StreakDroid Performance Mod 1

Guest Stephen Hyde

wont boot :)

I think it's looking for the update files....I'd like to adb push them to the fat side of the sdcard...but I can't cause the sdcard need to be formated...

When formating from recovery OR after boot, it formats the entire sdcard removing any partitions I've created using fdisk. However either from adb shell from within OS or from recovery, I can see the ext4 partition /data sitting pretty...

...need to figure out how to format fat32 via adb....???

I've tried looking for mkfs or mkfs.vfat...but can't find any to push to /system/xbin....

Any ideas???

Guest Crinos512
I'm having a weird issue. I used gparted to partition my sd card. Then I completed the update successfully. After that, I setup my launcher pro home screens and configured some app settings. However when I reboot my streak, my home screens and settings are bask to the defaults.

getting the same here.

Yup theres an issue that all apps that store their info in sqlite db aren't saving their settings...

I've done the script manually and tried the v4 version and both have the issue for me

Guest c.russell
methinks i need to play with the script again to fix this, so id suggest people wait a while before trying this

Hi, I ignored the above advice :)

was determined to get this working. and i did!

all works, nice and fast and when i run mount in adb shell I can see the ext4 partition

at the same point as you guys now. if I reboot i loose some of me settings :)

damn me and my need to mess with things... lol

Guest c.russell

yea, dell stage social window forgets but email one works :)

quadrant 2083 - the IO being a nice big chunk on the graph at the end! be great if we can fix the sqlite issue - gonna have a mess

Guest BiboTheClown

Reached nearly 3000 in quadrant with this tweak...

It's evident that it's rocking like hell associated with overclocking, but these damned sqlite issue is still a "bit" annoying...

So strange that only these cannot be updated. I've tried to chmod 777 the adw one for testing and after reboot the shortcut to rootexplorer I've added previsously was... still there !!

Was it only the write permission to All ?

Will look further and post if that can fix the issue.

: EDIT :

Nope... Still not enough :)

: EDIT :: EDIT :

Why the hell the permissions I set on the db files are automatically removed once I change the settings in the application ???

As example :

#chmod 777 /firstboot/sqlite/org.adw.launcher

# ls -l /firstboot/sqlite/org.adw.launcher

-rwxrwxrwx app_0 app_0 10240 2010-12-14 17:44 launcher.db

... change icons number in adw to 6x6... exit settings... OK, I have 6x6 icons back on desktop...

Reboot...

...Back to 4x4...

check permissions :

-rw-rw---- app_0 app_0 10240 2010-12-14 17:44 launcher.db

:)

Edited by BiboTheClown

Guest spences10
Hi, I ignored the above advice :)

was determined to get this working. and i did!

Clearly you didn't get it working, if you did you wouldn't be losing your settings like everyone else.

I just went back to 1.5, it was fun looking at the high quadrant scores, but its not practical

Top work on this dj steve

Well....I got the damn thing partitioned correctly FINALLY!!!

IMPORTANT NOTES!!!

If you use ADB....

When you finished fdisk:

busybox fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1

The partitions will now be named /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 and /dev/block/mmcblk1p2...!!! ...not just /dev/block/mmcblk1

So make sure when you format the partitions you name them accordingly!!! All the posts above have these listed just as mmcblk1...!

mke2fs -j -L userdata /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 HAS to be the ext3 partition. AND ext3 DOES work!

If you have trouble with ADB....

Boot normally to the desktop...and don't reboot until the EVERYTHING is completed, meaning you have the perfmod3.zip copied....!!!

Use: MiniTool Partition Wizard

..it's free!

At first I unknowingly formatted the ext3 before the fat32, and of course that didn't boot. So once I switch the ext3 to the end, it worked!

Once the partitions are set...

adb push perfmod3.zip /sdcard/perfmod3.zip

at this point this should be the ONLY thing on your newly formatted fat partition!

If there are other folders like the android.secure, ect, ect...that means you rebooted AFTER you formatted the partitions...START OVER! ...saves yourself a headache!

Once /sdcard/perfmod3.zip is there....all should be set for reboot...

REBOOT.

Mine hung for about 5min at the dell logo...then rebooted on it's own... showing a blank screen for about 30sec....scared me at first...thought it had shut off....

