Screen Protector

Guest MonkeyBoy451

Guest surly cat

Could someone please confirm that the official screen protector is made of three-layer PET, i.e. the kind that uses silicone (rather than sticky adhesive) and is much less prone to bubbles?

Guest MotherSpyder
Could someone please confirm that the official screen protector is made of three-layer PET, i.e. the kind that uses silicone (rather than sticky adhesive) and is much less prone to bubbles?

I have the official screen protector, bought instore from Currys on Thursday last week...

There was no info on the advent packaging re: the material used (at least, not that i noticed), but this

protector is of the older style.. i.e. plasticky and sticky. It was riddled with bubbles on my first application,

with a myriad of the tiniest dust imagineable - even though i was super careful. Managed to clean the

dust out on a one by one basis, and stroked the bubbles out with the provided cardboard square..

The few minor bubbles after that disappeared over 48 hours. As for the protector itself, it is perfectly

shaped to the Vega - i do mean perfectly - the camera hole is precut, the surface is esy to clean, and on

the whole it's been a worthy purchase (even if slightly over-priced).

Edited by MotherSpyder

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bluntslide

hey all!

first post and all that...

i purchased a vega for the wife but i cant stop using it myself, anyhooo, tried an ipad screen protector from the local pound shop and with a bit of trimming it just covers the display.

i cut along the circle that is for the button on the ipad and then took a little along the side. cant complain really for a pound!

Guest Bobbler
Screen protectors

Do the ipad protectors cover all? (after a bit of hacking)

No, basically the Vega is a good 3cm higher, that would equate to the border of the screen roughly, but as the Ipad has a big hole for the home button you would end up with that in the display area. Yuck!

Edit:

Maybe ignore me, the post above I missed.

Would like to see what it looks like, as above, surely this is a good bit too small in the height?

Edited by Bobbler

Guest andrewg12345
hey all!

first post and all that...

i purchased a vega for the wife but i cant stop using it myself, anyhooo, tried an ipad screen protector from the local pound shop and with a bit of trimming it just covers the display.

i cut along the circle that is for the button on the ipad and then took a little along the side. cant complain really for a pound!

Blunty, So are you saying the usable screen area is covered but not the black border? (upload a quick photo if you can)

Guest andrewg12345

Just found this APAD protector on ebay, what do we think. not a lot of details, looks like you just get the one sheet.

The a pad dimensions are quoted as

Apad 278mm x 185mm

Advent 274mm x 178mm

so an apad sheet looks oversized and would need trimming

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-10-Epad-APAD-Scr...=item3f05f4e79f

Edited by andrewg12345

Guest remlap
Just found this APAD protector on ebay, what do we think. not a lot of details, looks like you just get the one sheet.

The a pad dimensions are quoted as

Apad 278mm x 185mm

Advent 274mm x 178mm

so an apad sheet looks oversized and would need trimming

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-10-Epad-APAD-Scr...=item3f05f4e79f

The dimensions are listed it fits the Advent perfectly by measuring but not the bezel and camera perfect if you have a case.

Guest andrewg12345
The dimensions are listed it fits the Advent perfectly by measuring but not the bezel and camera perfect if you have a case.

Spotted the dimensions BUT Size is 22.25cm x 12.65 cm which sounds like it might be a 10inc netbook screen protector, so its going to cover the viewable screen area ONLY, NOT the whole unit area. I could live with that - for now.

Edited by andrewg12345

Guest TwoArmedBandit

I took the plunge and paid for the overpriced official screen protector at PC World last week.

After nail-biting ten minutes in the bathroom (good advice from another forum - less dust in there you see...) it's applied pretty well. There are only a couple of tiny dust spots away from the screen which I can live with. My only issue is that it is such a 'perfect fit' for the actual size that mine is actually slightly raised up against the edge of the device on one side, even though it's within 1mm of the edge on the other. I don't dare to lift it up to trim the edge in case I ruin the otherwise excellent finish.

I have to say I like the matt finish on the screen - greasy finger prints are far less prominent, although I've yet to clean it since fitting, so I'm not sure whether those that do show can be removed.

