Couple of questions about update.pkg and update.zip?

Guest Terrigno

Guest Terrigno

Alright, I gotta ask these questions before I attempt to do it because Im nervious of screwing anything up.

When you install a ROM on your Device, you rename the file to update.pkg and put the phone in recovery and "install from update.pkg on sd card". Then you do that and everything is good to go. The new rom is loaded and all is well. The question is after I do that, is it ok to take the Update.pkg off of the SD card after I already updated to the new rom?

Now with update.zip. How do I install the update.zip file when in recovery mode it says "Install from update.pkg on sd card"? It doesnt say Update.zip?

I also took the update.pkg file off the sd and sit it on my desktop so android would just read the update.zip and not the update.pkg? Anyone please help me with these questions? Thank you so much

Also, the phone is shutting down and booting up with no problems with update.pkg off of the sd card. Is that ok?

Guest superutp

once u have installed using the update.pkg it doesnt matter if its in ur sd card or not...u can delete if you want....

as for update.zip goes...

u need to have flashed clockwork recovery....(i guess)

though the first option when booting into recovery will still say the same...once u go beyond tht (into clockwork) u will have to choose the zip you wanna install...and then follow instructions....

and if I am not wrong renaming it to update.zip doesnt matter...for e.g if u r flashing steve's 1.5 then u can let it remain as watver it was downloaded as (update-1.5.zip)

Guest Terrigno

Thank you, I appreciate that. Now if I install clockwork recovery then I guess that just stays there correct? What does that do put an option for clock work on the recovery screen that you normally see?

Guest superutp

well if u flash clockwork recovery it will install over the stock recovery....so until you flash the stock recovery back it will stay there...

the first recovery screen (volume buttons+power) is the same...after tht it changes to an alien green colour....:)...u then just have to choose the zip, then locate it on ur phone and then install..pretty simple...