New Streak User - newbie questions...

Guest rvbarton

Guest rvbarton

Hello everyone! Thanks for having this forum! It looks like an excellent reference for the knowledgeable user, but unfortunately, I'm completely new to Android & the Dell Streak!

I've tried to search the forum for my answers prior to posting, but have been quite unsuccessful.

Hopefully one of your Guru's out there will take pity on my ignorance and lend me your insight...

***man I really sound like a booty-kisser! *** not my intention...

Here is the issue:

I have had my streak in my hand for 1 day, and I love it! It is however, locked to AT&T. Everywhere I read, I'm told I need to unlock it, but getting the unlock code is crazy hard! I've managed to get the unlock code from AT&T, but I don't know how to enter it. I'm still going to be using the phone on AT&T's network, so is there any reason to unlock the phone? I've tried to install a few programs off of the web (skype, skyfire), but am told they are not in the marketplace, therefore I cannot use them. My thought process was that if I unlock the phone, I'll be able to do whatever I want.

Do I need to flash the phone with a different version, perhaps?

Currently, my phone's baseband version is: GAUSB1A111231-us, Firmware verion is: 1.6. Kernel version is: 2.6.29-perf. OEM version is GAUSB1A111231. Build numer is: 6601.

Any thoughts? I could just wait until the 2.2 Froyo update comes out. I'm just irritated because I think I should be able to do more than what I''m doing now.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great day!

Guest Tim6772

To complete the unlock, just replace your sim with any non att and a box pops up, enter code and its done.

Spend a while reading the threads before jumping into flashing roms etc, its worth hanging back a while, well, was for me :)

And......Welcome to the Dark Side :)

I have had my streak in my hand for 1 day, and I love it! It is however, locked to AT&T. Everywhere I read, I'm told I need to unlock it, but getting the unlock code is crazy hard! I've managed to get the unlock code from AT&T, but I don't know how to enter it. I'm still going to be using the phone on AT&T's network, so is there any reason to unlock the phone?

If you're using it on AT&T there's not really any reason to unlock it, just keep the code incase you ever decide to sell it, if your streaks on 1.6 there are some apps that you won't be able to use and to use them you will need to change to 2.2 froyo, like Tim said just read everything you can from here and you should be good to upgrade yourself in no time. :)