latest firmware I9000XXJPU is out - Version 2.2.1!!!

Guest darychia

Guest NZtechfreak
latest firmware I9000XXJPU - Version 2.2.1 spotted here : http://www.samfirmware.com/WEBPROTECT-i9000.htm

:)

Been on it since yesterday, very positive so far.

Disabled Voodoo lagfix, flashed with Odin, factory reset, flashed Chainfire Root (restores 2e recovery, clockworkmod compatible, and Roots), Titanium Backup to restore apps and then a while getting everything up to speed again.

So far impression are very favourable indeed.

Speed is good, but then it always is post flash, although thats with ~95 apps installed after Titanium was done, so still gives me a good feeling about how this will perform over time. I'm getting ~1100 on Quandrant with this one, for whatever thats worth.

Lots of little bugfixes that I really like in here - default player now reads playlist files, setting custom ringtones to individual contacts from the default player finally works, I read that subtitles now work in the video player, 339MB RAM free at boot on this firmware. TouchWiz seems a lot more decent, although I quickly got LauncherPro Plus running of course, but it now has the Sense-styled leap view (and you can rearrange the preview cards, which is nice and needed in LauncherPro). Press Reader app works.

Sadly still no LastFM scrobbling with the inbuilt player, so I guess its still WinAmp for me at the moment.

They still haven't fixed the camera app so that you can turn off geotagging if you wanted to, its enabled by default.

There is the usual post-flash enthusiasm for the GPS at XDA, will see how it performs tomorrow with Run.GPS now that I'm cycling to work again (on JPK I found it fine for navigation, but it struggled with tracking activities this week - it was either fine or awful, restart would fix it though).

Browser speed is improved, but now get the dreaded checkerboard pattern on scrolling before pages fully load, and they still haven't fixed zoom reflowing properly. Overall I'll take the speed though.

Only app incompatibility casualty so far appears to be BattStatt, which just sits there saying loading the whole time. Will email the dev (brilliant text widget for battery).

Guest NZtechfreak

Used Run.GPS to track my cycle to and from work today - GPS seems much better. The track on the way to work when it was really overcast and the phone was in my jacket pocket was just OK, but the one on the way back with a clear sky and the phone in my bag (pocket at the top of the bag) was perfect. Very pleasing.

Guest NZtechfreak

In this update I can now confirm that subtitles definitely work in the inbuilt player - just watched a little of a 720P MKV with subtitles on JPU. Sweet. My bloody PS3 can't even play those! To be clear those were included in the video file (but not embedded/hardcoded in the picture), also watched a divx with external subtitles and that works too.

EDIT: Even better than I thought - in settings there are now subtitle options - you can choose text size and colour and even change how they are sync'd - so if there are sync issues you can fix them from within the app! Brilliant.

Guest grrwuff

Great news..

...but i'm a newbie on soft- and firmware issues, and have only used KIES to upgrade to FROYO 2.2.

Should I wait for KIES to supply 2.2.1, or is there other "safe" options?

Thanks

Great news..

...but i'm a newbie on soft- and firmware issues, and have only used KIES to upgrade to FROYO 2.2.

Should I wait for KIES to supply 2.2.1, or is there other "safe" options?

Thanks

Yep, very good rom indeed... it's never been this snappy for me without a lagfix or a custom kernel afaik. Definately worth the upgrade.

I've never used Kies before, and Odin never failed on me. So I'd say go on and flash JPU with Odin :)

It's very very hard to even brick your phone with the download mode AND recovery mode, so no need to be scared!

Guest hotsync
In this update I can now confirm that subtitles definitely work in the inbuilt player - just watched a little of a 720P MKV with subtitles on JPU. Sweet. My bloody PS3 can't even play those! To be clear those were included in the video file (but not embedded/hardcoded in the picture), also watched a divx with external subtitles and that works too.

EDIT: Even better than I thought - in settings there are now subtitle options - you can choose text size and colour and even change how they are sync'd - so if there are sync issues you can fix them from within the app! Brilliant.

hi, did you find a way to mantain the subtitle settings for all videos ?