Battery life in standby

Guest MarkoUK

Guest Sir Gash

For those of you interested in trying Airplane mode but also Bluetooth, here is how to do it:

- Make sure you have the Android SDK installed and the correct USB drivers

- Connect your Vega to your PC (make sure USB Debugging is enabled)

- Open a Command Prompt to your tools folder (e.g. C:\android-sdk\tools)

- Type the following in (one line at time):

adb remount /data

adb shell

sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

UPDATE system set value='bluetooth,wifi' WHERE name='airplane_mode_toggleable_radios';

- Reboot the Vega

You should now be able to enable both Bluetooth and WiFi in Airplane mode

I think I have narrowed down my problem to Ebuddy. ...

the problem is that even when logged out of ebuddy it still runs in the background and eats battery even though battery usage does not show this. Very strange but there u go. Battery usage is normal as long as I terminate the ebuddy process.

I was having problems with battery life as well. I was testing by turning it off full charged at 100%, disconnecting from the charger and then leaving it when I went to bed at approx midnight. I would wake at 8am the next day and battery would be at 66%ish. Quite a shock when hearing reports of 10% etc on here for a 12hr period.

Anyway, after some investigation it turns out that Email, Twitter and facebook are the culprits. Even though there is no wifi due to the Vega turning it off when the screen goes off, those 3 apps constantly poll regardless, trying to access their relevant servers. By changing the apps to be refreshed manually instead of auto updating my battery life has improved dramtically. In fact last night performing the same test only used 8% battery.

Just thought I'd mention it so others can test too.

Guest removed-14
I was having problems... <snip>

Thanks for posting that. I was starting to feel like I had a 'Super Vega' with a magical battery! Hopefully others can use this information to extend the battery life on each charge.

Guest swarrans
I was having problems with battery life as well. I was testing by turning it off full charged at 100%, disconnecting from the charger and then leaving it when I went to bed at approx midnight. I would wake at 8am the next day and battery would be at 66%ish. Quite a shock when hearing reports of 10% etc on here for a 12hr period.

Anyway, after some investigation it turns out that Email, Twitter and facebook are the culprits. Even though there is no wifi due to the Vega turning it off when the screen goes off, those 3 apps constantly poll regardless, trying to access their relevant servers. By changing the apps to be refreshed manually instead of auto updating my battery life has improved dramtically. In fact last night performing the same test only used 8% battery.

That's useful - thanks. How did you change them to manual though? There seems to be a setting for email ("never") but Twitter I could only select 4 hours as the max refresh and on Facebook I couldn't find a setting at all! I'd prefer them all to be manual like you have...

Go to Settings, Account & Sync Settings, You should be able to turn them off in there.

I actually uninstalled the apps, and just use the web page for them now instead, but the above should work too.

Guest SilentMobius

I'm not sure how. Normally I'd agree but I've tested even something as simple as the alarm. For me if the vega has been asleep for more than a min or so _all_ android processing gets halted (unlike every other Android device I've ever used)

Alarm, Feedr, Guardian unlimited, adb all fire up the _second_ the screen comes on but do not run at all if the screen is off (even though they are supposed to)

Maybe I need to knock up a test app to find out what's really going on.

That kinda defeats the object of having the apps if you remove the auto refresh ... Also my Acer Liquid has the exact same apps using the exact same settings without it drain the battery that fast. So even though im sure turning off the polling would improve the battery (as it would on my Liquid) still not convinced that the battery life issue is being caused by that

That kinda defeats the object of having the apps if you remove the auto refresh ... Also my Acer Liquid has the exact same apps using the exact same settings without it drain the battery that fast. So even though im sure turning off the polling would improve the battery (as it would on my Liquid) still not convinced that the battery life issue is being caused by that

I agree, very pointless to have them if I'm not going to use them, which I am, but I removed them in order to test if they were causing the excessive drain I seemed to get. I will put them back on again after I test again tonight to see if battery drain is resolved for sure and it wasn't a one off. I do know that if I start some music playing using PowerAmp it still continues after the screen is off, so apps do run when in standby, so it makes sense to me that whatever is causing the battery drain is running wild. I did notice something today on my Dell Streak and that is the Email app sometimes gets stuck running at 100% CPU, and email is something I do use as well on the Vega. Whether this is a Streak problem or a Froyo problem which could also affect the Vega, I am unsure, but will see if that causes the streak battery to drain as well. I'll keep looking.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chrishudsons

I am running r5 and having same issue. I have just found that if you use one of the extended power control widgets from the market you can get into mobile data settings (not available from settings menu directly) and by default access mobile data networks apears to be on. Have turned off and will see if this impacts battery life and report back.

