Alternative for Extended Controls?

Guest BigBlue007

Guest BigBlue007

Can anyone recommend an alternative to Extended Controls that works on the Streak with Froyo (official 318 in my case)? With "working" I am especially referring to the capability to enable/disable the Mobile Data Connection checkbox. Extended Controls can ENABLE, but not DISABLE it, and even if it's enabled, the green lid unter the toggle button remains off.

I already tried SwitchPro, but this one doesn't work either. It requires WLAN to be disabled in order for the Mobile Data toggle to work.

Guest ashdragon
Can anyone recommend an alternative to Extended Controls that works on the Streak with Froyo (official 318 in my case)? With "working" I am especially referring to the capability to enable/disable the Mobile Data Connection checkbox. Extended Controls can ENABLE, but not DISABLE it, and even if it's enabled, the green lid unter the toggle button remains off.

I already tried SwitchPro, but this one doesn't work either. It requires WLAN to be disabled in order for the Mobile Data toggle to work.

http://www.androlib.com/android.applicatio...quick-zmDq.aspx

Try Quick settings and Quick Battery together.

You can use the quick battery widget and set it up that when you press on the widget it activates quicksettings.

Quicksettings can be customised to allow quicker access a wide variety of settings, it's actually quite good (and both apps are free)

Guest BigBlue007

Unfortunately this doesn't really work as well. I have set up both tools as suggested. In Quicksettings, I enabled WLAN, Mobile Network and BT toggles. If I disabled Mobile Data before, the button lid is off, as expected. Now when I hit the button, I can see that WLAN is disabled automatically, then Mobile Data is enabled, then WLAN is enabled again, but once WLAN is back on, Mobile Data gets disabled again. However, when I now go to the stock settings app, the "Mobile Data" checkbox is actually enabled. So Quicksettings can enable the checkbox, but not disable it.

Guest T_r_i_s

Extended Controls 3.8.4 works fine on my Streak (it did on both Steve's 1.1.1 and O2 official Froyo)...

Guest Chris J

Extended controls works fine for me too. Official 2.2 (12821-318 build). I picked it because it seemed to one of the few controls that disabled data without renaming the APN.

i have installed both.

Quick setting is one that is more reliable most of the time.

Extended control has played tricks with me when i used steve s roms.

However yet to test it out with the stock rom

Guest BigBlue007
do you have the problem with the icon which has symbols "3G->G" sort of that thing? if that, then, well, that is not supposed to do the thing as you expect.

Yes, I know. Therefore I did of course NOT used this button, but instead the correct one with the two arrows pointing up and down.

I gave Extended Controls another try but it really doesn't work for me. The button is perfectly able to ENABLE the "Mobile Data" checkbox, but it cannot DISABLE it, because it does not realize that (and when) it's already enabled. That means, if it's disabled, the green indicator of the button is off (which is correct). Now I press the button and a popup appears saying "Enabling...". This does work. "Phsically", if you want so, meaning that when I check in the settings, the checkbox is now indeed enabled. BUT, the green indicator on the button remains off, and when I hit the button the next time, the popup again says "Enabling...". So the button can only enable, but not disable Mobile Data. At least not on my Streak.

I did, however, found a different solution. The widget also supports disabling Mobile Data by renaming the APN. I tried this option earlier as well, and found it not working as well. However, this was indeed my own fault, because I had a second access point configured (for MMS service), which had the same APN, and obviously, after the primary access point was renamed, the secondary one was automatically used. Since I don't use MMS anyway, I simply removed this access point, and now the method of modifying the APN works perfectly fine for me.

I am however still curious why the other method doesn't work for me. Can it be that this method need to mess around with the WLAN settings somehow? I have "Y5 Battery Saver" installed which automatically disables WIFI when I'm not in range of known WLAN routers. On the other hand it automatically enabled WIFI right away if it's disabled (manually or by any sort of tools) when within range of a known WLAN router. So if Extended Controls does something to WLAN while toggling Mobile Data, Y5 might interfere with it. I cannot try it right now, will do it later this day.

Edited by BigBlue007