Guest radarrod
Has anyone got a picture of it fitted because I would be interested to see what the difference is and I am assuming that finger print issue are not so bad now?

I am not sure how much it helps but here are a few pics.

You can see (I hope) that the matt finish reduces glare.

post-720442-1294474587_thumb.jpg

post-720442-1294474605_thumb.jpg

post-720442-1294474617_thumb.jpg

post-720442-1294474629_thumb.jpg

post-720442-1294474640_thumb.jpg

Guest bluntslide
Blunty, So are you saying the usable screen area is covered but not the black border? (upload a quick photo if you can)

yep, just that. i just wanted a quick fix because at the time of purchasing, nothing was available.

i found there was slightly less reflection after fitting and fingerprints only visible when screen is off.

honestly though, if you have a poundland nearby, there is no harm in trying, just measure up the height of the screen before trimming.

if anything, its a good practice run for if you buy an official protector, can pick up a sleeve too while your there...bargain!

Guest Bobbler

Picked up ipad screen protector at my local pound shop too yesterday. As I feared it's going to look pap IMO and very likely to just look worse over time as the edge will keep catching on stuff because of it not covering the whole display. As a makeshift option it's not for me.

All it did was further highlight how expensive the proper one is.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jellywobbles
Finally got around to fitting the cheap epad screen protector works really well on the touch screen parts of the screen no black bezel like mentioned.

Was it this one that you bought?

In an earlier post you said you'd bought a stylus? Wasn't this any good?

Cheers

JellyW

Edited by jellywobbles

Was it this one that you bought?

In an earlier post you said you'd bought a stylus? Wasn't this any good?

Cheers

JellyW

It's good but I've stopped using it to much of a fiddle.

Guest lambrettalad

A tip to fitting these is to you water with a tiny amount of washing up liquid in it, mist this onto the screen then apply your protector. The liqud mix allows you to slide the protector about to get a good position and also makes it easier to squeeze the air bubbles out. Leave to dry, job done!

Maplins also sell a capacative touch screen stylus with a cleaning kit which works well.

Just fitted genuine protector but got 2 'edge bubbles' - as if the film is not stuck. Pressing sqeezes out the bubble but comes back when presure removed. The screen was scrupulously clean and I wore latex gloves - any way of re-sticking?? They are only ~ 1mm wide by 6mm long right on the edge, but worried that the film will start to peel of from them. Any ideas - please??

Today I put my screen protector on with a little water and washing up liquid. I squeezed all the water out and left to dry for a little bit. I then found that the screen was not responding unless I pressed really hard on it and the only part of the screen working normally was the left side when in landscape mode. The camera has steamed up on the inside so I think that there is some water inside.

Do you think that this can be fixed by drying? or will I have to take it back?

Guest extrememonkey
Today I put my screen protector on with a little water and washing up liquid. I squeezed all the water out and left to dry for a little bit. I then found that the screen was not responding unless I pressed really hard on it and the only part of the screen working normally was the left side when in landscape mode. The camera has steamed up on the inside so I think that there is some water inside.

Do you think that this can be fixed by drying? or will I have to take it back?

Good luck taking it back... Water damage is not covered in your warranty!!!

Best bet is to buy the largest bag of rice possible and put your Vega in it for a day. The rice should suck all the moisture out and be as good as new!!!

Thanks for the advice. It has started workng again after an hour or two, I guess it just needed drying. Althought the big bag of rice wouldn't be hard to get hold of as my parents own a chinese takeaway.

Guest extrememonkey

Back in the day I decided to take my old iphone for a swim..... Completely messed it up and couldn't get Apple to fix it because of there moisture sensor paper.

Phone didn't work for weeks until I put it to sleep over night in a bag of rice.... After 12 hours the iphone was as good as new....... Minus the red moisture paper!!!

Slightly off topic; sorry all.......

Guest heidthebaw
Finally got around to fitting the cheap epad screen protector works really well on the touch screen parts of the screen no black bezel like mentioned.

Which one did you get mate?