Dell streak and annoing reboots.

Guest wgizmo

Hi,

Im using streak for good few months withot problems at all. On 1.6 never had problems like this. Its locked to o2 and i di upgrade to latest one 2.1 some time ago. Everything wos fine till like 3 weeks or even month ago random reboots started. No matter what i do its reboot randomly. Even just after reboot its rebooting one more time and can do it self 3 times in the role till work fine. Can use youtube or web browser for hour and nothing and can use just to check something on google website and bam reboot. Its locked to o2 then dunno should i go to one of the shops and ask what i should do or better is to send to service or something?

Do you have any ideas how to do it or how i can start recording some logs(how to do it) to post it here?

Need help. Best is more i use more often i get reboot. And longer its happening more reboots i get. Its like with flue which you dont heal its getting worse each day.

What i did so far:

I did Factory reset,

Restore all what i had on phone,

I took batter out,

dunno what i can do

Edited by wgizmo

Guest superutp
Hi,

Im using streak for good few months withot problems at all. On 1.6 never had problems like this. Its locked to o2 and i di upgrade to latest one 2.1 some time ago. Everything wos fine till like 3 weeks or even month ago random reboots started. No matter what i do its reboot randomly. Even just after reboot its rebooting one more time and can do it self 3 times in the role till work fine. Can use youtube or web browser for hour and nothing and can use just to check something on google website and bam reboot. Its locked to o2 then dunno should i go to one of the shops and ask what i should do or better is to send to service or something?

Do you have any ideas how to do it or how i can start recording some logs(how to do it) to post it here?

Need help. Best is more i use more often i get reboot. And longer its happening more reboots i get. Its like with flue which you dont heal its getting worse each day.

why dont u try flashing a diff ROM..

lol..just saw ur EDIT now...so u have tried a factory reset already..

Edited by superutp

Guest eimoaotl

You might want to try factory resetting but not do a restore - just install programs one at a time to try and catch the culprit. Also, try using clockwork mod and delete the dalvic cache. You may also want to try reflashing your 2.1 or flashing to streakdroid. If you still have problems notify Dell and get a replacement. Best of luck to you.

Guest brokenpixel

I used to have random reboots even with the backdoor latch hack. Turned out to be a faulty internal microSD, replaced with a random 2gb microSD and so far I've only had one "semi-mysterious" reboot but it was probably cause by a dodgy app. Have been running for over a month or two. But it is a temp fix until my new "faster" SD arrives.

Still the same. Worked fine on 2.2 o2 offcial froyo and the same reboots happening all the time. Yestarday i couldnt even swich on streak. After 13th time booted normaly. I did reflash of the froyo 2.2 o2 and no changes still i have random reboots. Did Quadrant test and with 2 first trys its fail and error crash lool. After 3rd time did whole test and score wos 836! Really need help. Dont know what to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been suffering the same random reboots problem too. Wasn't noticing it when on 1.6, started happening regularly on official 2.1, and now happening very frequently on official 2.2 build 318. The easiest way to trigger the problem is to play Angry Birds. The reboot frequently get stuck at the Dell logo and require removing battery cover, even that I have to repeat the process many times to get it to boot up again.

Tried all the suggestions on the web I can find, name card on battery cover, factory reset, flash different ROM, isolate apps one-by-one, turn off all connectivity (airplane mode), none of them work. I went to the extent of renaming linux reboot/init/halt commands to prevent the reboots, yet could not stop it from rebooting. Tried to analyse the android log files, but no useful information found.

My observation is that this is definitely not a hardware problem, not Android user apps problem, not wireless/3G connectivity problem. Likely to be OS kernel or some system service/app problem. Search the web and you will realize that this random reboots issue is happening on many Android devices, Motorola, HTC, Samsung, NexusOne, you name it, not just Dell Streak. So I believe it is an Android OS bug, and people have been complaining that Google has not been actively resolving this.

Just sharing my research and bumping up this thread. Hopefully someone can find a solution or workaround to this very irritating problem. It is killing me every time I use my Dell Streak intensively, and I no longer dare to show off my Streak to anyone, makes me look like a fool when it reboots on me.

