E-Compass and Orientation locking

Guest ak47m

I've been on Steve's Streakdroid roms for quite some time now and I just noticed something weird. While using Google Maps in portrait mode, I was testing out the GPS and noticed my compass was working perfectly fine, but then when I switched to a Compass app or Maverick GPS lite (while in portrait mode), the device can't seem to get the compass right (it's off by 90 degrees). If I hold my phone in landscape in these apps, it does get the correct direction, which is weird because Google Maps in landscape gets the compass correct. idk if it is a bug in Steve's 1.5, the apps themselves, or something with the device itself, but I think I remember my Compass app working properly in portrait mode. Tell me I'm not crazy xD

Also in LauncherPro in Preferences>Behavior Settings>Enable Auto-Rotation, if you disable it then the orientation goes to landscape, which is quite annoying. I know the Streak is meant to be used in landscape but can the default orientation of the device be switched to portrait somehow? Quite annoying also when I'm holding my Streak in portrait and ChompSMS gives me a Quick Reply box, but it switches my screen to landscape... I had to disable it and use SMS Popup.

Compass problem solved! Steve's 1.5.1 fixed it! :)

Edited by ak47m

Guest popetodd

I've found with the compass you just have to open Navigation or maps and walk around for a bit, a walk through the park in several directions is good.

The compass usually works after this treatment.

I've found with the compass you just have to open Navigation or maps and walk around for a bit, a walk through the park in several directions is good.

The compass usually works after this treatment.

I probably should have been clearer, I meant in all the other apps the compass doesn't work in portrait. In Google Maps, the compass works portrait and landscape.

Guest stillerwinter
I probably should have been clearer, I meant in all the other apps the compass doesn't work in portrait. In Google Maps, the compass works portrait and landscape.

Dell screwed with the system orientation. Normally android is for portrait devices. The only fix I know is to use ADW.Launcher with the system persistent operation on (forces the launcher in portrait).

And sometimes my compass stops working?! Restarts only after a reboot.

For a portrait lockscreen I use widget locker. It's great.