I have to give Dell credit.

Guest ClippinWings

Guest ClippinWings

Broke my LCD, Glass intact, LCD under it is destroyed.

Called Dell Mobility and after a pleasant 10 minute conversation with one of their reps... A New Dell Streak is on it's way... No fuss, no hassle.

Now... Do I bother attempting to put 1.6 back on it? The LCD is almost completely unreadable, so it's a daunting proposition.... I'm thinking no. Simply because the broken screen has nothing to do with the OS (Which again kicks ass Stephen, thanks).

Anyone have experience here?

Edited by ClippinWings

Guest coronet
did you guys have to pay for the replacement? are either of you paying for any kind of phone insurance?

No, it's covered under the one-year warranty. It's a problem they've known about since the beta units. I should know... it happened to me. Three times... >_>

If you could at least roll back to O2 2.1 I know that's officially covered. I am pretty sure they just ship the units back to Taiwan, so maybe there's a level of communication lost, and it might not matter what crazy s*** you leave on your Streak for them to mend.

I've had trouble with some reps not knowing about the issue, but if you ask for the floor manager, they ALWAYS know what you're talking about and will waive it through.

Guest User Error
My cousin had no such luck with Dell. They told her the only option was to purchase a new Streak =/

Tell her to call back until she gets a Rep who will replace it, they should not have an issue with doing it, she might just have been unlucky and the Rep she talked to either was on a power trip or didn't know the policy.

No, it's covered under the one-year warranty. It's a problem they've known about since the beta units. I should know... it happened to me. Three times... >_>

If you could at least roll back to O2 2.1 I know that's officially covered. I am pretty sure they just ship the units back to Taiwan, so maybe there's a level of communication lost, and it might not matter what crazy s*** you leave on your Streak for them to mend.

I've had trouble with some reps not knowing about the issue, but if you ask for the floor manager, they ALWAYS know what you're talking about and will waive it through.

cool, thanks for the info!

Guest ClippinWings

Mine's an AT&T locked unit, so I don't think the O2 rom would work...

I have noticed that the display is getting worse as time goes by... it will likely be completely unreadable by the time I ship it back.

If that's the case, I won't even give it a second thought.

Guest lonegungrrly

just phoned them now for my friends o2 streak, they said they'd replace the screen for free once as a gesture of good faith. it does have 2.2 on it, so I'm hoping they replace the screen before they notice lol. the worst they can say is no!

Do you think Dell has a team of elves who fix broken Streaks? I bet they do it Apple style and just mail you a new phone. If they do replace the screen, it'll probably take them an eternity. :)

just phoned them now for my friends o2 streak, they said they'd replace the screen for free once as a gesture of good faith. it does have 2.2 on it, so I'm hoping they replace the screen before they notice lol. the worst they can say is no!

Guest ClippinWings
Do you think Dell has a team of elves who fix broken Streaks? I bet they do it Apple style and just mail you a new phone. If they do replace the screen, it'll probably take them an eternity. :)

They mail a new phone... BEFORE you send the broken one back.