Battery life in standby

Guest MarkoUK

Guest MarkoUK

Okay, I'm finding that my battery life in standby is garbage for some reason.

I've switched off Wi-Fi and don't have anything running when it fire it into standby.

It's only lasting 20 hours and has 84% battery use by "Device Standby". Which has a line saying "use by cell radio".

I noticed that some chaps on XDA had knocked this out of the Viewsonic G Tab and improved the battery life. Does this mean the Vega has the telephony stuff in the ROM and is it unnecessarily burning through the battery running some useless processes?

Some benchmark of battery life in standby from the rest of you on here would be appreciated.

Guest MarkoUK
Not sure how mine compares but I was at 99% at 9am today, then left on standby to now 9.30pm, 12.5 hours and it is at 90%. I think that isn't too bad.

That sounds brilliant compared to me!

I might just wipe and flash everything again. I'll monitor the battery life and install one thing at a time and see how it goes.

BTW, what are you running? I've got 1.04, performance pack and small notification bar/touch fix.

Guest MarkoUK
Im running 1.04 with r3 and performance pack. Not gone to the lastest version yet.

Hmm, wonder if that's the issue. Although not heard anyone else mention it on here.

Will have a play around with it and see how I get on.

Mine is pretty rubbish these days as well .. thought it might be because of ebuddy running in the background. But as above mine doesn't show that under battery usage only cell usage.

Even if I don't use mine very much its down to about 30% by the end of the day.

Guest debs626

I'm on 1.04 r4 and my battery is lasting on average for about 2 days, a lot less if I watch iplayer for any length of time. I have noticed that I use 10% overnight in suspend.

While were on the subject, I think I read somewhere that its better to run the battery flat rather than part charge it. This is supposed to prolong the life of the battery. Does this make sense ?

Edited by debs626

Guest MarkoUK
That was true for previous battery generations but I believe with li-on (?) Batteries it is best not to run them down.

very true on the battery technology but i think it has something to do with android battery status behaviour.

Guest removed-14
very true on the battery technology but i think it has something to do with android battery status behaviour.

Yeah the more you use it the more it learns? I cleared the battery stats on my htc desire today after flashing a new rom.

Guest debs626

I think that's an Android trait rather than a Vega one. My Xperia does the same. I've seen a video somewhere (think it was a tutorial for making android apps) and it stated that Android let the OS concentrate on what the user wants to do first (so we don't have to wait) then when the opportunity is available Android takes up spare resources.

I Wont bother running the battery flat any more then LOL Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Edited by debs626

Guest removed-14

Stopped browsing at around 11.30pm last night, left on standby for the next 8 hours and it is at 63%.

Looks like your lucky then mate .... might give mine a reflash at some point

Odd as usually the only luck I have with electronic gadgets is bad luck!

Guest MarkoUK
Looks like your lucky then mate .... might give mine a reflash at some point

Reflashed 1.04 and r4 and battery seems better now. Dont understand losing 10% in 7 hours on Standby so need to work that one out.

Guest dukla2000
Okay, I'm finding that my battery life in standby is garbage for some reason

I was away for the weekend and didnt have much time to play. From full charge thursday midnight dropped to 7% charge about 90 hours later with max 30 mins usage, the remainder in standby.

Guest MarkoUK
I was away for the weekend and didnt have much time to play. From full charge thursday midnight dropped to 7% charge about 90 hours later with max 30 mins usage, the remainder in standby.

Hmm, that's really good going. What ROM are using?

Guest Sir Gash

I have noticed a bit of an improvement in standby by switching on Airplane mode. I know this shouldn't be the case on the Vega but it seems to have helped!

You can still enable WiFi with Airplane mode on but not Bluetooth. There is a way around that as I have used it on my Desire but I haven't done it on the Vega yet.

Could somebody else try Airplane mode to see if it helps?

Guest MarkoUK
I have noticed a bit of an improvement in standby by switching on Airplane mode. I know this shouldn't be the case on the Vega but it seems to have helped!

You can still enable WiFi with Airplane mode on but not Bluetooth. There is a way around that as I have used it on my Desire but I haven't done it on the Vega yet.

Could somebody else try Airplane mode to see if it helps?

I might have to try that tonight.

Guest dukla2000
Hmm, that's really good going. What ROM are using?
Oops should have mentioned stock 1.0.4 as delivered. No Pauls mod nor performance yet as trying to get a proper before impression.

Guest MarkoUK
Oops should have mentioned stock 1.0.4 as delivered. No Pauls mod nor performance yet as trying to get a proper before impression.

Hmm, might revert back and see what I get from stock.

I don't think the mods Paul made should kick the @rse out of my battery like this.

I have to say, I think it's what people term as "standby". If I leave my vega without switching it off, I lose 10% in 8 hours. If I power it down, I lose almost nothing...

Guest MarkoUK
I have to say, I think it's what people term as "standby". If I leave my vega without switching it off, I lose 10% in 8 hours. If I power it down, I lose almost nothing...

You know what, you're spot on! I think I'm losing sight of the performance in standby.

I think I've went a bit mental because I'm making a comparison with my N1 in airplane mode. I think I should just switch the thing off in future as I really don't need it to be in standby.

I'm curious where they got the 4 days standby from but actually dukla probably gets that due to the claimed 90 hours.

Not sure if there is a variation between stock standby performance and r4 performance.

Guest removed-14
I'm curious where they got the 4 days standby from but actually dukla probably gets that due to the claimed 90 hours.

Well even by 10% every 8 hours that's just over 3 days. My 10% over 12 hours should easily reach 4 whole days on standby.