Battery life in standby

Guest MarkoUK

Guest hullmackem
This did the trick for me, battery life is great now!

Removing /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk and /system/app/Phone.apk (in this order!)

- this will give a repeating error

- perform a hard shutdown by holding on/off button for 5 secs

- reboot

Help, it wont let me delete the files :D

I just get an error and ifilemanager closes.

Edited by hullmackem

Guest Thresherinc
For some reason, Advent left the phone software components of Android still in the system, and even though there isn't any hardware this is consuming cpu cycles (this is what the Device Standby item is).

I have written some instructions on how to disable these functions... I've been running it on my Vega for a week or so, and it seems to improve battery life on standby.

Tweak for more battery life on the Advent Vega

I used this tweak and so far it looks like it's worked, as stated you get a no signal notification, I also found that Settings > About Device > Device Status just crashes the settings process.

Be nice if these gubbins were removed from a MOD and the signal bar removed too.

But as I've only just started reading about Android I'll leave it to the professionals.

:D

Guest matthijskox

Hmm, it seems that i was a bit premature. Last night i lost 50% (in 9 hours) in standby....... Seems to be some app i must have started that eats the battery since it does not always happen... Any suggestions?

Mine is the same too. It loses nearly half the battery overnight. I have now removed the telephone files as above but it still dropped battery last night.

I have been through and checked my apps to see what is set to sync. Nothing is being listed as using battery power in the list.

Guest Lennyuk
Mine is the same too. It loses nearly half the battery overnight. I have now removed the telephone files as above but it still dropped battery last night.

I have been through and checked my apps to see what is set to sync. Nothing is being listed as using battery power in the list.

if your having battery issues you may need to calibrate the battery.

Flashing files on any android phone can potentially mess up what the device thinks the correct battery levels are, so its either best to flash new roms when full and keep the power supply in, or when not full and don't have a power supply in.

The best way to fix this would be to drain the battery completely then charge to full, when full turn device off and charge till full again (only problem is no real way to tell when its off is there?)

This should reset the level so that when the device says its 100% it should be 100% (now don't get all pedantic on me and say you can never charge 100%... this is not the time :D )

Guest Sir Gash
if your having battery issues you may need to calibrate the battery.

Flashing files on any android phone can potentially mess up what the device thinks the correct battery levels are, so its either best to flash new roms when full and keep the power supply in, or when not full and don't have a power supply in.

The best way to fix this would be to drain the battery completely then charge to full, when full turn device off and charge till full again (only problem is no real way to tell when its off is there?)

This should reset the level so that when the device says its 100% it should be 100% (now don't get all pedantic on me and say you can never charge 100%... this is not the time :D )

If you have ClockworkMod recovery installed, there should be an option to clear the battery stats. I recommend you do this when fully charged.

Guest matthijskox
If you have ClockworkMod recovery installed, there should be an option to clear the battery stats. I recommend you do this when fully charged.

Thanks all! I've tried CWM once but it bricked my vega (temporarily at least) so i am not keen on using this....

Is there another way to clear the stats?

Edited by matthijskox

Guest Lennyuk

yeah I made my post with the thinking that most people here still have not installed clockwork mod :D

Guest matthijskox

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I will now try calibrating the battery. Now i want to put phone.apk and telephoneprovider.apk back to /system/app. Is it sufficient to just push them or should i also chmod them?

Guest Sir Gash
Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I will now try calibrating the battery. Now i want to put phone.apk and telephoneprovider.apk back to /system/app. Is it sufficient to just push them or should i also chmod them?

Not sure, but out of curiosity, why do you want to put them back? Have you encountered any problems since removing them? I recently did it a couple of days ago and there seems to be a bit of improvement in standby. I used to keep my Vega in airplane mode (which helped) but the battery stats still showed a drain for 'Device Standby'.

• 1 month later...
Guest chrisrich85
Not sure, but out of curiosity, why do you want to put them back? Have you encountered any problems since removing them? I recently did it a couple of days ago and there seems to be a bit of improvement in standby. I used to keep my Vega in airplane mode (which helped) but the battery stats still showed a drain for 'Device Standby'.

wrong thread sorry :D

Edited by chrisrich85

Guest bhargav27

Don't know why but my Vega stays warm even in idle. Also the battery use is quite erratic as I noticed it went from 69 to 33 in about 3 hours on standby. Any ideas?

Guest jastonas
Don't know why but my Vega stays warm even in idle. Also the battery use is quite erratic as I noticed it went from 69 to 33 in about 3 hours on standby. Any ideas?

I am having the same problem :D

I just posted it here as well as in xda but I havent found anything :(

Guest mancity12

The only time I ever have a problem with the battery on my Vega is if I play a game.

For example, my battery was 60%+ and then I turned on FPSE for about 5 minutes (literally 5 minutes at the most) and then powered the Vega off completely and turned it back on and it was at 23%!!! :D

This is the only time I get the problem and im going to test it a few more times as surely this cannot be right, but it's definitely only when I play games and doesn't matter if it's only for a few minutes.