The second boot took about normal boot period... and immediately got bunch of FCs from google stuff....and ADW was non exisitant!?! ...about 50% of my apps said they were installed on Market, had no desktop icons, but once I clicked on the app in market, it prompted me to install....wierd.

At this point I restored my sdcard backup with all my settings, ect...

Then rebooted again....

all my settings were NOT saved... my confirmation that I was in the "right place"...LOL.

I had to reinstall some apps to get rid of the FCs...most of them work now without issue.

SetCPU got FCs, but after a reinstall, it's all good. OC to 1190 good.

HOWEVER....

linpack reports 37-38...where as prior I was getting 39.

I've uninstalled quadrant standard twice but still can't get it to run. It gets to the run steps, but nothing happens.

I also have quadrant advanced installed. it won't run either, same. But I can't find where to uninstall it, not listed in market!?! I suspect this is hat's affecting the standard version...?

The reboots took the same amount of time as it did prior to all this...? The only speed increase I notice is the responsiveness of the desktop and apps....everything moves VERY nicely, quick :)

So basically....

The only proof that I'm at the "right place" as the rest of you is that:

I too get FCs and settings don't save

the 01dat2ext listed 755

the partition listed /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /data ext4

sdcard partition set to 13.77

744MB of internal storage

I want and probably need a reboot once more....but am scared....LOL!

I'm eager to fix these remaining issues to get it 100% working... phone seams REALLY stable :)

Reached nearly 3000 in quadrant with this tweak...

It's evident that it's rocking like hell associated with overclocking, but these damned sqlite issue is still a "bit" annoying...

So strange that only these cannot be updated. I've tried to chmod 777 the adw one for testing and after reboot the shortcut to rootexplorer I've added previsously was... still there !!

Was it only the write permission to All ?

Will look further and post if that can fix the issue.

: EDIT :

Nope... Still not enough :)

: EDIT :: EDIT :

Why the hell the permissions I set on the db files are automatically removed once I change the settings in the application ???

As example :

#chmod 777 /firstboot/sqlite/org.adw.launcher

-rwxrwxrwx app_0 app_0 10240 2010-12-14 17:44 launcher.db

... change icons number in adw to 6x6... exit settings... OK, I have 6x6 icons back on desktop...

Reboot...

...Back to 4x4...

check permissions :

-rw-rw---- app_0 app_0 10240 2010-12-14 17:44 launcher.db

:)

yup tried all that,

I suspect its because the settings are being written to cache but not saved to sdcard properly even though sync is in the script.. Which from what I understand should deal with it.

I haven't tried yet but I wonder if its because of the symlink for the proc/

Guest c.russell
Clearly you didn't get it working, if you did you wouldn't be losing your settings like everyone else.

I just went back to 1.5, it was fun looking at the high quadrant scores, but its not practical

Top work on this dj steve

No i got the mod in its current form working...

Havent had chance to play with fixing it yet. Too many xmas meals this time of year :)

I tested some tweaks to the partitions.... Went back to 1.5 for a bit there.....

And well... Is sucks! LOL SO slow and laggy... Now I really notice the enhanced performance!

We've got to make this mod work! I cant imagin goin back to play ol' 1.5...! LOL

Please.

Guest OrionBG

Just a thought...

Can't the original DATA partition be converted to EXT4? It will be cleaner than using the EXT SD card. BTW the INT 2GB SD card is really fast one! I've tested in in a card reader and it is faster than a Class 6 SDHC card!

Just a thought...

Can't the original DATA partition be converted to EXT4? It will be cleaner than using the EXT SD card. BTW the INT 2GB SD card is really fast one! I've tested in in a card reader and it is faster than a Class 6 SDHC card!

That was my thought as well..

But its the loop that gives the apparant speed boost

Btw gingerbread.appears to be using ext4 as stock for the internal fs :)

Guest OrionBG
That was my thought as well..

But its the loop that gives the apparant speed boost

Btw gingerbread.appears to be using ext4 as stock for the internal fs :)

Wat exactly is this loop? Can you explain (I have a good computer knowledge just my Linux skills are lacking!)

Guest Stephen Hyde

way the mod works is it uses an ext4 partition on ext sd then creates an ext2 file and mounts it loopback for /data/data folder (sqlite dbs etc) which is where the boost in performance is from