Wireless not connecting?

Guest English Haze

Guest English Haze

My G2/Hero has suddenly stopped connecting to my home wireless network.

All other wireless devices I have work fine (Wii, G1 phone, Vega tablet, netbook) so it's not the wireless router (Thomson/O2 wireless box III). When I take my phone to the office it connects to the guest network there fine so my phone's wifi is working OK there.

I've tried changing the channel on the router to various settings manually and restarting everything but the phone refuses to connect. When I try to select the SSID to connect the wifi changes to disconnected status and I have to turn wifi off and on again.

I had VillainROM 12 installed when this started to happen then, last night I wiped and installed the MoDaCo ROM r5 baked from the kitchen. My radio version is higher than the version supplied in the kitchen so I didn't select it when baking the ROM. My baseband version is 63.18.55.06PU_6.35.15.14

Anything else I can try? I'm totally confused why the different parts work apart but not together.

P.S. The wireless is secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK and the pass code is definitely right. I know it off by heart now!

P.P.S I installed the Wireless Analyzer app on the phone and it shows all the networks around me and mine is the strongest signal. Changing the channel manually I see it moving around the channels on the display so there is no issue with seeing the wireless network I just can't connect to it!

Edited by English Haze

Guest English Haze

34 views and no suggestions?

The ridiculous thing is I can attempt to connect my phone to neighbouring protected wireless networks and the phone can be seen to attempt to obtain an IP address and then show unsuccessful (as expected because the key is invalid). Every other wireless device I have in the house (eight!) connects perfectly to my wireless access point but my phone? no! not, even an attempt to obtain an IP address! And it used to work fine up until 3 days ago. My access point allows any wireless connection automatically (with a valid key of course) and the DHCP address range has plenty of spare addresses.

The ROM versions I have tried have no regulatory domain menu option under advanced network options so I can't change the channel on the phone that way so I followed some instructions I found on XDA to edit the build properties file manually to add channels=14 and still no joy.

I am completely out of ideas.

I've put VillainROM12 back on and it's still the same as with MoDaCo r5.

Guest ptruman
34 views and no suggestions?

The ridiculous thing is I can attempt to connect my phone to neighbouring protected wireless networks and the phone can be seen to attempt to obtain an IP address and then show unsuccessful (as expected because the key is invalid). Every other wireless device I have in the house (eight!) connects perfectly to my wireless access point but my phone? no! not, even an attempt to obtain an IP address! And it used to work fine up until 3 days ago. My access point allows any wireless connection automatically (with a valid key of course) and the DHCP address range has plenty of spare addresses.

The ROM versions I have tried have no regulatory domain menu option under advanced network options so I can't change the channel on the phone that way so I followed some instructions I found on XDA to edit the build properties file manually to add channels=14 and still no joy.

I am completely out of ideas.

I've put VillainROM12 back on and it's still the same as with MoDaCo r5.

Lo,

This might sound really stupid, but have you rebooted? No. I'm not being facetious, I'll explain why, as it happened to me :)

I have a WPA2 (Enterprise) WiFi network, and when I setup my WiFi profile, I enabled credential storage, with a password. Now, when I reboot, I cannot sign into WiFi until I go to the profile, try to view it and enter the credential storage password. Once that's done, I can dis/enable WiFi and it connects.

The other thing you may have is that sometimes, the wpa_supplicant goes loopy. If you have root, delete /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf and restart wifi, it'll rebuild the file. I have had problems when I've tweaked it and permissions changed (broke the client), and also sometimes editing the eapol_version can fix issues on a couple of networks.

Guest ptruman
Thanks for your reply. I have re booted many many times. Thanks for the file tip but that didn't work either. Still the same problem.

Have you re enabled credential storage AFTER the reboot? As mentioned, mine won't connect until I enter the credential password AFTER rebooting.

Also, as mentioned, check (or add and change) the eapol_version - this got another android device connecting to WiFi (X10 Mini Pro), even though it could see the network.

No reason why it should randomly stop working mind you, but it's worth a go.

Edited by ptruman

Guest English Haze

Nope, not a thing still. I've even baked a new ROM from the Hero kitchen and included the radio from there and flashed that. I'm getting desperate now.

My phone is frantically telling me there are wireless networks to connect to and is quite happy to try and get an IP addresses from all of them except mine! Every other device in the flat connects to the wireless faultlessly. I've tried taking the security off, using WEP only. Nothing wants to work.

If the phone didn't connect to any wireless network I'd be satisfied that there was a fault on the phone but it connects to every other network I can see (and fails the security check). The status goes to "unsuccessful" for all other networks but for mine it doesn't even try for an IP address it goes straight to "disconnected". Nothing appears in the router log to show any connection errors.

The WiFi Analyser app sees all the networks around and shows mine as clearly the strongest signal and in a fairly clear channel range. But no connection!

I'm ready to tear my hair out now.

*edit* Trying the Cyanogen 6.1 ROM now.

*edit* And it still doesn't work!

Edited by English Haze

Guest ptruman
Nope, not a thing still. I've even baked a new ROM from the Hero kitchen and included the radio from there and flashed that. I'm getting desperate now.

My phone is frantically telling me there are wireless networks to connect to and is quite happy to try and get an IP addresses from all of them except mine! Every other device in the flat connects to the wireless faultlessly. I've tried taking the security off, using WEP only. Nothing wants to work.

If the phone didn't connect to any wireless network I'd be satisfied that there was a fault on the phone but it connects to every other network I can see (and fails the security check). The status goes to "unsuccessful" for all other networks but for mine it doesn't even try for an IP address it goes straight to "disconnected". Nothing appears in the router log to show any connection errors.

The WiFi Analyser app sees all the networks around and shows mine as clearly the strongest signal and in a fairly clear channel range. But no connection!

I'm ready to tear my hair out now.

*edit* Trying the Cyanogen 6.1 ROM now.

*edit* And it still doesn't work!

Manually set an IP address. If the only thing it's failing is getting an IP from *your* network, it would imply your router is not happy with the DHCP request - have you rebooted the routers? Also, check your router admin pages to see if your DHCP pool is large enough, and/or that it's not trying to allocate an already allocated IP.

If a fixed IP (that you know is free) works, then the problem is more than likely with DHCP on the router.

Guest English Haze

Already done all of those things. The phone doesn't even get to ask for an IP address. Nothing shows in the router logs at all

Like I say, I'm running out of ideas entirely.

Edited by English Haze

Guest English Haze

OK, I am now suspecting that O2 have remotely updated my router firmware and this is what has broken my connection. I just connected up my old netgear wireless router and the phone jumped onto it in an instant! I can't get onto the internet (anyone know if I can piggyback one router onto another?) But wireless is perfect.

I think I will be calling O2 tomorrow. There is no online firmware download that I can find.

Guest ptruman
SOLVED!

A complete hard reset of my router and reconfiguration.

There you go - if the phone was connecting to other networks, it would imply the network was the problem.

My routers periodically 'decide to be odd', but it's rare, and every so often they restart their own processes - but DHCP sometimes fails, or (more annoying) the authentication fails, or the wireless mesh (I have two routers)....

Still, glad you have it going.

Guest English Haze

But it was the fact that everything else connected fine that threw me. 8 other wireless devices had no problems whatsoever. It was a desperate last ditch solution to wipe the router back to factory default settings (not just a restart or re-boot) and reconfigure.

I'll put that one down to experience and remember to try that next time.