Rom upgrades

Guest ho66es

ok I wish to upgrade? to v1.06.5 and then to the latest MCR. I have spent a little time setting up the vega how I like it and wonder how best to ensure it will look? the same after the upgrade process.

I don't mind if I have to start from scratch apart from purchased apps but layouts wallpapers and account settings would be nice to not have to reapply after each upgrade. I am happy enough with the upgrade process but would like to make it as painless as possible :)

Guest warriorscot

Most apps seem to have something form of backup option. I use the astra file managers application backup tool to reinstall the apps I want and then load the applications individual backups if they have them but really the only two that need that are my keyboard, my browser and launcher pro.

after 1.06.5 I was back to new vega state, i applied Pauls R5 and then used used the stock backup tool - Settings/software tool/backup (thanks debs) and a full power cycle I am back to state I was in prior to update cept for new market etc.

The notification was full width until after the power off / power on at end of the above.

titanium backup fails to get su status on re install but samba has no problem getting su status

all in all I am a happy bunny and look forward to r6 from Paul.

I did the upgrade from an xp laptop and was almost simple.

Thanks again for the help and to Paul for R5

Guest rferrett

So for me money is a little bit tight until after Xmas so will I need to pay for Titanuim backup if I want to do R5-R6 or will the stock toold do the business?

So for me money is a little bit tight until after Xmas so will I need to pay for Titanuim backup if I want to do R5-R6 or will the stock toold do the business?

stock did the business for me, all wallpapers desktops etc retained, launcher pro seemed to retain settings etc, I had to re pair a bluetooth gps but that was it. Make sure you are not confusing the rom upgrades and MCR upgrades. I upgraded the system Rom and pauls cooked rom. It is my belief they are required to be done seperately:

I went from 1.04 with r4 mcr to 1.06 with r5 mcr

1/ backed up apps

2/ upgraded rom to 1.06

3/ booted up fully

4/ put usb in debug

5/ applied R5 MCR from Paul

6/ booted up fully

7/ checked settings

8/ restored apps

9/ powered off

10/ powered on

not sure if steps 9 & 10 are needed but after doing a lot of work on a system I do like following that final step

Guest warriorscot

I had a friend give me the titanium backup apk and it was a not to for me we it couldn't get su so it didn't work. Seemed a common problem so I would hold off on buting it.

Edited by warriorscot

Guest benjer172
Thanks for the tip! Works perfect saved me hours

I had an unsuccessful go with the stock back up tool last night. I was prompted to type in a file name for the back up file and after hitting OK the Vega just shutdown. Being a complete Android newbie, I wasn't sure if this was part of the backup procedure or not. I used Astro file manager to both browse for and search for the back up file, but nothing. Tried again and the same thing happened. Am I doing something wrong or is the Vega misbehaving? Thanks for your help in advance.

I had an unsuccessful go with the stock back up tool last night. I was prompted to type in a file name for the back up file and after hitting OK the Vega just shutdown. Being a complete Android newbie, I wasn't sure if this was part of the backup procedure or not. I used Astro file manager to both browse for and search for the back up file, but nothing. Tried again and the same thing happened. Am I doing something wrong or is the Vega misbehaving? Thanks for your help in advance.

it appears to shut down then the green android appears for a few minutes while the backup takes place

Guest debs626

it appears to shut down then the green android appears for a few minutes while the backup takes place

ho66es is correct, and your Vega will seem to shut down whilst its restoring your apps too. The backup file is stored in the root of your SD card, I've made a habit of backing up my backup to DropBox.

I've used both Tatanium backup and MyBackup on my phone and both work well but the Stock Backup on the Vega does exactly what I want it to do so I'm happy with it

Edited by debs626

Guest benjer172
ho66es is correct, and your Vega will seem to shut down whilst its restoring your apps too. The backup file is stored in the root of your SD card, I've made a habit of backing up my backup to DropBox.

I've used both Tatanium backup and MyBackup on my phone and both work well but the Stock Backup on the Vega does exactly what I want it to do so I'm happy with it

Thanks both of you, I'll give it another try this evening.

In the end I used Titanium Backup and the plan was to do as you've mentioned above and use the DropBox app to transfer the backup file to My DropBox folders for safe keeping. This was scuppered by Titanium creating a backup file for each app and I couldn't be bothered to move each file individually which the DropBox app seems to force you to do. Laptop and cable were out of reach :) plus I'm trying hard to prove to myself that I don't really need to use the laptop all that often anymore ;)