Edited by pogele

Guest Pceasar
I have been suffering the same random reboots problem too. Wasn't noticing it when on 1.6, started happening regularly on official 2.1, and now happening very frequently on official 2.2 build 318. The easiest way to trigger the problem is to play Angry Birds. The reboot frequently get stuck at the Dell logo and require removing battery cover, even that I have to repeat the process many times to get it to boot up again.

Tried all the suggestions on the web I can find, name card on battery cover, factory reset, flash different ROM, isolate apps one-by-one, turn off all connectivity (airplane mode), none of them work. I went to the extent of renaming linux reboot/init/halt commands to prevent the reboots, yet could not stop it from rebooting. Tried to analyse the android log files, but no useful information found.

My observation is that this is definitely not a hardware problem, not Android user apps problem, not wireless/3G connectivity problem. Likely to be OS kernel or some system service/app problem. Search the web and you will realize that this random reboots issue is happening on many Android devices, Motorola, HTC, Samsung, NexusOne, you name it, not just Dell Streak. So I believe it is an Android OS bug, and people have been complaining that Google has not been actively resolving this.

Just sharing my research and bumping up this thread. Hopefully someone can find a solution or workaround to this very irritating problem. It is killing me every time I use my Dell Streak intensively, and I no longer dare to show off my Streak to anyone, makes me look like a fool when it reboots on me.

Why do you think it happens on some and not all streaks or phones? If it's os related

I used to have the occasional random reboot. Wasn't as frequent as some of you guys. But ever since I upgraded to Steve's 1.5.1, no more reboots. So maybe you should try that.

Why do you think it happens on some and not all streaks or phones? If it's os related

Yeah it puzzles me too. It could be some or combination of specific conditions that trigger it. The symptoms that trigger the reboots are so vast and illusive. And I pride myself in technical problem solving, yet couldn't even pin down the cause of this problem. Very frustrating.

I used to have the occasional random reboot. Wasn't as frequent as some of you guys. But ever since I upgraded to Steve's 1.5.1, no more reboots. So maybe you should try that.

That was an option for me, until I read that some people still getting random reboots after porting to Steve 1.5.1, not to mention various nitty-gritty issues with that ROM. I have absolutely no complains about the official 2.2 ROM, except for the random reboots. Thanks for the good news that it resolved the reboots for you, that gives me some hope.

Guest TheBigAK
That was an option for me, until I read that some people still getting random reboots after porting to Steve 1.5.1, not to mention various nitty-gritty issues with that ROM. I have absolutely no complains about the official 2.2 ROM, except for the random reboots. Thanks for the good news that it resolved the reboots for you, that gives me some hope.

I used to have regular random reboots on any ROM until I stuck a small piece of cardboard on my battery with double sided tape, close to where the pins connect to the battery, on the side touching the back cover. I am assuming that the tiniest bit of movement was causing the battery to lose connection to one or more of the pins and cause a reboot. Now on the official 2.2 I have not had a reboot at all and have not had to power down for days, even without a factory reset. Funny thing is this isn't the first time I have had to perform this mod, even an old Sony Ericsson Z600 phone of mine had the same issue! Seems like the designers can't come up with a solution of their own to keep the battery firmly in place...

Guest nanostreak

My wife's streak had random reboots and freezes with 1.5.0 and the first 1.5.1 that did not have the Ubuntu font. I recently upgraded both hers and mine to the most recent 1.5.1 and all funny behaviors are gone. I think this was not a hardware problem: the thing was just sitting there and suddenly rebooting.

In contrast my first streak which I returned had a loose battery and would reboot when put into a pocket which was not fixable with the cardboard trick. It later even started to do random factory resets.