Guest princeotter
I am running r5 and having same issue. I have just found that if you use one of the extended power control widgets from the market you can get into mobile data settings (not available from settings menu directly) and by default access mobile data networks apears to be on. Have turned off and will see if this impacts battery life and report back.

Which widget did you use?

Edited by princeotter

Guest chrishudsons

I used power control + but if you search 2g/3g there are a couple of free ones. That said I'm not sure it makes any difference. I was fully charged at 9pm last night then browsed for 20 mins and left. When i turned on this morning i am on 12%!

Guest chrishudsons

I have reflashed back to stock and tested and this does not have the same issue with drain in standby. I am now trying a Rom without the performance pack and initially I am getting a drain of 2-5% per hour in standby which whilst still nowhere near the reported 4 days of stock is better than the 10% an hour I was getting with the pack. What are other people using that are reporting better performance?

Guest matthijskox

I have the same issue with battery life in standby. I am running 1.06.5 with Paul's ROM and performance pack R5 (which work great by the way!). I already tried switching airplane mode on overnight, but to no avail. Yesterday, i left my vega overnight in airplane mode at 59%, this morning it was down to 21% and dropped to 18-15-11-6 % in a matter of 10 minutes! Very strange....

Does anyone have a definitive solution to this?

Edited by matthijskox

Guest matthijskox
I can see no reason why, but is it just me or does the battery last better with r6 - both in use and in standby?

G

Mmm, can't say the same, it seems similar to r5.

Guest matthijskox
Completely fixed for me by r6. Now only using 1-2% an hour in standby.

Hmm, strange, do you have a clue what settings might cause the battery drain on my vega? I have push email enabled BTW.

Hmm, strange, do you have a clue what settings might cause the battery drain on my vega? I have push email enabled BTW.

So do I, but on R6 battery drain is minimal. Using it 2-3 hrs per evening, and only charging every 3-4 days when it gets to about 20%.

I really don't see any issues with battery drain, especially since i was using Bluetooth for about 2 hrs last night trying to pair with my N97, and the N97 died first!

For some reason, Advent left the phone software components of Android still in the system, and even though there isn't any hardware this is consuming cpu cycles (this is what the Device Standby item is).

I have written some instructions on how to disable these functions... I've been running it on my Vega for a week or so, and it seems to improve battery life on standby.

Tweak for more battery life on the Advent Vega

Guest hullmackem
For some reason, Advent left the phone software components of Android still in the system, and even though there isn't any hardware this is consuming cpu cycles (this is what the Device Standby item is).

I have written some instructions on how to disable these functions... I've been running it on my Vega for a week or so, and it seems to improve battery life on standby.

Tweak for more battery life on the Advent Vega

Bump....

I'upgraded to r6 and still lost 14% last night :D that link doesn't work by the way.

Is this still an issue for people as well as me?

Guest matthijskox

This did the trick for me, battery life is great now!

Removing /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk and /system/app/Phone.apk (in this order!)

- this will give a repeating error

- perform a hard shutdown by holding on/off button for 5 secs

- reboot

Edited by matthijskox

Guest Sir Gash
This did the trick for me, battery life is great now!

Removing /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk and /system/app/Phone.apk (in this order!)

- this will give a repeating error

- perform a hard shutdown by holding on/off button for 5 secs

- reboot

I thought they were left in for app or service compatibility, just in case something makes an API call to them. Have you noticed any apps FC'ing since doing this (especially any Google app)?

Might have it to give it a try for the hell of it :D

Guest emergant
I thought they were left in for app or service compatibility, just in case something makes an API call to them. Have you noticed any apps FC'ing since doing this (especially any Google app)?

Might have it to give it a try for the hell of it :D

I just moved them to my sdcard so I could put them back if necessary. Haven't benchmarked but no real problems. I have a signal strength meter as noted elsewhere and one of the screens under about device fails. Forget which one. No problem to me