not exactly Gazelle like.. No bugs so far, in fact not one single crash 8o..Will leave it on til Steve CM drops. Fair play Dell, you seem to be getting marginally better at this game.

Guest MrGPhantome

Ok so, I got 2.2 working just fine... but the orientation is upside down...

How the hell is that possible? How do I fix it more importantly?

Also, I need to root the phone and I got a little cozy with androot. What root method should I use now?

Ok so, I got 2.2 working just fine... but the orientation is upside down...

How the hell is that possible? How do I fix it more importantly?

Also, I need to root the phone and I got a little cozy with androot. What root method should I use now?

SuperOneClick mate

@betono, Cool thanks for the recommendation on rooting.

You wouldn't happen to know how to fix my orientation problem.... would you?

Sorry mate, can`t help you with this one

Would anyone be able to tell me if this ROM will work on an ATT locked Streak? I havent seen anyone post if this will work or not....trying to decide if I should go to Steve's 1.4.6 or this...

Is it normal that after aplying your files i cannot change keyboard anymore?

My battery seems also to be really poor.

Read what you quoted, especially the bit after the

Edit

@betono, Cool thanks for the recommendation on rooting.

You wouldn't happen to know how to fix my orientation problem.... would you?

Try A factory reset, if not a reflash....

Guest ashdragon
Would anyone be able to tell me if this ROM will work on an ATT locked Streak? I haven't seen anyone post if this will work or not....trying to decide if I should go to Steve's 1.4.6 or this...

Pretty sure it isn't gonna work on a locked unit any better than any of the other official builds.

I'd say the reason no one has mentioned it is that they have just assumed that most people were aware of this by now, or possibly that no one has actually tried to do it, assuming that it just won't work :)

so far I'm pretty happy with this build on mine. Still not 100% convinced on the battery life being fixed, but having said that i had the phone in a few areas earlier where reception was almost non existent so i think it would have been burning through the battery trying to get a signal. Doesn't seem to be discharging unnecessarily while on standby so far though.

Fards, Which stuff in your modded files pertains to the hopeful battery life improvements? I'm still only using the build.prop and sysctl.conf files you changed but if the mods in the other files are supposedly where the battery improvements come into play i might try them as well?

Guest llecaroz

Was previously in 2.2 315...

1—installed 318 pkg without any error :)

2—restarted

3—Emergency recovery mode appeard :)

4—phone stucked at dell boot logo

5—did a factory reset

6—no way: black screen

7—reflashed a new time 318 pkg

8—ouf youpi abracadabra : ok

First lesson on 00—eu phones... : do a reset factory before flashing.... Otherwise you will be in the situation that i described just above...

The bad news .... No more root eithet with z4root or androot... will try as described in this thread with superoneclick

Guest DavidLPeng

Since no one has mentioned it, I'd like to point out that if you're trying to setup ActiveSync connection to Microsoft Exchange 2010 Server for your email (corporate email) it might not be successful due to unsupported policy. If the server checks for 15 minutes timeout policy, then your connection will be rejected by the server with the generic error: "Setup could not finish - Unable to open connection to server". However, if you got to the OWA version of your corporate email it will have details such as:

Device language:Not Available

User agent:Android/0.3

Access state:

Access Denied

Access set by:Security Policy Application

Policy applied:

CorpMobileDevicePasswordPolicy15Min - Not applied

Policy updated:Not Available

ActiveSync version:12.0

Apparently it's a known issue and Google has acknowledge it as well. So, stay away from this newer build if you need to connect to Exchange 2010 with such policy.

Here's for reference: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11272

Older builds are ignoring this policy and just mom when Exchange server asks if the policy is implemented so I was able to connect to my email server. But this newer build apparently says not supported so my email server rejects my connection. Time to downgrade....

I've noticed this for all the official 2.2 build for US.