Data back & restoration across ROMs

Guest adzman808

Guest adzman808

Hi guys,

with all these cool ROMs floating around we seem to be performing so many flashes that we should be wearing dirty rain coats :)

(i might add questions to this as i think of them...)

I also realise that there are apps that (claim to) provide back ups, but even a curisory glance thru the various threads shows that these aren't as robust as can be & that APP DATA seems to be a particular bug-bear

How to i back up...

wifi settings?

~ would copying wpa.conf & then pasting it into the new ROM transfer all my joined wifi networks to a new build?

swype

i've created a lot of custom words in swype & of course prioritised various words by the process of selection

~ is there a file i can (would be prob custom.dic in winmo :)) copy to a safe place to avoid setting up all my custom words again?

ring tones / noficiations?

~ same question, as these captured in build.prop or is there another file that i can copy to a safe place & overwrite the existing file in a new build to save having to set everything up again

screen / security settings

~ yup, you guessed it - is there a file that i can transpose between builds to capture these settings?

desktop background / shortcuts

~ as above, any file to simply copy accross?

Thanks very much in advance

Guest adzman808
MyBackup Pro or Ti Backup form the market

for things like wifi and build.prop its a manual task i think :)

cheers

i've heard bad things about Ti DATA restore... (typically great for apps, bad for data)

i really hoped to be able to control percisely what i restored by using 'system' files....

Guest andycqos
You can use the Dell Backup and Restore app in 2.2, i found it's pretty good for restoring SMS's and apps.

This. Works much, much better than MyBackup or Titanium, in my experience

Guest adzman808

cheers guys

i'm not bothered about apps

i wanna restore

swype custom words

all wifi networks (will try the 3g google thing tho... thanks)

i'd like to restore

desktop / icons

ringtones / sounds

passwords / screen lock pattern

cheers