I used to have regular random reboots on any ROM until I stuck a small piece of cardboard on my battery with double sided tape, close to where the pins connect to the battery, on the side touching the back cover. I am assuming that the tiniest bit of movement was causing the battery to lose connection to one or more of the pins and cause a reboot. Now on the official 2.2 I have not had a reboot at all and have not had to power down for days, even without a factory reset. Funny thing is this isn't the first time I have had to perform this mod, even an old Sony Ericsson Z600 phone of mine had the same issue! Seems like the designers can't come up with a solution of their own to keep the battery firmly in place...

thanks for the suggestion. Tried before, and just tried again to show my respect, still reboots randomly. I have encountered many random reboots when Dell Streak is untouched on the screen, be it holding on hand or lying on the table. So pretty sure my issue is not battery related.

I was in Best Buy today looking to buy another USB cord for my Streak (They don't sell them) and decided to play with the display Streak. Literally withing 5 seconds it rebooted. It gave me a chuckle.

Guest Pceasar

figured out what was causing my reboots..... Widget locker! Removed it and voila, I would have never thought it was this program but a fellow streak brother said it gave him issues, quite unfortunate really. Loved that proggy oh well. To those with random reboots with widget locker try removing it. I would have expected force closes but not reboots guess I'm learning more about android. Google should put in a safe mode to stop such mischief.

Guest wgizmo
figured out what was causing my reboots..... Widget locker! Removed it and voila, I would have never thought it was this program but a fellow streak brother said it gave him issues, quite unfortunate really. Loved that proggy oh well. To those with random reboots with widget locker try removing it. I would have expected force closes but not reboots guess I'm learning more about android. Google should put in a safe mode to stop such mischief.

where i should look for it?

Guest Pceasar
where i should look for it?

Its an actual program you would have gotten from the market so if the name doesnt ring a bell you probably dont have it and its not causing your issue.

Guest pogele

hi Edrill & nanostreak,

took your suggestion and bite the bullet to port to Steve's 1.5.1 ROM. After spending one full day (New Year Day no less) flashing various recovery images, ROMs, AMSS, QDLTool, StreakMod, whatever tips I could find on the web, finally overcame the freaking boot loops and successfully boot up 1.5.1. However, my joy and relief only lasted about 15min, where I encounter my first random reboot on 1.5.1 while accessing "http://nba.com/gameline" using Miren browser (I realized random reboots often happened on websites with heavy JavaScripting) . And the reboot stuck on the Dell logo forever, no less.

so there it goes, went from hell to heaven and back again. I am really exhausted, physically and mentally, and I don't even have Dell warranty to fall back to, as Dell Singapore already told me they are not honoring the warranty as I purchased from Dell UK thru eBay seller. I used to be a big fan of Dell products for its value for money, now I feel nauseous whenever I see that f**king Dell logo.

hi Edrill & nanostreak,

took your suggestion and bite the bullet to port to Steve's 1.5.1 ROM. After spending one full day (New Year Day no less) flashing various recovery images, ROMs, AMSS, QDLTool, StreakMod, whatever tips I could find on the web, finally overcame the freaking boot loops and successfully boot up 1.5.1. However, my joy and relief only lasted about 15min, where I encounter my first random reboot on 1.5.1 while accessing "http://nba.com/gameline" using Miren browser (I realized random reboots often happened on websites with heavy JavaScripting) . And the reboot stuck on the Dell logo forever, no less.

so there it goes, went from hell to heaven and back again. I am really exhausted, physically and mentally, and I don't even have Dell warranty to fall back to, as Dell Singapore already told me they are not honoring the warranty as I purchased from Dell UK thru eBay seller. I used to be a big fan of Dell products for its value for money, now I feel nauseous whenever I see that f**king Dell logo.

if u know the fastboot method , u r better off going to stock 318 for the time being.

THis version works well and with no issues. Once u r well versed with it for a few weeks u can try custom roms.

Another place for help is the #dellstreak irc channel. Hop in there and u r guaranteed to get help

Guest pogele
if u know the fastboot method , u r better off going to stock 318 for the time being.

THis version works well and with no issues. Once u r well versed with it for a few weeks u can try custom roms.

Another place for help is the #dellstreak irc channel. Hop in there and u r guaranteed to get help

if you read the entire thread, you will see that I was on stock 318 and happy with it except for the random reboots.